Nigel Clough

mcsilks

Nigel Clough  

127 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

There's some silly stuff on here.

I can't decide if its tongue in cheek.

Nigel was a bit dour.

His treatment of Cywka and one or two others was poor.

And occasionally he bought cheap shiite......

But it is surely blatantly obvious that he built this team, made some good signings, encouraged a passing game, and produced players from the academy.

Give him some credit.

Stop trying to rubbish what he did achieve and move on.

• Replies 833
  • Created
  • Last Reply

67 to 3 at the moment.

;)

Make it 68 to 3.

Will not dispute that McClaren has taken us up a level but it has also been done using different resources (Wisdom, Bamford and Thorne)

None of us will ever know if the same resources expended on these players would have been made available to Clough so that is not worth debating.

I just find it odd that some people are so against a manager that left McClaren such a solid platform to build on.

And before I get called a Clough lover or the like, I stayed loyal to NC for the first 4 years but was gradually turning against his negative style and how he came across towards the end of his reign.

There's some silly stuff on here.

I can't decide if its tongue in cheek.

Nigel was a bit dour.

His treatment of Cywka and one or two others was poor.

And occasionally he bought cheap shiite......

But it is surely blatantly obvious that he built this team, made some good signings, encouraged a passing game, and produced players from the academy.

Give him some credit.

Stop trying to rubbish what he did achieve and move on.

He made some good signings, he encouraged a hoofball style of football for four years, he didn't produce any players from the academy and he lost more games than he won here like every season.

But other than that...

He was about as useful to Steve McLaren as Frank Rijkaard was to Pep Guardiola.

I was desperate for a fairy tale story to happen similar to what happened to his dad, I really was.

I think half the problem was his back room staff. They really didn't inspire confidence did they? Who's gone to Sheff united with Clough? I've seen Garner doing some interviews, who else?

he didn't produce any players from the academy

Ignoring the rest.....the usual Bris gem of deliberately controversial nonsense.

Well.... This thread has got rather democratic.

Talking of brilliant English managers in league one.... Take a bow Kenny Jackett

Still shopping in Scotland...Bryson is alright I guess tho

@SkySportsPeteO: Sheffield United are poised to sign Livingston striker Marc McNulty. #ytb #blades http://t.co/lJgzntLCww

I think McNulty was on the verge of signing for Derby a couple of times, think he even came down on a trial and trained with us for a while.

Still shopping in Scotland...Bryson is alright I guess tho

@SkySportsPeteO: Sheffield United are poised to sign Livingston striker Marc McNulty. #ytb #blades http://t.co/lJgzntLCww

That Sheffield United side reads like Nigel's transfer targets and players list from here...

Chris Porter

Jose Baxter

Aidan White

Billy Paynter

John Brayford

Ben Davies

Kieron Freeman

I realise that most were on loan, and that Baxter and Porter were there since before him, but it is interesting.

Add McNulty if he signs too.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him target Shane Lowry now he's been released from Millwall as well.

Like when he was here he seems to stick to his targets. Hopefully it works out for him there, he certainly brought some good players in here.

That Sheffield United side reads like Nigel's transfer targets and players list from here...

Chris Porter

Jose Baxter

Aidan White

Billy Paynter

John Brayford

Ben Davies

Kieron Freeman

I realise that most were on loan, and that Baxter and Porter were there since before him, but it is interesting.

Add McNulty if he signs too.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him target Shane Lowry now he's been released from Millwall as well.

Like when he was here he seems to stick to his targets. Hopefully it works out for him there, he certainly brought some good players in here.

I guess the FA's B Team thing has already come in then.

I'm not an idiot Boycie. I can't just make stuff up to suit my argument.

I think we would be comfortably top 6 but don't think we'd have won as many games to get us so clear in third.

We'll never know what Nigels plans were after the Forest game, if he was going to be brave enough to admit he dropped a ******* in bringing Adam Smith in. Whether we were indeed going to get centre half cover.

Forsyth and Grant had a really shaky start but I can't measure how much of Grants improvement is down to Steele. I'd guess he's had a real influence, so that might not have happened if McClaren hadn't arrived.

I don't think we've played any better either. Just that we've been strong consistently. The tide turned when the team got it's belief.

I don't know if Nige took that belief away from them, but I've said for 2 years that all they needed was to believe in themselves.

No-one pays attention to what I write these days, you all just jump on the fact i supported Nige so strongly so assume I've got it in for McClaren.

I'll go this far, bringing in McClaren has worked out to have been a brilliant decision but it's a decision that I still don't think needed to be made.

I was against the way clough was sacked,but turned out a master stroke !

Do you think clough would have been interested,or able to entice players of Wisdom,Bamford,Thorne etc to derby?

Never mind their parent clubs sanctioning it,as SM is very well respected as a coach

I was against the way clough was sacked,but turned out a master stroke !

Do you think clough would have been interested,or able to entice players of Wisdom,Bamford,Thorne etc to derby?

Never mind their parent clubs sanctioning it,as SM is very well respected as a coach

Can't argue with the fact it's turned out well.

Don't know whether he'd have been interested in them, but do think right back needed strengthening more than centre half, for me Smith was a disastrous signing.

Would the clubs have sanctioned it, I don't know. I get the impression that people are trying to indicate Nigels coaching is a big neanderthal. At Sheffield United he had Conor Coady on loan from Liverpool and I'd imagine he would speak quite highly of him.

I don't see this old fashioned coaching at close quarters so can't work out how he can coach a team to play brilliantly one week but then suddenly forget how to be a good coach the week after.

I think it's a myth.

I might be totally wrong on that and inside football Nige is viewed as a bullying idiot who hasn't got a clue, but I just don't pick up those vibes.

I won't argue that McClaren isn't a better coach.

Archived