Nigel Clough

mcsilks

Nigel Clough  

127 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 833
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm off out for a lovely traditional sunday dinner with my mam and dad in law and thought some of you might enjoy reading this article by captain fantastic Richard Keogh while I was out.

Remember, Richard Keogh, the lad a lot of you wrote off as not being good enough for a top 6 team.

To be fair, it could have been Buxton, Martin, Forsyth, Grant, Bryson or any of the others he brought in who a lot of you wrote off as not being good enough for a top 6 team either.

http://www.burtonmail.co.uk/Sport/Derby-County-FC/DERBY-COUNTY-PLAY-OFF-BUILD-UP-Richard-Keogh-says-Nigel-Clough-needs-credit-for-Rams-glory-20140508120000.htm

I'm off out for a lovely traditional sunday dinner with my mam and dad in law and thought some of you might enjoy reading this article by captain fantastic Richard Keogh while I was out.

Remember, Richard Keogh, the lad a lot of you wrote off as not being good enough for a top 6 team.

To be fair, it could have been Buxton, Martin, Forsyth, Grant, Bryson or any of the others he brought in who a lot of you wrote off as not being good enough for a top 6 team either.

http://www.burtonmail.co.uk/Sport/Derby-County-FC/DERBY-COUNTY-PLAY-OFF-BUILD-UP-Richard-Keogh-says-Nigel-Clough-needs-credit-for-Rams-glory-20140508120000.htm

Interesting that even his captain admits it was a decision that you can't argue with.

Know your feelings Ronnie so won't antagonise you but is it any coincidence that a lot of the players that were written off have improved beyond recognition under the new management team?

Interesting that even his captain admits it was a decision that you can't argue with.

Know your feelings Ronnie so won't antagonise you but is it any coincidence that a lot of the players that were written off have improved beyond recognition under the new management team?

It;s a weird one GStar cos even I'm not arguing that the decision to bring in McClaren was wrong, clearly it wasn't.

I don't believe they've improved beyond all recognition. I think they've cut out the stupid mistakes they made, this season it's not like we were in the doldrums with the players lacking confidence.

If anyone tells me McClaren is responsible for the "improvement" in Buxton, I'm afraid I'm going to laugh in their faces.

It;s a weird one GStar cos even I'm not arguing that the decision to bring in McClaren was wrong, clearly it wasn't.

I don't believe they've improved beyond all recognition. I think they've cut out the stupid mistakes they made, this season it's not like we were in the doldrums with the players lacking confidence.

If anyone tells me McClaren is responsible for the "improvement" in Buxton, I'm afraid I'm going to laugh in their faces.

Would have to disagree and say the goalkeeper and defence look completely different to the one that was leaking goals (especially from set pieces) prior to the arrival of Mac & Co.

I wouldn't say the rest of the team have changed that much, they have just been given a more positive style.

Would kind of agree with Bucko comment, think he has been improving ever since he arrived but was often the 'non league' stick used to beat NC with.

Would have to disagree and say the goalkeeper and defence look completely different to the one that was leaking goals (especially from set pieces) prior to the arrival of Mac & Co.

I wouldn't say the rest of the team have changed that much, they have just been given a more positive style.

Would kind of agree with Bucko comment, think he has been improving ever since he arrived but was often the 'non league' stick used to beat NC with.

Grant has looked brilliant lately. Even I'd have to put that down to Mac and Steele. I'd agree with you.

defence - Wisdom is better than Smith. I'd agree with everyone who asked.

Two centre halfs are the same for me.

Forsyth  has just cut out his errors (but he's still got an error in him).

I think we're playing as positively as we ever did under NC but not more so.

I should clear up as well that I'm not saying NC was responsible for getting us promoted if we go up but to see people still give him no credit after getting it so badly wrong that we had a squad to compete. I just don't agree.

Grant has looked brilliant lately. Even I'd have to put that down to Mac and Steele. I'd agree with you.

defence - Wisdom is better than Smith. I'd agree with everyone who asked.

Two centre halfs are the same for me.

Forsyth has just cut out his errors (but he's still got an error in him).

I think we're playing as positively as we ever did under NC but not more so.

I should clear up as well that I'm not saying NC was responsible for getting us promoted if we go up but to see people still give him no credit after getting it so badly wrong that we had a squad to compete. I just don't agree.

Forsyth and Keogh had both become liabilities in my opinion, although we all already knew that Keogh had the quality. Forsyth is definitely a confidence player so I suppose we could put his improvement down to playing in a team winning more games than it is losing.

