What age to take the little one.

ollycutts1982

I started going very early, I'd say about 4 occasionally and had a season ticket with my dad since I was 7.

The key to get their life revolved around DCFC is to do what my dad did. My mum and dad have told me that when I was about three (I don't remember this so don't hold it against me) I got my mum to tell my dad I actually support Manchester United and England. I hid behind the washing machine while she told my dad this. His reply was that's fine, but he sleeps in the shed (don't think he was joking).

Being too scared to sleep in the shed, I accepted Derby County in to my blood and despite some of the painful downs, I haven't regretted it since!

I can see why so many "glory" supporters support United etc if they don't have any real influence to support a different team.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My lad is 6, he loves playing football but trying to get him to sit through 90 minutes is hard, unless he has a big bag of haribos, a drink, packet of crisps, curly whirly, wine gums, cheddar cheese strings, hubba bubba chewing gum and my phone at HT to ring his mum to tell her he's been such a good boy and no Daddy didn't even buy my anything from the shop before we came to football. 

I'd say another couple of years we might get to miss the phone call out at HT. 

I started going very early, I'd say about 4 occasionally and had a season ticket with my dad since I was 7.

The key to get their life revolved around DCFC is to do what my dad did. My mum and dad have told me that when I was about three (I don't remember this so don't hold it against me) I got my mum to tell my dad I actually support Manchester United and England. I hid behind the washing machine while she told my dad this. His reply was that's fine, but he sleeps in the shed (don't think he was joking).

Being too scared to sleep in the shed, I accepted Derby County in to my blood and despite some of the painful downs, I haven't regretted it since!

I can see why so many "glory" supporters support United etc if they don't have any real influence to support a different team.

I told my dad when I was 6 that I wanted to be a Liverpool fan (some kids at school were) and he response was "No you're sausaging not"...

He then took my pocket money away... at 6 I didn't actually HAVE pocket money so he had to announce that he was giving me pocket money just to take it away...

He then also used that confiscated pocket money to buy me a Derby season ticket... And we've been going for the last 23 years...

I can't believe how the kids of today are pampered; seats, soft drinks, crisps, ipads, give me a break!
When I were a lad you went in the boy's enclosure when you were old enough to see over the wall standing on your orange box.

Here's a picture of us singing, "What the f**g hell is that!," at the crap mascot we had in those days:

gQLms0G

Took my eldest daughter when she was 7 (it was Leeds and also Her first 'Sack The Board' protest outside PP). She's now 16 and a massive Rams Fan.

TBH, IMO I don't really like seeing very young children at matches when they are completely not interested in the game.

Going to take one of my 7 year old twins hopefully to the Watford game when I'm back at Easter - I hope it has the same effect.

v9qFxAK" />

Took my lad for the first time when he was 4.  We lost 2-1 at Watford and he cried when we scored (Mark Pembridge free kick) because of the noise.  He's 23 now, has the seat beside me and we have been home and away, seen great times and not so great at the BBG and Ipro and elsewhere. 

So take him and have the best fun as a dad that you ever will, Ollycutts. And if you have a daughter take her too. I envy you starting out!

Four pieces of advice:

1) make the first game early or late in the season so that it's warmer

2) if you can, make it a friendly so that the crowd is lower and you can leave early if you need to without missing too much

3) Try and make it a game close to where you live so that there's not too much travel and you're home in good time.

4) take your own food/drink so no queues and plenty of energy

I took my daughter to an under 21 to sample it, and knowing we could leave early. She was able to run round and shout at the players, I followed this up with the recent cup game with her nephew who is also 5. Although they both sat through the game I wouldn't take them on a regular basis yet as it would ruin not only my experience, but there's and others around, getting bored, kicking seats, for example, is something I see from other children older than they are.

I do sit near someone who takes her baby, I reckon no older than 6 months, that is dedication for you.

My boy was about 4..fans started singing that the referee was something or other, so I told him it was vicar.....all match he sang the referee's a vicar!!

Daughter was nearly three at the play off final and my other daughter was four and season ticket holder at 6.....

All support the Rams and we live in Norwich  :)

I was first taken at 4, shared a season ticket at 5, and was fully signed up by 6.

I can't actually remember many games from around that time but I never questioned going. And living in Rushden at the time, I think the 90 minute car journey was more of a concern for my dad than the 90 minute football match in the middle - and I guess that made the football better for me.

It really depends on the kid. I've been told I had a long attention span for someone of my age but I do remember staring at the score board counting down the clock, although I wasn't alone in that in the John Gregory era..

It's a lot like knowing when to give a promising youth player a chance in the big time. I know your kids are running around shouting 'come on Derby' and wearing their Derby hats but they are just kids, wait and see how they develop before they get their opportunity at the iPro. 

You don't want to blood the youth too early cos if they have a bad game, they might not have the same passion for it.

To my shame, my first ever game was watching the Red Dogs ( thanks to having Grandparents who were Forest Mad and to my father who hated football !)

It was back in '71 and all I can remember is asking my Grandad what all the lights were that kept twinkling in the stand opposite ! It was folks lighting up and smoking their fags !).

Luckily , my life was put firmly back on track the following year and watched the Rams batter Arsenal 5-0 to begin my far better life as a Ram !

Took my nephew and niece to Southport game and they're 4/5 years old. They love it and am in talks with my brother and sister to see if ok to take them to match again for Reading fa cup tie... Fingers crossed!

You make it sound like a hostage negotiation, not a treat for the little ones!

My first granddaughter was 8, the next one 7, the last one 6. The younger ones are dying not to miss anything! They have all been hooked from their first game and they all watch TV games and have a much better understanding of the game than I did at that age! Each of them in their first season only came in first and last few games , so being cold wouldn't put them off.

We found it better to go in North stand. We started in west but they couldn't always follow the ball fast enough and when people leaned forward to follow the play, they couldn't see anything. Behind the goal they have the whole pitch in view all the time.

Only wish we could afford more than 8or 9 games a season!

Ha we started going at 10 and 11 and think we had an understanding and appreciation of what we were watching.

Couple of young lads sat behind us on boxing day (maybe 7 and 8) and seemed a bit disinterested. It was f****** cold and brum were pony but you get what I mean. The most exciting part seems to be the crisps/chocolate/pop at half time (or earlier if they're acting the arse!).

Fact he has a genuine interest (cos he knows how much you like it) helps.

I took my daughter when she had just become 5. Been to 5 home and one away now, and loves it. (Bolton and Bournemouth are our next two games)

I introduced her via non league games at mickleover sports from age two onwards. She mostly plays with friends, but a year ago took an interest in players names and would watch and cheerbthenteam a little.

At derby my experience is that aged 5 was perfect. She wanted to learn about players (captain, who my fave player is. Hers was Ibe !! And she liked to remember who wears which no. )

First game being wolves also helped. Noise go goals is daunting, but cope able as they are watching game and expect it.

I took her to a youth team game at Ipro 12months ago and was a waste of time. Made ground look massive, football and crowd was dull.

Also, as a treat I would wander in threw main entrance and up in a lift. Daughter loves that little treat and oldies pay her attention and chat to her. Personal choice, but main stand is more suited to kids starting out at games, and in the lower section of the upper tier gives a great view. Joking about the songs being rude, seeing the crowd are about to bounce all helps pass the time. Only two or three tomes have I had to lend my phone to play a game on for a few minutes.

Sounds like your lad has the bug, just needs the attention span. Obviously be prepared to go get a drink, go to loo to break it up. 90minutes is a very long time for kids doing anything.

Archived