Nigel Clough

mcsilks

Nigel Clough  

127 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Most managers would have walked of their own accord if they had to work under the transfer regulations that Clough had. He was forced to dabble in the lower leagues when managers around him had money to spend.

Not this tripe again. "No one can/could do a better job than Clough under these financial ..." bla blah blah

• Replies 833
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Where have you got this 5 year Lee Croft contract from curtains? I believe he signed on a 3 year deal.

I think it shows you're clutching at straws when you're using that, the signing of another free transfer in Dave Martin and the £400k Chris Maguire as a stick to beat Clough's transfer dealings. Sammon was his only really significant 'failure' for me - due to the alleged significant fee - and even he has played a part at times.

I'd agree when you say he didn't really achieve his goals but I think to suggest this was down to his transfers is wide of the mark.

I can agree to a certain extent but along the way he had success and failure with transfers. Croft was a 5 year failure and Maguire was a failure along with the winger Martin for example but Brayford was a success as was Shackell and Barker.

He couldn't keep hold of Hulse and Commons etc because of constraints so it is true he did have to trim the squad.

He did have successes I'm not denying that but overall he didn't achieve his and the fans goals apart from brilliant records against Forest and Leeds and retaining our Championship status.

It took Clough 10 years at Burton and I suggest we don't know what would have happened at Derby.

The board wanted to change.

He was the player of the season for Norwich the year we signed him. Can't really fault Clough for bringing in a player of that caliber and the fans were very happy at the time.

A player whose personal problems got the better of him.

Still, he was on a free though.

Is that all you got? Croft, Maguire and Martin?

I can name you so many more stella signings Clough made.

I can agree to a certain extent but along the way he had success and failure with transfers. Croft was a 5 year failure and Maguire was a failure along with the winger Martin for example but Brayford was a success as was Shackell and Barker.

He couldn't keep hold of Hulse and Commons etc because of constraints so it is true he did have to trim the squad.

He did have successes I'm not denying that but overall he didn't achieve his and the fans goals apart from brilliant records against Forest and Leeds and retaining our Championship status.

It took Clough 10 years at Burton and I suggest we don't know what would have happened at Derby.

The board wanted to change.

His failures:

Chris Porter

James O'Conner

Dave Martin

Chris Maguire

Lee Hendrie

Nathan Tyson

Conor Doyle

His successes:

Craig Bryson

Jason Shackell

Richard Keogh

Shaun Barker

John Brayford

Lee Grant

Johnny Russell

Jamie Ward

Jake Buxton

Gareth Roberts

Chris Martin

John Eustace

Craig Forsyth

How can anyone say that Clough wasn't anything short of excellent in the transfer market. That lot was picked up for peanuts.

His failures on the whole cost very little and his successes were on the whole very, very cheap.

I look at that list of players he brought in, stare at it open mouthed and think wow...thank you Clough. I really do.

His failures:

Chris Porter

James O'Conner

Dave Martin

Chris Maguire

Lee Hendrie

Nathan Tyson

Conor Doyle

His successes:

Craig Bryson

Jason Shackell

Richard Keogh

Shaun Barker

John Brayford

Lee Grant

Johnny Russell

Jamie Ward

Jake Buxton

Gareth Roberts

Chris Martin

John Eustace

Craig Forsyth

How can anyone say that Clough wasn't anything short of excellent in the transfer market. That lot was picked up for peanuts.

His failures on the whole cost very little and his successes were on the whole very, very cheap.

I look at that list of players he brought in, stare at it open mouthed and think wow...thank you Clough. I really do.

Why did Shackell leave ? What happened with Cywka and Leackock and Addison.

Why did Theo leave ?

Where have you got this 5 year Lee Croft contract from curtains? I believe he signed on a 3 year deal.

I think it shows you're clutching at straws when you're using that, the signing of another free transfer in Dave Martin and the £400k Chris Maguire as a stick to beat Clough's transfer dealings. Sammon was his only really significant 'failure' for me - due to the alleged significant fee - and even he has played a part at times.

I'd agree when you say he didn't really achieve his goals but I think to suggest this was down to his transfers is wide of the mark.

Croft was 5 years as far as I know.

Because he was a greedy little **** who didn't want to sign the contract that Clough wanted him to.

He was turned.

Good riddance.

Because he was a greedy little **** who didn't want to sign the contract that Clough wanted him to.

He was turned.

Good riddance.

what happened with Doyle and Deeney.

what happened with Doyle and Deeney.

Are you going to mention all of Derby's second string players?

That really is all you are doing. Talking of players who offered little to the first team (with the exception of Davies)

Frank Fielding what about him

WHAT about him?

He is a goalkeeper that used to play for Derby.

His career has gone downhill since leaving the club.

He played his best football under the guidance of Clough and it was under his management that he was even talked of as being a future England keeper.

Thank you for further cementing my pro Clough debate.

WHAT about him?

He is a goalkeeper that used to play for Derby.

His career has gone downhill since leaving the club.

He played his best football under the guidance of Clough and it was under his management that he was even talked of as being a future England keeper.

Thank you for further cementing my pro Clough debate.

Cloughs history McClaren is the future lol

Archived