Current form and Wigan

ariotofmyown

The defeats vs Chelsea, Wigan and Leicester were a bit of a comedown after our amazing run before them. I was still thinking we hadn't got back on track yet but now realise we have only gone and picked up 14 points from the last 18.

We are the only top side to have played Wigan twice too. They seem to be coming on strong now and should be a great help for us towards automatic. Forest can do us a few favours too perhaps. I'm still waiting for Leicester to crumble too. Surely not this year, but different mindset towards end of season when you can only throw it away yourself.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, not against us, cos were not playing them again. But if they want to get that lucky against someone else, that's couldn't hurt.

I love that we've played Leicester, QPR and Wigan twice already, and we're 3rd. They've got to be 3 of the strongest teams in the league, and we don't have to concern ourselves with them any more. Everyone else (ie Forest and Burnley) do.

let's assume fester win all their games. serious bonus for us

(and then let us win all our games.)

Leicester are far enough ahead that it certainly would be a bonus if they went on and won all those key games. Home to QPR, away to Forest, Reading and Burnley. If they could win those games it would be a massive help for us, not that Reading should be an issue for us, at least until the playoffs. Wigan and Brighton certainly have their part to play against them as well.

The key for us though is being in or around second come the Forest game, if we're within touching distance at that time, we should be capable of taking command from there.

6 more wins will guarantee us a playoff spot.

Slightly pessimistic I know, but I'm looking at it from an exciting point of view. We'll finally have some May games to play for.

We can get promoted - why not?

One of Burnley, Derby, Forest or QPR will go up automatically.. It's a 4-horse race now.

Our last 8 games of the season are against teams outside the top ten. If we can close to second at this point, we would be in a great place.

Next 4 games are interesting. We've got Burnley plus 3 'easier' home games. Burnley got us and Forest at home before 2 away games at Blackbun and Brum. QPR away 3 times out of 4.

It's probably worth noting that Burnley have only won two of their last 10 away games.. They don't strike me as the bravest team too.

If there is one thing that QPR and Derby have over Forest and Bunrley it's bravery. We're far more likely to pick up those extra two points than just the one for a 'solid away draw' because we go for it more.

We may lose one or two along the way, but as obvious as it gets. One win and one loss is more points than two draws.

You can imagine that a clubs mentality might change at this point. Where you sort of try to fend off the teams below you by being sensible and not careless in games.

Think this is how teams blow it. And certain managers.

I bet it can be hard to manage tbf. All you have to do at this stage is just keep a steady trickle of points coming in. You don't have to take risks because losing risks your position. So you just try to fight for whatever is on offer in each match. I think it's easy to become quite a negative side.

You just want to tick games off and every point is a tighter grip on the play off spots.

Not a very confident way of looking at it is it? But I'm guessing that's why it's "we've got there, now the hard bit is staying there".

Say Derby v Bournemouth and Forest v Leicester. A draw would be one game less for Ipswich/Wigan to catch us and 1point more for them to try and beat. Edging closer.

I think McClaren can manage the situation better than Dyche or Davies. But with head to heads still to come those results will obviously have a big say in the final standings. If we take anything off them then I think we'd be well set for automatic.

QPR are messing up. Terrible performances v Burnley and us considering the experience within that club.

It's probably worth noting that Burnley have only won two of their last 10 away games.. They don't strike me as the bravest team too.

If there is one thing that QPR and Derby have over Forest and Bunrley it's bravery. We're far more likely to pick up those extra two points than just the one for a 'solid away draw' because we go for it more.

We may lose one or two along the way, but as obvious as it gets. One win and one loss is more points than two draws.

Spot on. I couldn't make it yesterday (gutted), but Mclaren was at it again, bringing forwards on for midfielders rather than settling for a comfortable point. Inspired! COYR

Archived