Current form and Wigan

ariotofmyown

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We can win the Burnley game, they seem to be going through a bit of a blip at the moment

so anything is possible.

Would anyone settle for a draw before we go?

Nope.

The Memsahib and I are heading up to Blackpool on the friday afternoon, over to Burnley for the game then back to strut down the Golden Mile voiceless but with three points safely in the bag on Saturday night. Then another day at t'seaside before heading back  home on Sunday evening.

We're also doing a 'grand away match tour' at the start of April - up to Redkuh (Redcar - but that's how they pronounce it) on the Friday night, Middlesbrough game on Saturday, drive over the Pennines to Blackpool on Sunday, Rams game on Tuesday night, back home on Wednesday.

The missus has finally got the bug back again after more than 30 years - thanks, Schteve.

I think that result tonight may have been a wee bit fantastique for us.

Burnley and Forest draw on Saturday, with us (touch wood) beating Bournemouth and we are looking in great shape.

How long until Leicester start to panic again. They are not very good at closing the deal. They look a long way clear at the moment but even if they drop off a bit, say 5 points out of 12, then that gap will start to narrow.

I think us and Burnley have a slight advantage as it's unexpected that we are doing so well. Qpr and Leicester have to go up and if Forest fail again, are they gonna be allowed yet more stellar signings? If we don't make it this year, it's tough to see how we won't be as least as strong as we are now.

How long until Leicester start to panic again. They are not very good at closing the deal. They look a long way clear at the moment but even if they drop off a bit, say 5 points out of 12, then that gap will start to narrow.

I think us and Burnley have a slight advantage as it's unexpected that we are doing so well. Qpr and Leicester have to go up and if Forest fail again, are they gonna be allowed yet more stellar signings? If we don't make it this year, it's tough to see how we won't be as least as strong as we are now.

That's the thing. I think we are win/win.

We either go up, or macca has a proper full transfer window and we improve further.

That's the thing. I think we are win/win.

We either go up, or macca has a proper full transfer window and we improve further.

Disagree to be honest. I think we'll struggle to hold onto Hughes, Bryson and possibly Martin if we don't go up this season. Plus we'll lose Wisdom and Bamford at the end of their loan deals, and theres little chance that they'll want to drop down to the championship again to prove themselves, as they've already done that this season. 

Granted we'll get some sizeable fees in if we were to sell the three mentioned above but, losing Hughes, Bryson and Martin is the hub of the team and it would mean creating a whole new game plan. This would take time to embed.

I reckon its more of a win/draw ... next season could go either way if we don't go up

Disagree to be honest. I think we'll struggle to hold onto Hughes, Bryson and possibly Martin if we don't go up this season. Plus we'll lose Wisdom and Bamford at the end of their loan deals, and theres little chance that they'll want to drop down to the championship again to prove themselves, as they've already done that this season.

Granted we'll get some sizeable fees in if we were to sell the three mentioned above but, losing Hughes, Bryson and Martin is the hub of the team and it would mean creating a whole new game plan. This would take time to embed.

I reckon its more of a win/draw ... next season could go either way if we don't go up

Don't see that.

Hughes yes. But for a sizable fee that will help improve the squad in other areas.

Why would be lose Bryson and Martin? Neither will be on PL radars imo, and after just missing out on promotion, few teams in the championship will be considered in better shape than ourselves.

As for Bamford. Great moments of individual ability, but we were 4th when he arrived. He hasn't been the catalyst for our league position single handedly.

Same for Wisdom. Very talented player with great strength. But lacking in other areas imo. Not a player to build a side around.

I would take a large fee for Hughes, buy 2 or 3 quality players with that fee, add another couple from Yanks investment, couple more loans... boom.

Don't see that.

Hughes yes. But for a sizable fee that will help improve the squad in other areas.

Why would be lose Bryson and Martin? Neither will be on PL radars imo, and after just missing out on promotion, few teams in the championship will be considered in better shape than ourselves.

As for Bamford. Great moments of individual ability, but we were 4th when he arrived. He hasn't been the catalyst for our league position single handedly.

Same for Wisdom. Very talented player with great strength. But lacking in other areas imo. Not a player to build a side around.

I would take a large fee for Hughes, buy 2 or 3 quality players with that fee, add another couple from Americans investment, couple more loans... boom.

I don't see why Martin and Bryson wouldn't be on EPL clubs radars... Martin has contributed to 20 goals this season (14 goals and 6 assists) while Bryson has contributed 20 too (12 goals and 8 assists). Plus, they aren't old players and could quite possibly improve further.

Bamford has single handedly won us at least 4 more points than we would have had without him (Sheff Wed and Brighton) so yes, I would say he has been a catalyst --> without him we would not be in 3rd or even fourth and would probably have Reading snapping on our heels in 6th.

Before the last couple of games, Wisdom has been revered and when watching him he seems one of the most composed and talented player in the sides. What other right backs in the league could replace him?

I agree that we could get a huge fee and buy a number of quality players, but its not 100% that we will be able to build a team around them as we have with Hughes, Bryson and Martin. And if we did, it would still take time to do so.

It all boils down to whether we can keep hold of the core three in the centre. I see us not doing aswell next season without them...

Too many unknowns, maza233.

There's no point even in speculating at this stage. Give it another 10 games and then, perhaps, we'll have some idea of how close we might be to the playoffs (or even automatic promotion) but with a third of the season to go, there's no reason to do anything apart from to enjoy the ride.

As far as Bryson is concerned, there was so much garbage spoken about this supposed 'Celtic are going to trigger a £750k release clause' nonsense which turned out to be complete and utter bilge. Martin's been to the 'big show' before - and it didn't work. As far as Hughes is concerned, I reckon that he's still to young to be really on the radar of any 'big' clubs, at least as far as establishing himself as anything other than a bench-warmer and occasional cup match starter, so even if he was sold, I'd wager 50p on a season loan-back

Wasn't MacLarens brief to get us in the prem next season. Obviously, with the run of form we've had, we're ahead of the plan. I think Schteve is giving out signals to that effect.

He's in an enviable position because if we DO go up, everyone will say "Christ Schteve, you're a miracle worker!"

If we fail, they'll say "Christ Schteve, you're a miracle worker! You'll do it next time, for sure"

When I say everyone, I exclude John Hartson of course.

All this "It's nice, but we're not as experienced as the other contenders" stuff is actually deliberately playing down expectations, including, and especially, the players, keeping them relaxed. I can imagine the Leicester and Forest players are getting edgy at this point in the season.

9 wins = 85 points in total and promotion.

Florist I know reckons Billy has called it that they need 10 wins from 15 to go up. That would mean we need 9 like you say (assuming GD works out for us). With a winnable looking home programme I don't think it's beyond us.

All changes week to week though. Win one and you're looking good, lose one and it starts to look a longer shot. Especially with 4 teams in the mix. Exciting times.

Archived