Personally I think the difference in style of play is that we look to get the ball forward quicker and play football in areas where we can hurt defences instead of doing it in our own half.

100% agree with your final paragraph.

Stop telling lies.

I am delighted with McClaren. This is how I started this thread.

"Eight straight wins and a quarter final appearance in the FA Cup.

So glad he proving just what a top manager he is.

Great stuff Nigel. You deserve all of your plaudits"

Why would you post a bare faced lie Curtains?

Shame on you...

Why brag about his achievements.

Give the man an Oscar.

Was it really 8 straight wins didn't realize that

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/teams/sheffield-united/results

Question mcsilks.

Were you happy when Nigel was sacked and replaced with McClaren because I was at the time and yes I said at the time.

Give the man an Oscar.

Question mcsilks.

Were you happy when Nigel was sacked and replaced with McClaren because I was at the time and yes I said at the time.

It was actually 10 games in a row. With 8 clean sheets in those 10 games.

But of course he doesn't know how to build a winning side.

It was actually 10 games in a row. With 8 clean sheets in those 10 games.

But of course he doesn't know how to build a winning side.

Thats why I posted this link from BBC .

I hope Nigel does well at Sheff U next season but I thought the time was right for a change at the Rams .

Nigel may not have liked the sack at Derby who would but ultimately he had 5 years at the Rams and how he viewed them years will probably never be aired.

Good luck Nigel .

Give the man an Oscar.

Question mcsilks.

No, I wasn't particularly happy at the time. I felt Clough's work was not recognised by the incoming Sam Rush.

He has however been proven to be right in his managerial selection. Who can doubt the work McClaren has done. 

I am delighted for McClaren and am sure that should we beat QPR in the final, he will accept that a huge amount of thanks is reserved for the previous management.

So all you can say is "Give the man an oscar". Hmmm...that's not very nice now is it. He doesn't really need an oscar though does he. He has won recognition in the shape of a national award from the FA. 

I have answered your question. 

Now you can answer mine.

Why did you tell a blatant lie and state that I "taunted the pro-McClaren faithful" when I started this thread?

Do you think that telling a lie would somehow enforce the point you were trying to make?

No, I wasn't particularly happy at the time. I felt Clough's work was not recognised by the incoming Sam Rush.

He has however been proven to be right in his managerial selection. Who can doubt the work McClaren has done.

I am delighted for McClaren and am sure that should we beat QPR in the final, he will accept that a huge amount of thanks is reserved for the previous management.

So all you can say is "Give the man an oscar". Hmmm...that's not very nice now is it. He doesn't really need an oscar though does he. He has won recognition in the shape of a national award from the FA.

I have answered your question.

Now you can answer mine.

Why did you tell a blatant lie and state that I "taunted the pro-McClaren faithful" when I started this thread?

Do you think that telling a lie would somehow enforce the point you were trying to make?

Because I thought with the tone of that post you were implying that Nigel should not have been sacked and look this is the reason why ! 8 straight wins.

I'm not sure if the Rams were dipping slightly at the time so you saw it as a good opportunity to say look see how good Nigel is I told you all.

If that's not what was your intention then I apologize

Because I thought with the tone of that post you were implying that Nigel should not have been sacked and look this is the reason why !

A great many people thought that Clough shouldn't have been sacked.

That has nothing to do however with the man that is appointed as his successor. 

I would have wanted Basil Brush to do well had he been given the job and not McClaren. 

The club is No.1. Who manages it will always have my support from the beginning.

Because I thought with the tone of that post you were implying that Nigel should not have been sacked and look this is the reason why ! 8 straight wins.

I'm not sure if the Rams were dipping slightly at the time so you saw it as a good opportunity to say look see how good Nigel is I told you all.

If that's not what was your intention then I apologize

I'll accept that  :wub:

A great many people thought that Clough shouldn't have been sacked.

That has nothing to do however with the man that is appointed as his successor.

I would have wanted Basil Brush to do well had he been given the job and not McClaren.

The club is No.1. Who manages it will always have my support from the beginning.

Thats fair enough but I remember people on phone In shows and forums going mad about the Rams appointing the Wally with the Brolly etc etc etc

A lot of people at the time of Nigel's sacking disagreed with it and the way it was done.

My view is there is no easy way to sack anyone and sacking Nigel was really difficult as he was a Rams hero to many.

I don't like seeing anyone sacked .

PS I went to a few pubs on the pub tour with Sam Rush and they at first had a difficult time convincing RAMS FANS they had done the right thing.

They may never convince some but that's Football .

Look at Wenger a lot of Arsenal fans wanted him out but now they may change their minds after a good season.

Archived