Play-off SF Leg 1: Brighton & Hove Albion v Derby County

CumbrianRam

Name me a time we've defended deep under Mac and thrown it away? Birmingham? That's all I can think of... It's not luck, it's not "a better team would tear us apart", because they haven't.. Brighton are the 6th best team in the division. Now look back at last season, how many leads did we throw away? Exactly

Answering your own question eh?

I'll stick with what I believe. We got a good result last night but I maintain that our tactics were not spot on. We defended too deep and didn't even try to get forward in the second half.

They came the closest to scoring and that lead would have been thrown away if not for a great save from Grant and had they had a little more going forward.

I'm not having a go by any stretch and I'm very happy about the result. I just think that we may have missed a trick by not pushing for a third.

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Answering your own question eh?

I'll stick with what I believe. We got a good result last night but I maintain that our tactics were not spot on. We defended too deep and didn't even try to get forward in the second half.

They came the closest to scoring and that lead would have been thrown away if not for a great save from Grant and had they had a little more going forward.

I'm not having a go by any stretch and I'm very happy about the result. I just think that we may have missed a trick by not pushing for a third.

if we get to Wembley then the tactics were spot on.

Name me a time we've defended deep under Mac and thrown it away? Birmingham? That's all I can think of... It's not luck, it's not "a better team would tear us apart", because they haven't.. Brighton are the 6th best team in the division. Now look back at last season, how many leads did we throw away? Exactly

Part of the problem against Birmingham was that we were still going gung ho for more goals. Still can't believe they got back to 3-3, hey were so poor.

We didnt play well I dont know how anyone can say that but we battled away and the few times we went forward our quality shone through and we looked like opening them up. Thats the worst ive seen the midfield play for a while but the back 4 did a good job. Steve Mc is good but im pretty sure he didnt say to them sit back and keep giving the ball away and we will hit them on the brake

Yes, but he was poor under Nige. He's a different keeper under Eric's coaching

Totally agree,much better coaching nowadays

Totally agree,much better coaching nowadays

Come on lets get over it now, clough has gone. We know Steve Mc is streets ahead as a coach thats why he has been at Man U, England, Won a league cup, a title in holland and managed in the top flight in England, Holland and Germany.

Come on lets get over it now, clough has gone. We know Steve Mc is streets ahead as a coach thats why he has been at Man U, England, Won a league cup, a title in holland and managed in the top flight in England, Holland and Germany.

who mentioned Clough? Just think he's been handled better. I've gone over the Clough debate over and over. What's done is done!

http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?301093-How-many-penalties-would-you-have-given-last-night

Am I the only one who's not seeing any of these so-called "penalties"?

The one with Forsyth on Calderon was the closest thing I saw and, even then, I'm seeing Calderon unnaturally move his right leg towards Forsyth, essentially looking for the contact. When you also take into account the theatrical fall and triple roll on the ground, I'm not surprised the ref didn't give it.

The one with Ulloa and Bucko, you just can't give. There's so much holding and shirt pulling at every corner, you'd be giving penalties every 2 minutes. If it were to be clamped down on, you may as well just bypass the awarding of a corner and give a penalty instead. Besides, Ulloa was a mouthy little pr*ck anyway. I'm glad he got nothing all night.

There was apparently a third claim as well but I have no idea what they're talking about with that one.

http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?301093-How-many-penalties-would-you-have-given-last-night

Am I the only one who's not seeing any of these so-called "penalties"?

The one with Forsyth on Calderon was the closest thing I saw and, even then, I'm seeing Calderon unnaturally move his right leg towards Forsyth, essentially looking for the contact. When you also take into account the theatrical fall and triple roll on the ground, I'm not surprised the ref didn't give it.

The one with Ulloa and Bucko, you just can't give. There's so much holding and shirt pulling at every corner, you'd be giving penalties every 2 minutes. If it were to be clamped down on, you may as well just bypass the awarding of a corner and give a penalty instead. Besides, Ulloa was a mouthy little pr*ck anyway. I'm glad he got nothing all night.

There was apparently a third claim as well but I have no idea what they're talking about with that one.

My feelings exactly - Forsyth hasn't looked to make a foul, it was just a tangle with the legs. I'm not surprised neither were given in all honesty.

The Ulloa one isn't even debatable. Ulloa was bullying Keogh at corners in the first-half with rough-handed tactics, as soon as Buxton matched him - he didn't like it.

It's not the first time it's happened either.

"http://www.dcfc.co.uk/cms_images/player/buxton-4x3129-1269661_478x359" alt="buxton-4x3129-1269661_478x359">

Split this season into Clough v McClaren defence please. You can put the Ipswich first half as Clough and the second half as McClaren if you want to be totally accurate

That's a really poor comparison taking into account sample size and the fact that Clough only had 9 games in which we played 2 matches against the top 2 almost a quarter, compared with Macs 2 out if 36 games.

Much fairer to compare similar sample sizes.

Clough 12-13 conceded 1.34 per game scored 1.39 per game

Maclaen 13-14 - ( the 36 full league games) scored 1.94 per game and conceded 1.05 per game.

Yes the goals conceded is 0.29 better per game or 13 goals over 46 games. But the goals scored is 0.55 - 25 goals better over 46 games.

Goals scored has improved by more than goals conceded has.

We wouldn't have finished 3rd and get to watch the most attacking football if Nigel was still here.

Why are we talking about Sheffield United's manager when we're 90mins from Wembley?!?!?!

Think JW is spot on. The occasion certainly affected us in the early stage. Lots of nervousness from all over the pitch. Thorne and Hendrick visibly froze a couple of times waiting for someone else to step in.

Could be our weakness if we make Wembley. Never really played a game under this pressure have they? Hope they have settled a bit now.

What?!

You seriously defend a lead by sitting incredibly deep and inviting the opposition onto you?

No, thanks.

They didn't score because they weren't good enough. Invite a decent side onto us like we did against Brighton and they would take us to the cleaners.

Nice dig at Clough. He really deserved that :wacko:

How many goals did Bayern Munich score past Real Madrid again?

We finished third pretty comfortably, they sneaked into 6th, we deserve some "luck".

Mind you don't think luck was much of  a factor last night, we were just a superior team, yes Grant made some good saves but with the possession they didn't create that much.

The more I think about it, the less of a sh* I give whether we were lucky, played badly or relied too heavily on Grant.

Agreed. Those who think otherwise have their own agenda/axe to grind.

Archived