Dawkins

gordinio

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On his day, he's probably one of our best technical players. Just doesn't have his day very often, if at all.

That strikes me as exactly the same as people who say "I've seen Will Hughes play loads of times and he never 'does' anything".  Dawkins probably isn't going to score many wonder-strikes out of nowhere like Ince can, and he's probably not going to burst past 3 players and slot it like a Russell/Ward/Weimann type etc can.  But he (along with Martin and Hughes) was a massive part of why we completely controlled games the season before last.  You can play the ball into his feet and run off him, and you can guarantee he's going to control it, see your run and play it back to you.  Just like you can with Hughes.  It's no surprise to me that Forsyth and Bryson were nowhere near as effective last season, and that's in part because they were trying to make runs off someone like Russell or Lingaard rather than a technical player like Dawkins.  

We shouldn't be judging Dawkins by the number of assists or goals he gets, we should be judging him on the same criteria we should be judging Hughes on, which (IMO anyway) is something like the number of balls played into feet in the final third.  If Dawkins plays say half a dozen good balls into feet in the final third, he's had a good game, whether he scores or assists or not.

The fact that I intend to watch this match is probably guarantee enough that he'll be on the bench.

I'd really much rather he wasn't away with Jamaica at all given the timing. 

He's had pretty much zero opportunity to make an impression on Paul Clement and vice versa, right at a time when players are playing for their positions and looking to impress. This concerns me.

That strikes me as exactly the same as people who say "I've seen Will Hughes play loads of times and he never 'does' anything".  Dawkins probably isn't going to score many wonder-strikes out of nowhere like Ince can, and he's probably not going to burst past 3 players and slot it like a Russell/Ward/Weimann type etc can.  But he (along with Martin and Hughes) was a massive part of why we completely controlled games the season before last.  You can play the ball into his feet and run off him, and you can guarantee he's going to control it, see your run and play it back to you.  Just like you can with Hughes.  It's no surprise to me that Forsyth and Bryson were nowhere near as effective last season, and that's in part because they were trying to make runs off someone like Russell or Lingaard rather than a technical player like Dawkins.  

We shouldn't be judging Dawkins by the number of assists or goals he gets, we should be judging him on the same criteria we should be judging Hughes on, which (IMO anyway) is something like the number of balls played into feet in the final third.  If Dawkins plays say half a dozen good balls into feet in the final third, he's had a good game, whether he scores or assists or not.

Exactly, Iniesta doesn't score many goals or get many assists but you can see what a fantastic player he is, the same applies with Dawkins, no I'm not saying that Dawkins is as good as Iniesta.

mumblemumble

The fact that I intend to watch this match is probably guarantee enough that he'll be on the bench.

He's had pretty much zero opportunity to make an impression on Paul Clement and vice versa, right at a time when players are playing for their positions and looking to impress. This concerns me.

Completely agree with this - makes you laugh when players get criticised for turning down international football to focus on club football

Will be watching tonight too and agree(Well aside from don't care who wins part;)).Dawks has played well this tournament and hopefully when gets back to Derby,a place can be found for him;I like him as a player.

I like him as a man, if you catch my drift ;)

Dawkins has the ability to be a very good player in the championship. I am disappointed with his end product overall. He also completely unnecessarily runs right across the pitch to beat a man. Even turns into traffic and trouble. It all comes down to his balance for me still. Get him in the gym and work on it. It would literally take only a month. That left foot and leg of his might as well be prosthetic. He doesn't know how to balance his body on his right foot/leg or shift his weight onto them when dribbling, etc. 

Dawkins has the ability to be a very good player in the championship. I am disappointed with his end product overall. He also completely unnecessarily runs right across the pitch to beat a man. Even turns into traffic and trouble. It all comes down to his balance for me still. Get him in the gym and work on it. It would literally take only a month. That left foot and leg of his might as well be prosthetic. He doesn't know how to balance his body on his right foot/leg or shift his weight onto them when dribbling, etc. 

If he was played down the middle instead of on the wing then this wouldn't be a problem anyway.

Don't worry you pretty alcohol-addled head about it, coconut, and I won't either.

If he was played down the middle instead of on the wing then this wouldn't be a problem anyway.

It would be less of a problem but it would still be a problem. You watch closely the next time he is surrounded by players and the best route out is to use his left foot but he opts to turn into traffic with his right. Or the ball is perfectly setup in front of him for a left foot pass and he chooses an awkward unconventional right foot pass digging the ball out so to speak. 

It works though. He rarely loses the ball and has a high pass completion. As proven his passes are regularly forward too. 

He's much more comparable to Hughes than any winger or striker. Hughes is another player with 1 foot. But in terms of style he's better compared to Hughes than say Russell. Dawkins gets pushed over less as he seems to bounce of people and has glue on his boots. Hughes has a better passing range. Neither take a great deal of risk meaning they lack killer instinct which is why they're not playing in the Premiership. 

The hardest thing for Dawkins is he's compared to strikers or traditional British wingers/wide midfielders. 

When people say he does nothing I wonder what they would say Iniesta does for Barcelona. 

Got the same worries as Coconut though. I think he's missed a vital time at Derby. The planning, the first impressions... Obviously Clement won't have forgotten him but Clement is trying to develop something and he can't work with what he's not got. 

He's going to struggle to get a place in the side.

Well said. I always felt more comfortable seeing Dawkins in the starting team when we had tough away games where possession would be a key factor!

Every team needs the balance between strength, pace and technique.

I think it was Mark Lawrenson who said something along the lines of, 'great music is made by achieving the fine balance between piano shifters and piano tuners and the same goes with football'. He was referring to the unbeaten Arsenal team.

Archived