Dawkins

gordinio

Dawkins brings a level of calmness to our attaint play, ward or Bennett just knock it forward hope and run,Dawkins takes time on the ball and is a great player for it if a little guilty for playing too slow at times

Yeah, I'm not even trying to argue that he's great. Just that he's not rubbish. He was better than Ward v Blackburn. Ward was better yesterday. But both have been like 6/10. But they're not treated the same.

I don't understand why run, stop, run a bit, stop , run and smash it at the near post is better than neat lay offs and quick one twos on the edge of the area?

When a Dawkins cross hits the first man everyone moans. Ward does it and it's applauded. When a Dawkins exchange beats two men it's not beating his man? It's neat interplay by the team?

Different players offering different things. Both have been equally effective.

And that bloody assist stat! Look at the assists of the most creative players. Look at the assist stat of Gareth Bale. Then look at the assist stat of a crap player that takes corners and free kicks etc for a good aerial team. Look at Michael Jacobs? Was it 3 assists in 1 game. Creative? All corners. Ben Davies, two were miscontrol and the shot taken off him.

Blackburn away. Dawkins sets up Bryson for a great chance, Bryson hits the shot so wide it would have been a throw but Ward smashes it in. Bryson assist. Leon Best has the same assists as Hughes. Very rare does Hughes feed the killer ball. But he does often find the pass that opens the opposition up.

Dawkins does need to wake up a bit. But as you said, he at least keeps the ball high up.

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, I'm not even trying to argue that he's great. Just that he's not rubbish. He was better than Ward v Blackburn. Ward was better yesterday. But both have been like 6/10. But they're not treated the same.

I don't understand why run, stop, run a bit, stop , run and smash it at the near post is better than neat lay offs and quick one twos on the edge of the area?

When a Dawkins cross hits the first man everyone moans. Ward does it and it's applauded. When a Dawkins exchange beats two men it's not beating his man? It's neat interplay by the team?

Different players offering different things. Both have been equally effective.

And that bloody assist stat! Look at the assists of the most creative players. Look at the assist stat of Gareth Bale. Then look at the assist stat of a crap player that takes corners and free kicks etc for a good aerial team. Look at Michael Jacobs? Was it 3 assists in 1 game. Creative? All corners. Ben Davies, two were miscontrol and the shot taken off him.

Blackburn away. Dawkins sets up Bryson for a great chance, Bryson hits the shot so wide it would have been a throw but Ward smashes it in. Bryson assist. Leon Best has the same assists as Hughes. Very rare does Hughes feed the killer ball. But he does often find the pass that opens the opposition up.

Dawkins does need to wake up a bit. But as you said, he at least keeps the ball high up.

I never get the Ward love, hes and effective winger but he isnt a good winger. Not premier league level by a country mile and barely top 6 level. He's a one trick pony, knock it and run then smash the ball as hard as possible and hope for the best. When Ibe was here he was our 4th best winger. Dawkins isnt the best either, he's techinally a better player but doesnt put it to use enough, you can see what he can do in certain matches, Fulham away, and then he dissapears. He had a good game yesterday, kept the ball well and worked the full back. Always feel like him and Hendrick play well together.

Dawkins brings a level of calmness to our attaint play, ward or Bennett just knock it forward hope and run,Dawkins takes time on the ball and is a great player for it if a little guilty for playing too slow at times

Thus creating chances and goals, compared to nothing.

• 5 months later...

Watching the Jamaica match, well going to sleep now, but watched the first half of the Jamaica match and he's playing behind the striker - Giles Barnes - in a 4-4-1-1 type formation. 

He hasn't been able to get in the game as the service has been none existent. Barnes is giving it a good go, he's not doing too bad but he's up against it. 

Costa Rica's passing is very good and their players have a lot of confidence on the ball. The two teams have a huge gulf in class - I don't get why Jamaica look that bad. I think their starting XI is okay, certainly better than what they're showing now. 

He'd have won the match for Jamaica had it not been for a first class save, unfortunate really. 

I think Jamaica need a new manager asap, though. He seems like a Mike Bassett type boss and there is quite a bit of talent in that squad. I just don't understand how it can be so mismanaged. 

Dawkins had a much better second half than first, and he was probably Jamaica's second best player overall. McLeary was first class, just lacks intelligence - well most of them do. 

Dawks pulled back on a number of occasions and should have been plated up a few chances, but only got the one towards the end. He looks sharp on the ball, as ever, comfortably wriggles out of situations and finds a teammate. 

A 4231 would definitely suit him more than 433. Love watching him play through the middle. 

He's easily one of my favourite players at the moment. Just a shame we don't get to see him all that often.

Was gonna get Dawkins on the back of the new shirt but got to be sure he's in Clements plans first  

I'd love to see him blossom this season, but I fear he's not had much of a break this summer. Wouldn't surprise me to see him used sparingly in the first few weeks of the season, but I wouldn't assume that would mean he's not in Clement's plans.

He was fantastic in the middle of the park against Blackpool at home. Granted the opposition was poor, but his ball retention was vital in the absence of Hughes. His game seems to be based on looking after the ball, whether it's by skipping passed people or simply turning into tight spaces when he's closed down. I think when he plays as a wide forward there's an expectation from the fans (and perhaps even himself) that he'll be skinning full-backs like Ibe, but that doesn't play to his strengths and his desire to keep hold of the ball can make him look a little lacking in directness. Put him in the middle and his style of play has much more value.

I'd love to see him blossom this season, but I fear he's not had much of a break this summer. Wouldn't surprise me to see him used sparingly in the first few weeks of the season, but I wouldn't assume that would mean he's not in Clement's plans.

He was fantastic in the middle of the park against Blackpool at home. Granted the opposition was poor, but his ball retention was vital in the absence of Hughes. His game seems to be based on looking after the ball, whether it's by skipping passed people or simply turning into tight spaces when he's closed down. I think when he plays as a wide forward there's an expectation from the fans (and perhaps even himself) that he'll be skinning full-backs like Ibe, but that doesn't play to his strengths and his desire to keep hold of the ball can make him look a little lacking in directness. Put him in the middle and his style of play has much more value.

Good analysis. His best moments (eg goal v Fulham)when hes been put out wide seem to be when he cuts in towards the middle so perhaps he sees that as his spiritual home....

• 2 weeks later...

Dawks had a good game vs. Haiti yesterday.Not sure how he will be viewed by Clement when he comes back,but has done well during this tournament.Barnes scored winner for Jamaica.

Jamaica plays US in semi-final,should be a good one.

I thought John Barnes chose England?

USA v Jamaica in Gold Cup Semi tonight. Will probably tune in, Dawkins has had a few good performances over this summer and hopefully he can have another tonight. Don't really care who wins, as long as he doesn't play terribly and doesn't get injured.

Would be nice for him to have some success in this tournament what with his nightmare of a year.

USA v Jamaica in Gold Cup Semi tonight. Will probably tune in, Dawkins has had a few good performances over this summer and hopefully he can have another tonight. Don't really care who wins, as long as he doesn't play terribly and doesn't get injured.

Would be nice for him to have some success in this tournament what with his nightmare of a year.

Will be watching tonight too and agree(Well aside from don't care who wins part;)).Dawks has played well this tournament and hopefully when gets back to Derby,a place can be found for him;I like him as a player.

Will be watching tonight too and agree(Well aside from don't care who wins part;)).Dawks has played well this tournament and hopefully when gets back to Derby,a place can be found for him;I like him as a player.

On his day, he's probably one of our best technical players. Just doesn't have his day very often, if at all.

Archived