Carlisle United v Derby County

Day

Hughes has been very impressive in that holding role so far. At the moment I think it would be unfair to drop any of the midfield for Mascarell. Christie was excellent again. Brilliant save by Grant when he tipped their free kick onto the bar.

I'm still a bit worried about Bryson. His form tailed off last year and he doesn't seem to have the zip or the instinct for a run. He doesn't look like scoring and I've noticed him jogging back when we defend. This is not a two game observation but one I've had for a while.

Maybe the transfer talk interrupted his pre-season. I'm a big fan of his and hope he gets his mojo back soon. I suspect Mascarell will be given some intensive training before he starts a game.

Agree with all you say about Hughes. It does seem a waste though to have him back there. Makes Thorne's injury all the more galling.

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Excellent performance and showed our class.

Frustrated over our set pieces - in this game and against Rotherham - we simply seemed to have nobody in the middle of the box and many a cross seemed to end up there?

Christie very good, same for Keogh.

Lee Grant - 8 - didn't have much to do, so I don't know how highly you can rate him, however, the save for the free kick was exceptional. Handling good, kicking not so much. 

Craig Forsyth - 8 - threatened constantly. Another typical performance from him, much better when given the licence to roam. 

Zak Whitbread - 7 - very solid, cleared his lines well. Good football when needed and good assist. 

Richard Keogh - 7 - same as above, without the assist. I think he really imposed himself tonight and wanted to make an impact. 

Malcolm Cyrus Christie - 9 - I thought he was exceptional, once again. He really is a top footballer, I'd not at all be surprised if he's up there with our best players this season. 

Will Hughes - 8 - He was everywhere tonight; much better in a deeper role than he is going forward, in my opinion. 

Jeff Hendrick - 7 - Nice goal, quiet game at times but constantly offering. 

Craig Bryson - 7 - A lot better tonight, a lot of good interconnecting play. It didn't seem to fall for him, but he'll come good soon enough. 

Simon Dawkins - 6 - Jaded first half where he just struggled to make a real impact, excellent second. I don't get the abuse towards him, he's a fantastic footballer who is still a little raw. Technically, though, he's exceptional. 

Jamie Ward - 5 - I thought he was a little wasteful and where Dawkins picked up for the second, he didn't. 

Chris Martin - 7 - Well taken goal. I thought he came for the ball a little too much, which meant he was too deep but his technical ability in the middle of the park is really important. Helped the team performance tonight, perhaps at the cost of his individual impact. 

Relative to time played:

Leon Best - 7 - Really unselfish performance, the desire was plain to see. Not the tidiest at times, but gave us an edge. 

Johnny Russell - 6 - Great cross for the goal, as for the rest of his cameo, it could have been better. He looks a little off the pace, truth be told. 

My dad was moaning about the papers giving Granty a 6 rating for Rotherham but honestly I agree with them and I'd say your rating is 2 too high amb. I can't give a keeper who, under no pressure, kicks the balls straight out of play 3 times in a match. I'm sorry under pressure I can understand it but three times he did this saturday and three times today. I could dink the ball over the defence to the fullback on the wing and it not go out... Goalkeeping is much more than just shot stopping nowadays. 

I also think although Christie was brilliant, the motm performance was by Hughes. He absolutely won everything he went in for, which was a lot. He's just a joy to watch, the way he tempted the opposition in before placing a ball perfectly infront of a team mate so much so that they don't even have to break stride to control it. 

Also thought Dawkins answered his critics tonight, he's an absolutely wonderful player. It's like the ball is glued to his feet. Granted his shooting needs some work but as for carrying the ball we don't have a better player imo. 

Frustrated over our set pieces - in this game and against Rotherham - we simply seemed to have nobody in the middle of the box and many a cross seemed to end up there?

Except for Whitbread...who flicked it on to Hendrick for our goal  :ph34r:

Things will have to improve a lot in front of goal if we are to be a serious promotion contender. But that view is based on just two games and I hope we get better but I've got this feeling...........

There's an Indian saying that if you see two eyes shining from the jungle, an optimist would say that it's a tiger. A pessimist would say its two one-eyed tigers. At the moment I see two one-eyed tigers. Oh well back to my Weetabix

This.

How often I've heard we need someone better to take our set pieces? Nothing wrong with them, just no one is having ability/willingness to be in the end of those. Michael Keane looked like he would score every single corner we had!

Whitbread won one and Henrick finished it. Promising but not sure can Bucko do the same. Keogh won't as we've seen.

I'm still a bit worried about Bryson. His form tailed off last year and he doesn't seem to have the zip or the instinct for a run. He doesn't look like scoring and I've noticed him jogging back when we defend. This is not a two game observation but one I've had for a while.

