Play-off SF Leg 1: Brighton & Hove Albion v Derby County

CumbrianRam

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Difference between being poor and being poor by our standards really, we had a game plan and executed it well but there was more there for the taking especially in the second half.

Shows how good we are when we play below what we can and the opponents still think we played well really.

SillyBilly

Good result. Tonight was Brighton's chance to show their hand and we've won 1-2 without really needing to do anything in the final third.

My hands are normally wringing with sweat in the last 20 minutes or so but Brighton were poor upfront IMO, one great save from Grant aside I wasn't worried. Can see why they're 18th on goals scored, the Champ's top scorers only need 1 shot on target to score more than them :p .

Luck is on our side, the second goal is evidence of this

I wouldn't have had much complaint if the ref had given them 2 penalties either.

Not that it matters, a victory is a victory and our '1 shot on target' doesn't say anything about how many good positions we found ourselves in.

A number of quotes from their forum suggests we weren't that bad..

Derby were not poor came with a game plan and when they broke with pace (didn't know you were allowed to do that) they looked threatening plusthey put us off our passing game with just the right amount of rough house tactics.

Fantastic counter attacking team...! We were poor

Derby were clearly much better than us all over the pitch. We started brilliantly but took our foot off the pedal as soon as the clock hit 20 minutes.

If we can play like we did for the first 20 mins all game at Derby on Sunday then I'll have optimism. March needs to start

Fair play to them if that was their plan it was well executed. No sour grapes here, I have not seen a lot of Derby this season I just expected them to control more of the game

Derby weren't poor but they certainly weren't brilliant. They ended the first half really well and I fully expected them to come out in the second half and put the game to bed but they didn't. Instead they just sat back and let us attack and luckily for them we didn't find a way through. If they had played like that against a more clinical team they would have lost.

County came to attack, and once we began to take the game to them they closed the shutters. A draw would have been a fair result, but a defeat is no injustice. They are too strong for us.

I wish we were as poor as them!!

they were very quick on the break and defended well....dont think they were poor.....we just couldnt break them down.....

I was inline with the penalty, thought it was a dive, looked like the derby player played the defender, we had 2 better penalty calls not given, poor ref with no bottle. Derby I have to admit move the ball faster and more clinical passers. Jake Forster-Caskey was total *****, don't know how he starts instead of March.

they are so much more tempo on the ball and break fast,i really enjoyed the game tbh,with the chances we had we could of won,but all to play for

Derby weren't poor , they did counter attack really well first half , got the lead , then consolidated in the second . I felt you started well but you seem to lose momentum quite easily when put under pressure . In the second half you had a lot of the ball but lacked urgency in getting forward with ulloa isolated with no support . I feel if derby countered more they could have finished the tie tonight . 

You are not out of it , score first up there and it's game on . But derby look a good side to me and look too strong for you . Honest view not a piss take .

They were hardly poor, they looked very dangerous on the counter, but in the end we gifted them a goal (what was Upson doing?) and they got a fairly lucky break with their second. 1 shot on target all game.

Derby are better than us, but we are not out of it. Next goal absolutely pivotal.

They looked much more dangerous going forward than us, even managed to score twice with only one shot on target.

They were outstanding on the counter attack in the first half and sat back in the second. Dispels all those myths about 'possession football'.

Good performances from Grant and Russell. Great result without playing as well as we can, vital that we've got a win without hitting top gear. It's unlikely that any team puts in three supurb performances over the play offs so hopefully we have two to come.

Great result in a very tough game...

Last seasons Derby side would have crumbled but we are head and shoulders improved now and it just shows how far we have come when we can play like we did tonight and still come out on top..

Too many key players not really at it tonight but we have a togetherness that seems to overcome individuals performances and the team ethic is what really puts steam into our engine so to speak..

Look forward to Brighton at the Ipro on Sunday and seeing Derby play how they usually do and put the tie to bed..

Up The Rams.....

1-1 frgs; Bryson, att; sell out for the Rams visit, pissisting it down ;) COYR

Well, here goes.

The boys 1, the men 2

That's 1-2 to derby btw

First boy to score for the rams Martin.

x

they think it's all over!?

It is now!

Very solid away win. I reckon they had about 5 chances saved by Granty, and for all their possession we must have had about the same amount of close things even if we didn't work their keeper as much. We had the break and they didn't. Nowhere near over as a tie though. We'll need to be bang on it on Sunday.

I said before the game that I thought they'd struggle to hurt us and I stand by that at home, first goal at PPS could be the vital one.

Archived