Nigel Clough

mcsilks

Nigel Clough  

127 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Commons and Savies for starters, both who left for nominal fees after they wouldn't sign new deals but we still recouped more than what we paid. Then there's Moxey, Shackell, Theo, all sold for (slightly) more than we paid. Obviously Brayford was sold for a considerable profit.

I don't know whether that's a good number or not really without comparing to the dealings of other Championship managers. The obvious thing to point out, though, is that most of his best signings haven't been sold because they're still playing for us as part of a team that finished 3rd in the league. I'd suggest that all but two of the players he signed that currently make our matchday 18 could be sold for a significant profit this summer, the exceptions being Legzdins and Sammon.w

And whilst I don't think Clough would have personally been able to guide this group to such heights as McClaren, I think it goes to show he clearly had an eye for a player.

Paul Jewell signed Commons and Steve Davies and Robbie Savage.

• Replies 833
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What?

Leicester Ram = yet another forum parasite.

Why would I cry over Nigel?

I am very happy for him, and how everything has worked out at Derby.

My issue is merely with those who fail to recognise his efforts with DCDC. 

I spend my time on this forum discussing current issues and having a laugh with my mates, you drone on endlessly about our old manager. I don't think either of us are parasites, but you'd certainly fit the description better.

Most people appreciate what he did, but realise he wasn't the whole package. He had serious failing and it's why he'll only go so far, your 'issue' is that you stuff Clough propaganda down our throats and can't accept that some people won't share the same opinion as you.

Commons and Savies for starters, both who left for nominal fees after they wouldn't sign new deals but we still recouped more than what we paid. Then there's Moxey, Shackell, Theo, all sold for (slightly) more than we paid. Obviously Brayford was sold for a considerable profit.

I don't know whether that's a good number or not really without comparing to the dealings of other Championship managers. The obvious thing to point out, though, is that most of his best signings haven't been sold because they're still playing for us as part of a team that finished 3rd in the league. I'd suggest that all but two of the players he signed that currently make our matchday 18 could be sold for a significant profit this summer, the exceptions being Legzdins and Sammon.

And whilst I don't think Clough would have personally been able to guide this group to such heights as McClaren, I think it goes to show he clearly had an eye for a player.

sdavies I think we paid a tidy sum for, commons you are correct, but both players were not his signings were they?

Theo and Shackell im not sure there are any figures that back this up, although moxey im sure you are right.

Anyhow I digress, yes he had an eye for players, but so have plenty of other managers, the manager for crewe whose name I can't spell being a prime example.

He had 5 years to get some good signings, with a high turnover of players, and his budget was not as small as some make out.

im not belittling his signings he has done well, maybe he is better suited at being a scout than a manager ;-)

sdavies I think we paid a tidy sum for, commons you are correct, but both players were not his signings were they?

Theo and Shackell im not sure there are any figures that back this up, although moxey im sure you are right.

Anyhow I digress, yes he had an eye for players, but so have plenty of other managers, the manager for crewe whose name I can't spell being a prime example.

He had 5 years to get some good signings, with a high turnover of players, and his budget was not as small as some make out.

im not belittling his signings he has done well, maybe he is better suited at being a scout than a manager ;-)

Theo was a free and sold for a nominal fee I think? Both Shackell fees were undisclosed I believe but the reported outgoing was higher than the reported incoming. Not an exact science by any means of course...

You're right though, can't say with certainty another manager wouldn't have done better. I think there were much more clear cut issues with Clough's time here than his transfer dealings though.

Bull I liked rush from the start his drive and ambition showed as soon as he got here.

Don't put words on my mouth.

And the players you mention every one has improved under Mac.

Same players couldn't get a sniff at top 6 we smashed with a change in manager with a positive attitude Bryson 16 goals he didn't get double figures under Clough. Why?

He gets in the box more now as does Hughes as does Hendrick none of this sitting rubbish

Also 47 votes to 2 don't think in the only one

And increased ticket/season ticket sales and general feel good factor returning.

Will not dispute any of the points you have made.

If you don't think we should praise Clough for leaving behind a good, young, hungry squad with plenty of quality and a great togetherness, I will view you as being very short sighted.

Will not dispute any of the points you have made.

If you don't think we should praise Clough for leaving behind a good, young, hungry squad with plenty of quality and a great togetherness, I will view you as being very short sighted.

I did praise him I said he could spot talent that's why I said he's make a very good scout.

Just the management and direction/drive I had issues with.

What about sammon, ben davies, freeman, deeney, chris riggot, croft for example?

Im not knocking his transfer dealings, but your list seems selective in trying to prove your point.

He has found some gems, but he has also found some stinkers, and as yet have we sold a player that he bought for a profit?

Overall im not arguing that his transfer dealings improved us, shame he couldn't get them to be consistent.

Wonder how he rates against someone like jim smith, who brought in the likes of stimac, wanchope, eranio, assa, poom, and the likes in a similar time period, but was able to bring success at the same time.

What about Sammon?

Under Clough he has gained International recognition.

What about Ben Davies?

He was always nothing more than a very cheap squad player.

What about Freeman?

Did we pay anything for him?

Deeney...are you being serious?

Am I really being selective?

I challenge you to put up all of Clough's signings and see if there were more failures than successes. I know what the answer will be.

Most of the signings that didn't work were merely second rate squad players brought in for cover and the like.

How can you not see that?

We have yet to sell a player he brought in for a profit...OK. What does that tell you? If we out up our current squad for sale...most of which Clough brought in, we'd have a very tidy profit.

The market with which he had to trade in is a difficult one. He was given nothing.

Here you go Nigel. Get rid of all of our highly paid players and replace them with players on half their salaries. Oh...and while your at it...we'd like you to improve the clubs position. An impossible task it sounds like but he managed to pull it off and left DCFC with a squad that most Championship managers can only envy. No wonder he wasn't happy with Sam Rush.

What about Sammon?

What about Ben Davies?

What about Freeman?

I challenge you to put up all of Clough's signings and see if there were more failures than successes. I know what the answer will be.

Most of the signings that didn't work were merely second rate squad players brought in for cover and the like.

We have yet to sell a player he brought in for a profit...OK. What does that tell you? If we out up our current squad for sale...most of which Clough brought in, we'd have a very tidy profit.

The market with which he had to trade in is a difficult one. He was given nothing.

Here you go Nigel. Get rid of all of our highly paid players and replace them with players on half their salaries. Oh...and while your at it...we'd like you to improve the clubs position. An impossible task it sounds like but he managed to pull it off and left DCFC with a squad that most Championship managers can only envy. No wonder he wasn't happy with Sam Rush.

Claude davis played for his country does that make him a good player?

Your not being selective, ok what is your criteria for your list where you labelled players good or bad signings, davies for example was around 350k, freeman 150k (I think).

Maybe your right, maybe his strength was in finding good players, and the problem lies in that he is unable to manage them ?

You argue he had such a good squad, yet we never finished higher than 10th, never challenged after xmas within the top 6, im not sure there are many, if any teams over his tenure that can say that....barnsley maybe?

What about Sammon?

What about Ben Davies?

What about Freeman?

What about Sammon?

What about Ben Davies?

What about Freeman?

Maybe that Clough was very good at quick at recognising the good signings and making them an integral part of his squad instead of selling them on.

Archived