Play-off SF Leg 1: Brighton & Hove Albion v Derby County

CumbrianRam

Grant - 10 - flawless, couldn't do anything about the goal. Controlled his area, caught everything...

Wisdom - 8 - Very good. Lua Lua, who looks a decent player, didn't get a sniff.

Keogh - 7 - Commaning in the air, but someone's ***** around with it too much and needs to calm it down, especially when we lead

Buxton - 7 - Did a job on Ulloa. Showed him well a proper

Forsyth - 7 - Did very well for the Peno and got forward well, but got torn apart first 20 and could be at fault for the original cross for their goal for ball watching?

Thorne - 7 - Steady. Was poor until our goal though. Sat off too much and seemed to be out of position. Our midfield was overrun until the penalty tbh

Bryson - 6 - Off day for him, seemed to misplace every other pass, let's hope he's back to his best on Sat

Hendrick - 8 - Very good for me. Deadily on the counter and with the ball at his feet

Wardy - 8 - I thought Ward was brilliant. Back to his best with his direct running and beating his man. Won us countless FKs on the counter with his pace and did well in the move that won the peno

Martin - 8 - Held the ball up well, despite kicked all over the park by Upson (cheers for the pen, btw). Superb peno, you don't save those.

Russell - 8 - Same as Ward really. Our best asset yesterday was counter attacking with pace. Both of those boys provide it. Again did very well to start the attack for the penalty, going passed a few bodies, although first 20 I felt he left Wisdom a bit exposed and didn't really do his defences duties, and sometimes hesitated to close his man down.

Subs:

Dawkins - 7 - I thought he was really good. It seems like his has glue on his boots, the ball just sticks. Did some brilliant pieces of skill to create attacks and slowed down moves forward to try and slow the tempo of the game down. Like Russell in the first half, he was sometimes out of position and left Wisdom exposed.

Sammon - 4 - Wasted one good opportunity in the first half but he's not a wide player in anyway, shape or form. Proven last night. He just can't defend, it's as simple as that. Let in far too many crosses when covering Forsyth and gave the ball away far too often for my liking. He also gave anyway some needless free kicks in dangerous areas. Would of preferred to us to have gone 442/Bamford to come on.

Coaching Staff - 9 - We did a job on them. Good and proper. That's how you defend a lead Mr Clough :)

Stadium - 10 - My second visits to the AMEX and it really is on another level. The two long stands parellel to each other are something else. Massive. Certainly my favourite ground in this league.

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A lot of our players would have been very nervous last night, only Ward has play off experience, most of them have never been this close to the premiership before. I think we should stop being so harsh.

That's a good point, it was an excellent atmosphere as you'd expect, Brighton came flying at us, which again you'd expect, but I thought we looked really nervous, Thorne, Bryson and Forsyth particularly, all of whom were off the pace to start with. I was a few rows from the front and you could see the players' expressions on their faces, they were tense all right. Then Brighton scored, we woke up and never looked back.

Although the second half was played in our half, we looked like we were happy just to sit off, make them try and play through us and hit them on the counter, although we didn't do that because a) the quality of our ball retention/final ball wasn't great and b) Brighton pressed us really hard all over the pitch

You could say Brighton dominated us, or you could say our manager had faith in the players to deliver a classic away performance. I know which one I'll go for!

Overall, I think we did ok, when clearly we weren't at our best. Can we play better? For sure. Can Brighton? I very much doubt it.

I think McC knew what Brighton would do and set the stall out accordingly and by not playing Hughes it caught Brighton out.  They had to win last night and went all out to get it, however they where pedestrian in attack and failed in their plan.

Sammon - 4 - Wasted one good opportunity in the first half but he's not a wide player in anyway, shape or form. Proven last night. He just can't defend, it's as simple as that. Let in far too many crosses when covering Forsyth and gave the ball away far too often for my liking. He also gave anyway some needless free kicks in dangerous areas. Would of preferred to us to have gone 442/Bamford to come on.

Sammon wasted good opportunity first half? :p  He came on about 70 minutes played...

Grant - 10 - flawless, couldn't do anything about the goal. Controlled his area, caught everything...

Wisdom - 8 - Very good. Lua Lua, who looks a decent player, didn't get a sniff.

Keogh - 7 - Commaning in the air, but someone's ***** around with it too much and needs to calm it down, especially when we lead

Buxton - 7 - Did a job on Ulloa. Showed him well a proper

Forsyth - 7 - Did very well for the Peno and got forward well, but got torn apart first 20 and could be at fault for the original cross for their goal for ball watching?

Thorne - 7 - Steady. Was poor until our goal though. Sat off too much and seemed to be out of position. Our midfield was overrun until the penalty tbh

Bryson - 6 - Off day for him, seemed to misplace every other pass, let's hope he's back to his best on Sat

Hendrick - 8 - Very good for me. Deadily on the counter and with the ball at his feet

Wardy - 8 - I thought Ward was brilliant. Back to his best with his direct running and beating his man. Won us countless FKs on the counter with his pace and did well in the move that won the peno

Martin - 8 - Held the ball up well, despite kicked all over the park by Upson (cheers for the pen, btw). Superb peno, you don't save those.

Russell - 8 - Same as Ward really. Our best asset yesterday was counter attacking with pace. Both of those boys provide it. Again did very well to start the attack for the penalty, going passed a few bodies, although first 20 I felt he left Wisdom a bit exposed and didn't really do his defences duties, and sometimes hesitated to close his man down.

