Nigel Clough

mcsilks

Nigel Clough  

127 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 833
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You should know you started the thread with Cloughs Sheff U achievements taunting the pro McClaren faithful

Stop telling lies.

I am delighted with McClaren.  This is how I started this thread.

"Eight straight wins and a quarter final appearance in the FA Cup.

So glad he proving just what a top manager he is.

Great stuff Nigel. You deserve all of your plaudits"

Why would you post a bare faced lie Curtains?

Shame on you...

Stop telling lies.

I am delighted with McClaren. This is how I started this thread.

"Eight straight wins and a quarter final appearance in the FA Cup.

So glad he proving just what a top manager he is.

Great stuff Nigel. You deserve all of your plaudits"

Why would you post a bare faced lie Curtains?

Shame on you...

You never comment when I praise Clough do you ,so your part of the problem.

Clough s doing well at Sheff U . There I've praised. Clough.

you never comment when I praise Clough do yo so your part of the problem.

Clough s doing well at Sheff U . There I've praised. Clough.

Are you on some kind of prescription medicine?

do yo so...what?

You may want to take a lie down...

No apology needed.

I just think you should've been a bit more clear in the point you were trying to get across instead of just throwing names out at random...

For the record I'm glad Nigel is gone but his transfers for me were never an issue. Considering the situation I don't think any more could have reasonably been expected of him in this regard.

No apology needed.

I just think you should've been a bit more clear in the point you were trying to get across instead of just throwing names out at random...

For the record I'm glad Nigel is gone but his transfers for me were never an issue. Considering the situation I don't think any more could have reasonably been expected of him in this regard.

I'm not against Nigel per say . In fact I like him as a person and have spoke to him a few times.

I honestly believe he's better off at Sheff U away from the Clough Derby County thing .

That's my opinion

Football is not an exact science we all know that.

I don't feel sorry for him at all he's his own man with a strong character .

Clough did a great job coming in and stopping the slide. He got rid of all the overpaid dross from the squad and kept us in the league with an ever reducing budget. He made some very good signings but also some very poor ones, but which manager doesn't do that? He was committed to utilizing our excellent academy (thanks Darren Wassall).

He masterminded some great victories over Leeds and Forest, but at other times seemed poor tactically and presided over some terrible defeats. I don't think he could have took us any further, due to slight negativity in tactics, so we changed the manager and are reaping the rewards now.

So thanks Clough for giving us a good base to build from for the future, but we should be looking forwards now, not back.

With regards to Sheff Utd, with their squad and budget any half decent manager would have been able to take them up the league. It will be interesting to see how they do next season, as with their budget anything less than top 2 with be seen as failure.

So was Man City's potential 8th place 10 years ago?

A teams potential is decided on the strength of their ownership and more importantly, how much they are willing to spend.

Leicester City's owners are saying they will have a top 5 place within 2 years and are talking of throwing 180M at their side.

If they do that. they will break the top 8 and throw your deluded argument into the water.

I thought it was based on fans? Not money....

There is no difference between Sheff Utd and Rotherham unless one of them receives Man City type money (I'll hold off on Leicester first to see how they do - than 180m will turn out to be malarky IMO)

His failures:

Chris Porter

James O'Conner

Dave Martin

Chris Maguire

Lee Hendrie

Nathan Tyson

Conor Doyle

His successes:

Craig Bryson

Jason Shackell

Richard Keogh

Shaun Barker

John Brayford

Lee Grant

Johnny Russell

Jamie Ward

Jake Buxton

Gareth Roberts

Chris Martin

John Eustace

Craig Forsyth

How can anyone say that Clough wasn't anything short of excellent in the transfer market. That lot was picked up for peanuts.

His failures on the whole cost very little and his successes were on the whole very, very cheap.

I look at that list of players he brought in, stare at it open mouthed and think wow...thank you Clough. I really do.

What about sammon, ben davies, freeman, deeney, chris riggot, croft for example?

Im not knocking his transfer dealings, but your list seems selective in trying to prove your point.

He has found some gems, but he has also found some stinkers, and as yet have we sold a player that he bought for a profit?

Overall im not arguing that his transfer dealings improved us, shame he couldn't get them to be consistent.

Wonder how he rates against someone like jim smith, who brought in the likes of stimac, wanchope, eranio, assa, poom, and the likes in a similar time period, but was able to bring success at the same time.

There are plenty of decent sides in Division One. 

You just think football played outside of the Premiership top 4 is rubbish.

You have no appreciation of lower league football. 

I'm surprised you support Derby. 

Why are you surpised? 

I have no appreciation for rubbish hoofball, hence my dislike of Clough's reign here.

But there are some teams which play nice football outside the PL (let alone the top four). Us for instance. I'm a big fan of Keith Hill and glad he's got Rochdale promoted again.

WHAT about him?

He is a goalkeeper that used to play for Derby.

His career has gone downhill since leaving the club.

He played his best football under the guidance of Clough and it was under his management that he was even talked of as being a future England keeper.

Thank you for further cementing my pro Clough debate.

Or he was a promising goalkeeper ruined by his time at Derby.

Who knows.

Even if one accepts the premise that Clough was a success in the transfer market, there's enough evidence for me to believe he was a poor manager of people. The public slaggings, the disappeared players... Passionate perhaps. But Anyone who manages a group of people knows that one cannot be led by passions.

He has found some gems, but he has also found some stinkers, and as yet have we sold a player that he bought for a profit?

Commons and Savies for starters, both who left for nominal fees after they wouldn't sign new deals but we still recouped more than what we paid. Then there's Moxey, Shackell, Theo, all sold for (slightly) more than we paid. Obviously Brayford was sold for a considerable profit.

I don't know whether that's a good number or not really without comparing to the dealings of other Championship managers. The obvious thing to point out, though, is that most of his best signings haven't been sold because they're still playing for us as part of a team that finished 3rd in the league. I'd suggest that all but two of the players he signed that currently make our matchday 18 could be sold for a significant profit this summer, the exceptions being Legzdins and Sammon.

And whilst I don't think Clough would have personally been able to guide this group to such heights as McClaren, I think it goes to show he clearly had an eye for a player.

Archived