Stupid Things You've Overheard at a Game

Srg

What's the stupidest thing you've overheard anyone say at a game?

Mine has to be the group of people who sat behind me for the past few season (before we've now moved into the South Stand)...

Every single week they would debate the Rams Lotto. Wondering why on earth we could afford to give out several millions to a random Derby fan who wins, and why has no one ever been outed as a winner or why can we not spend it on a player.

Clearly not understanding that it's a countrywide lotto, branded differently for each team.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm just waiting for the old guy who had a ST a row in front of us two seasons back to pop up with some horror stories of me and my brothers talking *****. He hated us with a passion and we never really figured out why. Couldn't open my mouth with an opinion without hearing "Don't talk ******" or "piss off". 

I bet he was delighted when we moved into the South Stand, although I was desperately hoping he moved too and ended up in front of us again just because he used to get so wound up with us. Turned up first game of last season and was only disappointed that he wasn't.

We honestly did not do anything for him to get so frustrated at us, he just hated us for no reason  :lol:

I remember at Wembley (2007) I was furious we was playing Peschisolido - or Peschishitlido as I used to call him...

Some guy took offence to my constant moaning about how bad the mulleted gnome actually was. He had it out with me.

Obviously, he got subbed for Giles Barnes. Barnes sets up the winner and the guy turns around to apologise to me (the messiah) - and the rest is history.

I liked Peschisolido...  :(

The bloke who used to sit in front of me used to come out with some crackers. The season following our relegation, towards the end of that season too, he turned around and said ''who'd you get rid of?'' I took a second and started listing the obvious ones (at the time) and he went 'I'd get rid of all on 'em'' so, I said ''even Commons'' he replied ''yeah.'' I said ''even Hulse'' he replied ''yeah.'' Outstanding stuff. 

In the end, it turns out he was right but at the time it was completely bonkers. There was another lad, sorry if you're on here, that kind of looks like a frog that always used to hammer Hulse for being lazy. And when I say always, I mean ALWAYS. He's started doing it for Martin now, it's strange. 

Anyway, the best one I can remember is some bloke in starbucks screaming blue murder that Paul Green was the 20-goal striker we'd been missing for years. I was stunned anyone could think like that. 

I'm just waiting for the old guy who had a ST a row in front of us two seasons back to pop up with some horror stories of me and my brothers talking *****. He hated us with a passion and we never really figured out why. Couldn't open my mouth with an opinion without hearing "Don't talk ******" or "piss off". 

I bet he was delighted when we moved into the South Stand, although I was desperately hoping he moved too and ended up in front of us again just because he used to get so wound up with us. Turned up first game of last season and was only disappointed that he wasn't.

We honestly did not do anything for him to get so frustrated at us, he just hated us for no reason  :lol:

Did you have floppy hair and tight legged jeans with the arse halfway down? Old men automatically hate people like that before you've uttered a word.

I used to have an utter cretin sat a few rows behind me - I've had stand up rows with him on several occasions, he's that clueless (an vocal with it too).  Particular highlights have included:

Screaming at the referee to send off Stephen Pearson (while he was playing for us) - giving it the whole 'send him off ref, he's garbage, we're better off without him, get him off! Red! Red! Red!'

Hurling abuse at the team for not playing well enough and not working hard enough. While we were winning 5-1. (against Palace, IIRC).

Telling Miles Addison off for kicking the ball out of play while being the last defender, with two attackers closing him down - I asked him what he expected him to do with it, and it appears he wanted him to turn, dribble past the two defenders and pass the ball.

And my particular favourite, Gary Teale sets off dribbling down the right wing, Paul Connolly is supporting him (running as fast as he can). The guy stands up and starts screaming "Paul Connolly!  Will you f***ing overlap! Are you trying to lose this game on purpose? Get past your winger!" A which point Teale turns back, lays off a pass to Connolly who whips in a perfect cross for Hulse to head home. Everybody stands up celebrating, except the guy behind me who sits down, folds his arms and looks furious.

Funniest thing I've ever overheard at a game wasn't even at a Derby game.

At the the 2011 A-league (Australian League) Grand Final a father in front of me suddenly declared at the 111th minute "It's over, they've won" and started matching out (Brisbane, his team, were losing 2-0 at the time), his son, no more than about 9 or 10, asked in the most pitiful voice I've ever heard "but, but what if Brisbane come back and win it", he just kept walking stating simply "they won't son, I'm sorry".

Of course Brisbane scored in the 117th and 120th minute and went on to win on penalties. Needless to say I'm sure that the father has a lot of capital with his son in terms of accuracy of predictions.

Did you have floppy hair and tight legged jeans with the arse halfway down? Old men automatically hate people like that before you've uttered a word.

Floppy hair yes, tight jeans no. My jeans were secured with a belt around my waist. Can't understand people who wear them halfway down their arse.

Bit rude though, regardless.

Not me, but a Leeds fan who's a mate of mine, took his kids to the Burton game a week ago and the bloke behind him was apparently moaning about how terrible all our players are all game long.

His 'best' moment was saying "That Bryson lad, never rated him. Should have bit Burnleys hands off when they offered

He'd probably read your posts on here. "http://www.thebort.com/www/Smileys/default/whistle" alt="whistle">

Peterborough away a couple of years ago. Had Robinson up front for some of the game. Misses a chance and some bloke starts shouting "You're f***ing **** Robinson" when he was pretty close to the away end when it was quiet. Dunno why but that sticks in my head as one of the poorer displays I've seen from a fan.

Archived