Subs:

Dawkins - 7 - I thought he was really good. It seems like his has glue on his boots, the ball just sticks. Did some brilliant pieces of skill to create attacks and slowed down moves forward to try and slow the tempo of the game down. Like Russell in the first half, he was sometimes out of position and left Wisdom exposed.

Coaching Staff - 9 - We did a job on them. Good and proper. That's how you defend a lead Mr Clough :)

Stadium - 10 - My second visits to the AMEX and it really is on another level. The two long stands parellel to each other are something else. Massive. Certainly my favourite ground in this league.

What?!

You seriously defend a lead by sitting incredibly deep and inviting the opposition onto you?

No, thanks.

They didn't score because they weren't good enough. Invite a decent side onto us like we did against Brighton and they would take us to the cleaners.

Nice dig at Clough. He really deserved that :wacko:

Anyone that says that we were lucky last night is talking ******. I could make a really long post explaining why, but I'll just confine it to two points.

Firstly, Garcia was completely outdone by a manager much more experienced than him, particularly in the English game. We restricted them to long range shots and largely controlled the pace of the game. We had to weather a storm in the first half hour and if there was any fault with our performance, it would be that silly free kick Bryson gave away which ultimately led to the goal. Still, McClaren warned his players that Brighton would do that, so we didn't panick after conceding. Much better than Garcia's "we'll beat them in both legs" rhetoric. I still rate Garcia though, and he'll have learned a lot from this season - hopefully he won't implement too much of it on Sunday though.

Secondly, anyone who says we were lucky because of Grant's performance doesn't understand football. Football is a team sport played by 11 players - all 11 players play their part in a performance. The real difference last night wasn't finishing, tactics or passing - it was the goal keepers. Kusczak flapped at things and was a VERY lucky boy not to concede another own goal from that Ward cross in the second half. Grant, on the other hand, couldn't have done anything better.

Eric Steele was the signing of the season for me.

Hmmmmmmmmmm brilliant how "trev" never posts on here unless there's a remark about Clough! Keep the wumming going, think it's quite fun!

There are some matches that live on in the memory, and this was/will be one of them. Worth every minute of the ten hours of driving and home by 3.30. Great ground, great result, excellent atmosphere (home and away fans), friendly stewarding. Only slightly spoilt by crap pie (crust was a lethal weapon) and expensive car park.

Fantastic result but they are more than capable of doing a job on us on Sunday especially if our full backs are as exposed again. Wisdom and Forsyth both had to deal with two attackers on too many occasions which was why Sammo came on IMO, with Dawkins shifted over to help Andre and to try to stem the tide. Partially successful and better option than Bamford.

Grant made some fantastic saves but they pressed our back four and so he had to kick more than I have seen him do for a while, and I don't think that was the best he can do. He is great at throwing the ball out quickly but not so accurate with his kicking. Martin was often having to run a long way to get to it and against Upson it was hard work for him.

One of the things I love about our team is that they don't cave in. There are often heroes - Grant yes last night, but also Keogh and Bucko, especially in that nervous first 20 minutes. We often find a way to win when things aren't going so well.

I wonder if in resting 6 against the dirties we lost a bit of momentum of performance. Our normal fluency and good ball retention was only patchy.

Did Oscar Garcia really say: 'We will beat them in both legs' ?? 

Staggering if true, I don't like him though - a Spanish Billy Davies. He has an excuse list longer than his arm. 

lost 2-1 in August: 'we had many chances to score, they had only three.'

lost 1-0 in January: 'I think we were the better side - their goalkeeper man of the match'

lost 2-1 Yesterday: 'It was an unfair result, we were better than them in all areas' 

Let's hope he keeps racking the excuses up.. 

Did Oscar Garcia really say: 'We will beat them in both legs' ??

Staggering if true, I don't like him though - a Spanish Billy Davies. He has an excuse list longer than his arm.

lost 2-1 in August: 'we had many chances to score, they had only three.'

lost 1-0 in January: 'I think we were the better side - their goalkeeper man of the match'

lost 2-1 Yesterday: 'It was an unfair result, we were better than them in all areas'

Let's hope he keeps racking the excuses up..

que es lo que es

mr clough knows  how to defend thats why he brought grant in man of the match was heis it impossible to enjoy the success of the club without having a dig.shame on you by the way brilliant result

Probably explains why our defensive record under Clough was indifferent at best, and much-improved under McClaren. Well, it would if I was an idiot.

Probably explains why our defensive record under Clough was indifferent at best, and much-improved under McClaren. Well, it would if I was an idiot.

Last season goals against 62

This season goals against 52

Improved by less than 0.25 goals per game.

The difference is how many we have scored this year.

Last season goals against 62This season goals against 52Improved by less than 0.25 goals per game.The difference is how many we have scored this year.

Split this season into Clough v McClaren defence please. You can put the Ipswich first half as Clough and the second half as McClaren if you want to be totally accurate

Last season goals against 62

This season goals against 52

Improved by less than 0.25 goals per game.

The difference is how many we have scored this year.

Goals scored under McClaren in the league: 66

Goals conceded under McClaren in the league: 35

League games played under McClaren in the league: 36

Under McClaren our defence has improved no-end. 

What?!

You seriously defend a lead by sitting incredibly deep and inviting the opposition onto you?

No, thanks.

They didn't score because they weren't good enough. Invite a decent side onto us like we did against Brighton and they would take us to the cleaners.

Nice dig at Clough. He really deserved that :wacko:

Name me a time we've defended deep under Mac and thrown it away? Birmingham? That's all I can think of... It's not luck, it's not "a better team would tear us apart", because they haven't.. Brighton are the 6th best team in the division. Now look back at last season, how many leads did we throw away? Exactly

Archived