Corners.

TroyDyer

I prefer Shotton throw ins to corners. Lot better chance on them. I remember a few years back in a Stoke game, the opposition defender tried to clear the ball for a throw, and then he put it out for a corner instead, because Stoke had Delap and Delap throws were harder to defend than a corner. Same thing with Shotton imo.

And Delap is on our (youth) coaching staff I'm sure he'll have some input into long throw routines 

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I remember posting the percent how many corners lead to goals maybe year ago?

It was from the book The Numbers Game (excellent reading by the way) and it was very, very low indeed. Maybe under 1%?

So especially with our players, I wouldn't mind if we just started keeping the ball from the corners. (Like Barcelona did some time ago) We have only two good players in attacking headers, Shotton and Martin. Keogh and Bucko are both good only defensively.

The lad Keane, who we had on loan, looked like he would score from every single corner we had...

2% is the number you are looking for. We don't attack them from far enough out in my opinion and would like to see Fozzy being given more freedom to go up.

At least we do pull two defenders out now by putting another player next to the corner taker. Been asking for that for ages.

Cardiff scored a corner past us this season. In my opinion, it's such a cheap way to score/concede goals.

I think we've been quite good in general. I can't remember the last time we conceded a penalty at the Ipro or when when we last conceded direct from a freekick.

I always see some cracking long range goals on the Championship's FLS, but fortunantely none ever come against us.

I reckon the best goal we've conceded this season was at Watford, also Bournemouth's first was class too. Worst goal has to be both of Blackburn's at their place. Both goals required zilch amount of skill and were frankly ridiculous to concede.

I liked the set piece we scored from against Leeds. The players really worked the space and made it impossible for the leeds players to man mark. However although it probably wouldn't work well against zonal marking I would love to see it more.

Our most successful corner play seems to be when we flick it on from the front post but overall we need to be more inventive.

Archived