Carlisle United v Derby County

Day

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lee Grant - 8 - didn't have much to do, so I don't know how highly you can rate him, however, the save for the free kick was exceptional. Handling good, kicking not so much. 

Craig Forsyth - 8 - threatened constantly. Another typical performance from him, much better when given the licence to roam. 

Zak Whitbread - 7 - very solid, cleared his lines well. Good football when needed and good assist. 

Richard Keogh - 7 - same as above, without the assist. I think he really imposed himself tonight and wanted to make an impact. 

Malcolm Cyrus Christie - 9 - I thought he was exceptional, once again. He really is a top footballer, I'd not at all be surprised if he's up there with our best players this season. 

Will Hughes - 8 - He was everywhere tonight; much better in a deeper role than he is going forward, in my opinion. 

Jeff Hendrick - 7 - Nice goal, quiet game at times but constantly offering. 

Craig Bryson - 7 - A lot better tonight, a lot of good interconnecting play. It didn't seem to fall for him, but he'll come good soon enough. 

Simon Dawkins - 6 - Jaded first half where he just struggled to make a real impact, excellent second. I don't get the abuse towards him, he's a fantastic footballer who is still a little raw. Technically, though, he's exceptional. 

Jamie Ward - 5 - I thought he was a little wasteful and where Dawkins picked up for the second, he didn't. 

Chris Martin - 7 - Well taken goal. I thought he came for the ball a little too much, which meant he was too deep but his technical ability in the middle of the park is really important. Helped the team performance tonight, perhaps at the cost of his individual impact. 

Relative to time played:

Leon Best - 7 - Really unselfish performance, the desire was plain to see. Not the tidiest at times, but gave us an edge. 

Johnny Russell - 6 - Great cross for the goal, as for the rest of his cameo, it could have been better. He looks a little off the pace, truth be told. 

Comfortable win but was good to see the lads work hard anyway.

I didn't think much to Dawkins 1st half but thought he did really well 2nd half and was disappointed he was subbed. Bryson did much better 2nd half as well.

Christie looked good again and grant is showing that we can rely on him.

Good performance again.

Men against boys, never in doubt and I don't think we got into top gear. Can't read too much into it for that reason but we looked much sharper than Saturday. Christie looks a proper player, rest of the team did what we know they can. Still more to come from wide areas.

I'm going to buck some of the trend on here. We controlled the game pretty much from start to finish. A good all round performance with great passing & possession. Dawkins was excellent in providing to outlet and full of energy. The fullbacks were superb particularly Christie. We were a little lack lustre in front of goal (Mac said we made hard work of it) but in time that will click into place. I saw no negatives whatsoever bar being goal shy.

Excellent away display against lower league opposition. Roll on Saturday hopefully with Dawkins in the side.

Christie has put more decent balls into the box than Gareth Roberts did in his entire Derby career. Two great performances so far. Keep it up lad.

Thats because Roberts was shiit.

Hadnt thought about it much till Steve came on after the game and explained how to break down their formation. So actually we can still function well as a team even if the wingers cut in as long as our full backs are overlapping in tandem.

Will Hughes - 8 - He was everywhere tonight; much better in a deeper role than he is going forward, in my opinion. 

He's a great player who is getting stronger physically and therefore is better able to make a fist of it.

Still better higher up the pitch though, but this experience is going to do him the world of good.

Don't understand the dissing of Roberts. Okay, not up to top Championship standard but he was a first class professional footballer who never gave us less than 100%.

I'm sure some who criticise the likes of Roberts and Salmon are not exactly top of the tree in their workplace but heaven forbid if anyone says they're rubbish in what they do!

Why does praise for Christie have to lead to slagging off of formal players and managers? Especially when they both did a decent job for us in difficult times.

Christie is good.

I'm not slagging off clough.

He did brilliantly well with brayford and forsyth.

But he did have a tendency to overrate roberts.

I could never understand why anyone rated roberts.

For me he was dire.

But thats for another day.

Tonight we should enjoy a good win.

Geezer in my local nearly made choke on my pint. A few minutes after we take the lead, Hendrick incurs his displeasure for something, and he came out with possibly the most inane comment I've ever heard about football - "I'd sack that lad, he's bloody useless". Made me chuckle, then wonder if Hitler had appoint about eugenics.

Archived