Derby County v Bolton Wanderers

Mafiabob

You have some odd opinions at times Bris.

Reasons to go:

1. Derby are a local side (90 miles)

2. They are playing a top of the table side and the team needs their support

3. Supporters support their team

4. They have a new manager who needs their support

5. Their team is just starting to turn their results around

6. Their is no reason they can't go on a run and play for a play-off place

7. The feel good factor is back at Bolton due to the change in management

Only the glory hunters of supporters would not want to go.

When I lived in England, I used to love going to away games far more than at home. The die-hard supporters tend to.

There are those that do like going to away games, regardless of how well the team is doing, but those people are in the minority. I liked doing away games just to go to places I've never been before

But I'm be honest, I enjoyed it more during the George Burley season that the ensuing Phil Brown one.

Going back to your points though, the average football fan shows devotion and interest based on the team's performance. Bolton aren't exactly on an upward curve, especially not on their travels.

Each of your points could easily be argued:

1 - I wouldn't call 90 miles local when there are at least 8 Championship clubs closer

2 - I don't think fans feel obliged to go to games to support - they could support from their sofas

3 - Yes, but in different ways. I support Derby, not seen them in the flesh for 7 years

4 - That's not a reason to fork out 50 quid on a pretty pointless away game in their position

5 - Just starting? One win in six and two away wins in eight would suggest it's a slow turnaround.

6 - I'd say there is a very big reason why they won't go on a run and make the playoffs. They aren't good enough.

7 - The feel good factor has probably worn off now they've been dumped out the cup and continue to struggle in the league

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are those that do like going to away games, regardless of how well the team is doing, but those people are in the minority. I liked doing away games just to go to places I've never been before

But I'm be honest, I enjoyed it more during the George Burley season that the ensuing Phil Brown one.

Going back to your points though, the average football fan shows devotion and interest based on the team's performance. Bolton aren't exactly on an upward curve, especially not on their travels.

Each of your points could easily be argued:

1 - I wouldn't call 90 miles local when there are at least 8 Championship clubs closer

2 - I don't think fans feel obliged to go to games to support - they could support from their sofas

3 - Yes, but in different ways. I support Derby, not seen them in the flesh for 7 years

4 - That's not a reason to fork out 50 quid on a pretty pointless away game in their position

5 - Just starting? One win in six and two away wins in eight would suggest it's a slow turnaround.

6 - I'd say there is a very big reason why they won't go on a run and make the playoffs. They aren't good enough.

7 - The feel good factor has probably worn off now they've been dumped out the cup and continue to struggle in the league

Only 3 defeats in their last 16 games. That is top 6 form since their new manager took over.

Not bad considering they've played Liverpool twice in that run...a Liverpool side at full strength I might add.

They are absolutely on an upward curve and now that Lennon has had a transfer window and done a lot of business, they may well get stronger.

You can argue the facts till you're blue in the face but stats do not lie and the stats tell us they are picking up the points at the minute which is something they weren't doing under their previous regime.

Only 3 defeats in their last 16 games. That is top 6 form since their new manager took over.

Not bad considering they've played Liverpool twice in that run...a Liverpool side at full strength I might add.

They are absolutely on an upward curve and now that Lennon has had a transfer window and done a lot of business, they may well get stronger.

You can argue the facts till you're blue in the face but stats do not lie and the stats tell us they are picking up the points at the minute which is something they weren't doing under their previous regime.

I'm not denying that, they were truely horrific under DF that anything other than an improvement would have seen them bottom of the table by now.

But, their initial honeymoon period is over.

They've been very good at home since Lennon has come in, but their away form still smacks of a team struggling and certainly in recent defeats at Huddersfield and Rotherham they gave away so many chances.

Depending how you definte an upward curve, I'd say they've hit their peak and are now either levelling off on a mediocre line or dipping slightly back towards a struggling one.

Either way, the inital point I was making is there are plenty of facts which could cause the Bolton fans to stay away from this one. I don't understand how we as DCFC can have any complaints about their numbers when a few years ago were taking similar to clubs 90 miles away.

From the Burton Mail:

"Lennon's men are unbeaten in five league games".

So I imagined the tonking at Rotherham less than two weeks ago then? Shoddy journalism.

Their last seven

Bolton 2-2 Wolves

Rotherham 4-2 Bolton

Sheff Wed 1-2 Bolton

Bolton 1-1 Leeds

Bolton 1-0 Wigan

Huddersfield 2-1 Bolton

Bolton 2-1 Blackburn

Classic midtable form. I don't expect them to be anything amazing, but I'm sure they will be well organised and drilled. Just depends whether we can break them down. Even if we don't score early, we should be able to wear them down eventually with Martin, Bent, Ward, Dawkins, Ince and Lindgard at our disposal. To say nothing of Hughes, who's been in unbelievable form of late.

Excited to see how Hughes links up with Ince and Lingaard.

Will has played with Ince a lot in the under 21's so hopefully they'll have a good understanding, like the one you see Hughes and Bennett have.

There's no better player to find Darren Bent's movement and runs either. Thorne should be a good asset to pair with Bent's running too.

Very excited for this second half of the season!

Make no mistake it won't be easy today. Lennon will have them fired up and he will be out to nullify Hughes and Martin. I hope the new boys will get a run-out but expect McClaren to go with what he knows. 

We also have to bear in mind we have a crucial game on Tuesday so I expect all three subs to be used.

J. C Lynne Guard - has potential for the most incorrectly spelt player name in DCFC history.

I think this would be the seventh different version of his name that I have seen on here.

Johnny Rustle should be back soon.

Kelly Rouse deserves a game, why not give him half a game sometime?

Daring Bent will score today.

J. C Lynne Guard - has potential for the most incorrectly spelt player name in DCFC history.

I think this would be the seventh different version of his name that I have seen on here.

Johnny Rustle should be back soon.

Kelly Rouse deserves a game, why not give him half a game sometime?

Daring Bent will score today.

These all made me laugh. Nice one Rampage. I like Johnny Rustle. Even better, Johnny Hustle 

Archived