Play-off SF Leg 1: Brighton & Hove Albion v Derby County

CumbrianRam

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We won but were quite awful. 

I agree. Lets face it, we were damn lucky. A terrible performance specially in the first half. How we went in 2-1 ahead at ht  I will never know. Still, at the end of the day, we won which is what counts.

I thought the back four did pretty well. Forsyth looked nervous but the central pairing did well, even if Keogh is made of paper.

Thorne did the simple stuff well. Bryson and Hendrick struggled a bit. Martin did nothing except find the net as usual, Ward tried hard but was frustrating and I thought Russell played really well. But Grant was rightly MOTM. Really professional.

Oh, and what was Connor doing tonight? He runs round like a spaniel that's just been let out of an estate car.

Harsh to say we were poor...

We were up against the divisions top passing side away from home. We were never going to play them off the park and we were just happy to contain them and counter.

Similar to Bayern vs Real Madrid

Yet a million miles away from that standard.

I was happy with us in general, and it appeared much harder in the second half as Brighton naturally squeezed up. I noticed on many times any pass which went forward the receiving player immediately had a Brighton defender/midfielder on their back.

I thought Brighton were pretty good at the possession play but badly let down by their lack of pace in movement and passing and the amount of times they swung over hopeful balls with just one or two targets to aim for.

The withdrawal of Ward and Russell ended us as an attacking force but lets be realistic, it's half-time and we're winning heading into our stadium where we've been awesome under McLaren with a fully fit squad.

I'd say were about 1/5 to progress now.

I agree. Lets face it, we were damn lucky. A terrible performance specially in the first half. How we went in 2-1 ahead at ht  I will never know. Still, at the end of the day, we won which is what counts.

A terrible performance? What game were you watching buddy?

It was a great performance for what we tried to achieve. We did everything that was built on our style, other than conceding a rather unfortunate goal.

We wanted to sit back and counter.

In the first half we ripped them to shreds going forward and if it wasn't for two or three cynical fouls, final ball being poor or a saving tackle we would have scored more.

I'm not really sure what you were expecting? We weren't playing against Doncaster, Barnsley or Blackpool where we'd naturally look to contain the game.

Brighton would have dominated possession against anyone in the Championship at their own ground. And we allowed them to, so that we could counter.

At 2-1 we sat back too much granted, but I could fully understand why... It worked. Great gameplan, executed well = good performance.

It's not like we were sh!te all game and scored a flukey last minute goal Billy Davies style.

Result matters, performance is a bonus.

Brilliant win and I think Brighton played on the adrenaline from their late win at Forest. I doubt they'll be as good as they were tonight. 

Character is what tonight was. We changed defensively about fifteen minutes in to have the wingers defend more and push the full backs in. Consequently, we had to counter attack which we could do with a Ward and Russell but not Sammon or Dawkins.

Very happy though, grant superb and feel we will score at home so Brighton need at least two.....

Archived