Maybe the transfer talk interrupted his pre-season. I'm a big fan of his and hope he gets his mojo back soon. I suspect Mascarell will be given some intensive training before he starts a game.

Agree with all you say about Hughes. It does seem a waste though to have him back there. Makes Thorne's injury all the more galling.

Agree about Bryson although i suppose the best medicine for that is game time. The sharpness will come.

For me, It looked like we never really needed to get out of 2nd gear. Looked like a practice match for long periods and i always though that if needed we could of turned it up a notch or two.

Good, patient, quality performance by the lads.

Christie was brilliant

I not sure about ward, really frustrates me, can't quite put my finger on it why, but i think i'd prefer Russell to be given a good run.

Thought Whitbread had a good game too, not the best opposition granted but looked good for saying he's not played much.

I'm going to buck some of the trend on here. We controlled the game pretty much from start to finish. A good all round performance with great passing & possession. Dawkins was excellent in providing to outlet and full of energy. The fullbacks were superb particularly Christie. We were a little lack lustre in front of goal (Mac said we made hard work of it) but in time that will click into place. I saw no negatives whatsoever bar being goal shy.

Excellent away display against lower league opposition. Roll on Saturday hopefully with Dawkins in the side.

Absolutely. Incidentally I'm really baffled by the huge number of Dawkins-knockers that have expressed their opinion in a far-from-complimentary manner. I watched the game last night, then re-watched the second half, and I just couldn't work out how I was wrong and everyone else was right.

Geezer in my local nearly made choke on my pint. A few minutes after we take the lead, Hendrick incurs his displeasure for something, and he came out with possibly the most inane comment I've ever heard about football - "I'd sack that lad, he's bloody useless". Made me chuckle, then wonder if Hitler had appoint about eugenics.

Was he posting in the DCFCFans match chatroom at the same time? There were some classic foot-in-mouth disease sufferers on there last night. 

Maybe the transfer talk interrupted his pre-season. I'm a big fan of his and hope he gets his mojo back soon. 

It always seems to take Bryson half a dozen games or so to get going after an injury.  He was better last night than on Saturday and I fully expect him to be better again next time out.  Plus it doesn't suit him playing against packed defences, there's less room for him to make runs and when he does, it's more difficult for players to pick him out.

He seems to be going wide a lot more... I think it's a tactical thing. Hendrick is finding himself in much more of the positions Bryson was last year, with Bryson finding himself in more Hughes like positions.

He seems to be going wide a lot more... I think it's a tactical thing. Hendrick is finding himself in much more of the positions Bryson was last year, with Bryson finding himself in more Hughes like positions.

Maybe I am looking for things, especially as so far I have been constrained to limited highlights packages, but with Bryson at the moment he just does not seem to be at the races, even in respect of goal celebrations. He doesn't seem to be racing to be part of the "high five" club which is unlike him.

I am also a bit concerned that we have too many on this forum who have forgotten where we were only 15 months ago. I think (again on limited highlights) we have looked a very professionally drilled unit, against teams desperate to do well against us. We have played the ball around well, had good possession stats, and created a number of chances. We are only two games into the season, and we will get sharper in front of goal. But still 2 good wins, and no goals conceded. Match day expectations are too high at the moment. Wins and improving fitness/inter-play and avoiding injury are much more important at this stage of the season than hoping we start playing "samba" football.

As for Dawkins, I am clearly in the minority, but if that lad can stay fit and get a run of games I think he will prove himself this year to be a brilliant asset. Do not underestimate his quality, and what he also provides on the left is real certainty for Forsyth to bomb forward knowing that he doesn't lose the ball easily.

IIson Derby - However we got very lucky with that goal.

To be fair - it was a shocking corner from Jamie Ward and we got lucky. Bryon's corners have been pretty good so far in both games but no-one attacking the centre of the box? Where is Martin, Forsyth, Bucko, Keogh?

It frustrates me set pieces haven't been taken away from Ward yet.

I thought Ward had a good game and threatened. Dawks had a terrible first half and a better second half. I hope he realizes that potential that everyone is talking about because it would be win-win situation.

Hughes is good, but wasted there, I think much better forward as he has the passing range to pick out Bryson's runs.

Christie good player.

Best was really good, but tried too hard.

Hendrick and Bryson okay.

Like other posters have stated, the team is still in second gear. 

Its earlydays to start making judgements,however as everyone else is doing it,here goes.

Hughes is already showing what a class act he is,playing a holding role like he was born

to it.The problem is we can't have it both ways and it seems to me that we are missing

his skills going forward.In particular his one-touch passing and the way he can pick out

a brilliant pass to create a chance.

Bryson is not doing that or Dawson,but we need that skill in forward areas,it's whats

missing at the moment.Either someone else has to do it and move Hughes forward

or we need to try another creative player who will get forward.

Archived