Nigel Clough

mcsilks

Nigel Clough  

127 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 833
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We're doing ok without him!

Sam Rush what a top bloke who got rid of the bile and gave the feel good factor back to the rams.

Feels better now don't it ey

On 24th May when Grant, Buxton, Keogh, Forsyth, Ward, Bryson and Martin walk out on to the pitch have a quick think about how they ended up at this club. Also have a think about who it was who gave Hughes and Hendrick their chance to blossom.

With an attitude like yours you will go to the grave very sad and very lonely.

I would hazard a guess that Sam Rush used to be on the end of your tirades too before we stepped up that extra level.

They clearly don't have poor players and have proven that when managed properly as Clough has done (their league form was very good since he took over and his cup run was acknowledged with a national award), they are in fact a decent side.

:

Managed properly? Does he no longer slag players off in public or ostracise them?

Just writing a wrong.

I don't go in for this fishing, bait malarky that you all seem to want to on here.

Straight talking and tell it how it is.

Not me squire, i got hooked into debating the merits of possession.

I'm wiser to it now.

On 24th May when Grant, Buxton, Keogh, Forsyth, Ward, Bryson and Martin walk out on to the pitch have a quick think about how they ended up at this club. Also have a think about who it was who gave Hughes and Hendrick their chance to blossom.

With an attitude like yours you will go to the grave very sad and very lonely.

I would hazard a guess that Sam Rush used to be on the end of your tirades too before we stepped up that extra level.

Bull I liked rush from the start his drive and ambition showed as soon as he got here.

Don't put words on my mouth.

And the players you mention every one has improved under Mac.

Same players couldn't get a sniff at top 6 we smashed with a change in manager with a positive attitude Bryson 16 goals he didn't get double figures under Clough. Why?

He gets in the box more now as does Hughes as does Hendrick none of this sitting rubbish

Also 47 votes to 2 don't think in the only one

We, as a club, are back at Wembley for a play off final. What a sad and unnecessary 36 page thread this is.

Not really. he's one of our longest serving managers, steered the club through a very difficult period very well (in some eyes) but managed to upset other fans along the way. Bound to be a topic for debate.

The fact is that Steve didn't have to tweak much to transform the team so many of us will always thank Nige for putting that foundation in place at such a ridiculously low cost.

DCFC are in a better place after Clough's tenure than before!

So there...... :D

anyway, me knees have gone all trembley, were on our way to wembley, lalalalalalalalalalalala

Agree with all of that. What I meant is the way it has descended into bickering.

The thing is Brian Clough went to Forest and he won 2 European Cups for them and after he left Forest have never recovered.

They still revere him as we do at Derby.

Nigel was seen as a Clough returning as our saviour after Billy Davies and Paul Jewell and the 11 point Premier League season.

Nigel did a reasonable job in 5 years and it's true he left us with some good players but people were losing interest in DCFC and a change was needed.

He has found happiness at Sheff U so why all the constant feuds about his reign at Derby

PS. Brian Clough had the chance to return to DCFC but chose to stay at Forest but Peter Taylor returned and that wasn't well accepted by Brian allegedly. People should read the history !

The percentage win rates for the managers since I have been watching Derby are as follows:

Steve McClaren 61.11

Billy Davies 44.93

Roy McFarland 43.01

Arthur Cox 40.62

George Burley 36.45

Jim Smith 35.23

Nigel Clough 32.9

John Gregory 29.09

Peter Taylor 28.79

Terry Westley 25

Colin Todd 23.53

Paul Jewell 22.41

Phil Brown 21.21

Based on that, and how I would rank Clough in comparison to the others, I'd say it's fair to say he's average.  Obviously, it doesn't tell the full picture, as I'd have Smith and Cox up at the top and Davies would be a lot further down.

However, I won't remember him as one of our better managers, nor will I remember him as one of the worst.

We wouldn't be in this position without Clough, or McClaren. Enormous thanks to them both, from me.

I can't agree with that .

But IMO we wouldn't have been in this position without McClaren taking over the squad .

You don't know what the previous 5 years would of been like with a different manager to Nigel Clough and I suggest no one does.

After all Clough did take over a Championship side that had been relegated granted but he had 5 years

He should have had some success in 5 years shouldn't he !

I suppose we could of been relegated under Clough like say in the Wolves scenario .

It will be interesting to see what sort of players Clough tries to sign this summer now he has a 'budget'.

Are you suggesting he never had a budget at Derby and he didn't spend any Barker type fees or Commons type wages.

He gave Savage an extended contract as he did Leacock etc

He got Croft on 5 year deal on a free but on high wages and brought Shackell etc etc.

How much did Brayford and Bailey cost and then there was Chris Maguire.

I can't agree with that .

But IMO we wouldn't have been in this position without McClaren taking over the squad .

You don't know what the previous 5 years would of been like with a different manager to Nigel Clough and I suggest no one does.

After all Clough did take over a Championship side that had been relegated granted but he had 5 years

He should have had some success in 5 years shouldn't he !

I suppose we could of been relegated under Clough like say in the Wolves scenario .

Clough had to trim the wage bill every year he was with the club.

Granted he brought in one or two but the only money he spent he generated himself.

He cut our wage bill in half, got rid of an entire squad, replaced them with largely lower league players and put together a squad of players good enough to finish in the upper echelons of the Championship.

That was relative success.

How quick some are too forget the state we were in.

Most managers would have walked of their own accord if they had to work under the transfer regulations that Clough had. He was forced to dabble in the lower leagues when managers around him had money to spend.

Clough had to trim the wage bill every year he was with the club.

Granted he brought in one or two but the only money he spent he generated himself.

He cut our wage bill in half, got rid of an entire squad, replaced them with largely lower league players and put together a squad of players good enough to finish in the upper echelons of the Championship.

That was relative success.

How quick some are too forget the state we were in.

Most managers would have walked of their own accord if they had to work under the transfer regulations that Clough had. He was forced to dabble in the lower leagues when managers around him had money to spend.

I can agree to a certain extent but along the way he had success and failure with transfers. Croft was a 5 year failure and Maguire was a failure along with the winger Martin for example but Brayford was a success as was Shackell and Barker.

He couldn't keep hold of Hulse and Commons etc because of constraints so it is true he did have to trim the squad.

He did have successes I'm not denying that but overall he didn't achieve his and the fans goals apart from brilliant records against Forest and Leeds and retaining our Championship status.

It took Clough 10 years at Burton and I suggest we don't know what would have happened at Derby.

The board wanted to change.

Archived