if we are promoted........

davenportram

Jake 'Franz' Buxton  

103 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When we signed Buxton I looked at his record and doubted that he would even be good enough as back up...I was wrong

When he had all those injuries I thought that he would struggle to sustain a career as a professional footballer...I was wrong

When he started playing regularly I thought that he would soon lose his place...I was wrong

As this season unfolded and it became clear that we were looking to move on from being also-rans I doubted that Jake had the quality to make the step up...I was wrong

Currently, I doubt that Jake Buxton has the quality to play in the Premier League...just watch the  bearded wonder prove me wrong

again

At this point I wouldn't actually bet against him getting some England caps and Champions League winner's medal

it's quite insulting to single him out IMO.

If we get promotion, I challenge anyone to argue that Buxton hasn't been in the top 3 or 4 most consistent top performers for us this season, and his actual contribution would warrant him keeping his shirt. I'm realistic enough to know that Buxton's only weakness is turning speed, this may be exploited in the Premier League, but only against a select few.

I think he will still be aerial dominant against 90% of players, obviously Crouch, Benteke...etc are an exception. And he won't lose the ball or make stupid mistakes.

However, as Torres proved in his little cameo - the top brass can get the better of his positionally, and if they can do that he hasn't got the pace to make up for it.

Keogh won't be able to manage it IMO, but this is often the case. We would need two new starting centre-backs as a necessity. 

I think if we're promoted we could convince Wisdom to stay, already proven himself in the Premier League IMO and Forsyth I think would struggle, certainly to establish himself. 

It's a big, big jump from the strikers at this level to the next - defensive investment would be our main priority. We'd need a few top draw players coming in though, fortunately we haven't bogged ourselves down with Championship standard players on long contracts though - mention no names  :ph34r:

However, as Torres proved in his little cameo - the top brass can get the better of his positionally, and if they can do that he hasn't got the pace to make up for it.

He had Eto'o in his back pocket though.

A sentence I'd never thought I'd say when he signed.

He had Eto'o in his back pocket though.

A sentence I'd never thought I'd say when he signed.

Yeah, I suspect that was down to his lack of movement - I'd back Buxton over 90% of players in England from a standing position, he seems to have that will of getting to the ball first that most players just don't have. 

I think Bucko would be good, I think he is understated as it is. I would argue he's up there with the best in the league, but problem is I don't see any centre-backs, apart from perhaps Upson and Morrison that I think would be good in the Premier League. 

In fact, Liam Moore at Fester - he will step up.

It's a big, big jump from the strikers at this level to the next - defensive investment would be our main priority. We'd need a few top draw players coming in though, fortunately we haven't bogged ourselves down with Championship standard players on long contracts though - mention no names  :ph34r:

Perhaps one benefit of loans, we are not bogged down with a big squad we totally need to overhaul when we get promoted.

If/when we go up there are more decisions to be made than just Bucko - IMO we should keep him.

Wisdom, Bamford, Whitbread, Thorne all potentially go back to their clubs; decisions have to be made about Barks and Coutts and whether they are fit and/or good enough bearing in mind that SM won't have seen them play; of the younger ones, will Jeff, after a patchy season, want to stay; will Will want to stay another season; does Mason see his career blocked or opening up; are Jamie and Eustace, Chris Martin and Conor good enough to keep? And then there's all the fringe players - OB, Bailey, Freeman, Morch etc.

I might well be remembering wrong but when we went up with Jim Smith, Paul McGrath and Asa were the two major changes. Basically he kept the same team around him, maintained the team spirit, allowed players to prove themselves, or not, in the PL. Robbie van de Laan didn't really work but Gary Rowatt did. The significant changes came in seasons two and three.

Money will be important but so is continuity, team spirit and momentum - better perhaps to keep most of the current squad, including one or two loanees, but add some well paid/expensive experience in two, maybe three, key positions and then see where it takes us.

Which is why I would keep Jake.

Seriously, I would hope we would release him and let him choose his own club - he deserves that much

at least. He would probably end up as club captain at Burton Albion/ or even Shef Utd.

That's only if we go up thou, otherwise sign him up again.

So Buxton who is a very good champ defender would go to league 1/2 if we go up!?

No way should we sell him

I remember him getting ripped to shreds by Paul Hayes & Gary Hooper away at Scunny Utd when he'd only been with us 6 or so months. Thought then he was at least 2 divisions above his natural level.

Since then though he's improved massively. He will always struggle against strikers with real good movement & pace but his awareness & positioning are now very good meaning he doesn't get exposed as much as he used to. Aerially excellent for a guy his size & brave to boot. But most of all, love his attitude. Every happy & successful squad needs a player like Jake.

If we were to go up, I'd definitely want him to stay. Don't think he'd be a guaranteed starter but he'd be a useful asset, especially with some real pace alongside him. It'll be a sad day for Derby when he does eventually leave. And I never thought I'd be saying that after trudging away from Glanford Park that day in 2009...

Which Premier League we talking about?

Arsenal

Man City

Liverpool

Chelsea

United

Everton etc

Or...

Norwich

Palace

Sunderland

Villa

Stoke

Forest/Leicester/Burnley/Reading/QPR etc

At our best with a few smart additions we'll have a fair chance.

Getting all clumsy and scrappy like we do sometimes and it's a thin chance.

We'll get more time to play our game in the PL but if we aren't at our very best for the games in bottom league then we can expect to be back at St Andrews soon

Archived