Dawkins

gordinio

Because a lot of the time it is sniping, people get so entrenched in their decision that xxxxxx is crap that they never see anything good.

We've had some seriously **** players in the last 10 years who didn't give a damn about the club, who deserved all the criticism they got, but this group of players are 100%.

Maybe.

I know once a lot of people make their mind up on a player their decision won't be swayed, but then again why should it.

On the other flip of the coin I don't very often see people who declare their love for certain players admitting when they have played sh1te

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I see Dawkins in the team, I worry about if we will win the game. Last night being another example of this.

I also don't want my winger to have a 91% pass rate - That shows he's not trying to cross a ball much or try creative through balls for others to score from. That's exactly what I want my wingers to do.

Fact is though - the points we generate when he is on the pitch are the least of any of the regular players in the Derby team. He doesn't score enough, doesn't create enough and therefore, just passing the ball back does what exactly?

If we are two nil up with ten to play, and we want to stifle the opposition - then great he can do that.

When I see Dawkins in the team, I worry about if we will win the game. Last night being another example of this.

I also don't want my winger to have a 91% pass rate - That shows he's not trying to cross a ball much or try creative through balls for others to score from. That's exactly what I want my wingers to do.

Fact is though - the points we generate when he is on the pitch are the least of any of the regular players in the Derby team. He doesn't score enough, doesn't create enough and therefore, just passing the ball back does what exactly?

If we are two nil up with ten to play, and we want to stifle the opposition - then great he can do that.

Why didn't you apply for the job then? You could instill your dated and ineffective tactics that were left behind by football 15 years ago!!

After the cup game against Fulham, I really hoped Dawkins would push on and claim the left wing spot. That game he showed a bit of everything: good ball control, dribbling and excellent finishing with a bit of skill as well.

Unfortunately, that has not been the case.

He seems very effective against poor opposition but in stark contrast, very poor against any team with a bit of quality in their side.

All of our wingers offer something a little bit different. That's part of why they get rotated often. None of them shirk their wider role in the team and none if them are any less than good champ wingers.

When I've seen Dawkins at times I've been frustrated because he has absolutely everything right but sometimes just lacks that quality in the final decision. However, that's being hyper critical. I think his all round play and style are great for our needs, I hope he gets a run in the side. He'll undoubtedly score and be involved in some match winning goals in the run in if given the chance.

Beautiful post.

No point having players on standby that are all clones of the 11. Obviously you want a couple of clones. But I think our strength comes from the fact we can replace like for like AND have different qualities

If you don't fancy watching the full 90 then watch the 14 minute extended highlights on RamsPlayer. Dawkins did everything that Ward did if not more.

It's just he didn't do it by running down the flank and crossing. His best cross came from inside the box and was met by a diving header at the near post. He was involved in the build up to a couple of shots.

Yet when he went off for Bennett the lads behind me said "about time". When Ward went off it was "you're my Jamie Waaaaaard"

Once our fans latch onto a player they look for any faults they can find.

Not that everyone should love Dawkins. Just that some fans need to be fair.

Why didn't you apply for the job then? You could instill your dated and ineffective tactics that were left behind by football 15 years ago!!

Mostyn I suggest you watch how we play more closely. The success we have with Russell mostly, Ibe (towards the end of his spell) and Ward earlier on in his season.

Out of curiosity, if you suggest crossing and and creative through balls are out of fashion, how do you suggest we play?

Please also defend the lowest return of points from any DCFC player whilst he has been on the field?

If you don't fancy watching the full 90 then watch the 14 minute extended highlights on RamsPlayer. Dawkins did everything that Ward did if not more.

It's just he didn't do it by running down the flank and crossing. His best cross came from inside the box and was met by a diving header at the near post. He was involved in the build up to a couple of shots.

Yet when he went off for Bennett the lads behind me said "about time". When Ward went off it was "you're my Jamie Waaaaaard"

Ok Alpha, to counter that, When Bent came on we were more direct, more aggressive and took more men forward. The crowd got into it more thus encouraging the players more. We scored our goals from Bent being on the pitch and the team played a lot better.

Ward was extremely poor last night as well to be fair though, and Forysth must overlap more if Dawkins is playing on the simple knowledge that he won't be taking Dawkins space because he never takes on players on the outside.

That's so annoying chant.

Mostyn I suggest you watch how we play more closely. The success we have with Russell mostly, Ibe (towards the end of his spell) and Ward earlier on in his season.

Out of curiosity, if you suggest crossing and and creative through balls are out of fashion, how do you suggest we play?

Please also defend the lowest return of points from any DCFC player whilst he has been on the field?

aside of the top teams, a massive percentage of goals are scored via Set plays. Hardly any goals come from open play wingers crossing. Through balls yes, when you have pacey players to latch on to them, but when we play them, we play them, but aside of that, Dawkins plays the way McClaren tells him to play and no different, but that was my point! Why are you going against McClaren's preferred tactical approach? Why do you think he plays a right footer on the left and a left footer on the right? It's not to get to the byline and pump crosses in that's for sure.

Ok Alpha, to counter that, When Bent came on we were more direct, more aggressive and took more men forward. The crowd got into it more thus encouraging the players more. We scored our goals from Bent being on the pitch and the team played a lot better.

Ward was extremely poor last night as well to be fair though, and Forysth must overlap more if Dawkins is playing on the simple knowledge that he won't be taking Dawkins space because he never takes on players on the outside.

The opening goal came from a throw tbf. I didn't think the pattern of the game changed before the goal. After the goal we had chances to counter so we were fast and direct. After the first I wondered if we might add a couple more as it opened up the game for both sides a bit.

Forsyth does use the space tbf. He put in a great cross that Steele (he's good isn't he?) made a good catch on. It happened v Chelsea too. Forsyth having 3/4 great crossing chances. The best chance to cross he had... He put it in the South Stand.

Dawkins just loves play close quarters football. It does produce opportunities. Very early on he found Hughes on the edge of the box in space. He was involved in that shot from Ward about 12-15 yards out. That was all intricate

Not that there's not a place for down the line races and whipped in crosses. Forsyth can do that when Dawkins plays.

Can't deny Russell does both though. He's got good variety. We missed him.

A lot of people here throwing the 'average football fan isn't clever enough to appreciate Dawkins' arguement around and that annoys me a bit. If he is as good as all you super fans believe why does McClaren rarely pick him when our 4 wingers have all been fit? Why do we win less points with him in the team? Could it just be that he isn't as great as you think he is?

There is a place for him in the squad but I am with McClaren on this and would rarely make him first choice.

Actually when Dawkins went off for Bent, it was about time! Not a slight on Dawks of course, but it was about time for the change!

Actually when Dawkins went off for Bent, it was about time! Not a slight on Dawks of course, but it was about time for the change!

We needed something. When the hendrick scramble fell straight in to the keepers hands I though here we go. This has got last minute Blackburn smash and grab written all over it...

Just done some analysis (please feel free to check this)

Assumption - When our 4 wingers have been fit they have always all been in the match day 18.

Caveat - Only included league games as I don't believe we have played our strongest XI in any cup game.

Caveat - Not including wide appearances from any other player (eg Calero or Best) or accounting for one of the 4 wingers to play anywhere other than out wide.

Russell - 18 starts / 8 sub appearances

Dawkins - 11 starts / 9 sub appearances (left on bench on one occasion)

Ward - 12 starts / 2 sub appearances (left on bench on one occasion)

Ibe - 13 starts / 7 sub appearances

This to me shows that given a choice McClaren was least likely to start with Dawkins (interestingly when fit Ward seems to be most likely to be picked).

Archived