Derby County v Chelsea

Day

I saw what I wanted to from Derby, and what I expected of Chelsea.

We could have parked the bus, and tried to soak the pressure up but we didn't, we played attacking football and did enough to put them on the back foot, a few times at least.

Grant was good, Forsyth was first rate, Buxton was first rate, Keane was good, Wisdom was very good, Eustace was good, Hendrick was good, Hughes was okay, Ward below-par, Dawkins was good and Martin was very good.

Bennett was first rate when he came on, Sammon was very good and so was Bailey.

All in all, it was a good performance and I don't have too much to grumble about!

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For me we out played them large parts of the game and ref gave them 2nd by passing the ball to the player booked our players did nrothing about there players.

Just quoting this as it made me laugh out loud.

Any game this season b4 where the opposition were the better team?

Btsport showed a stat of 86% to 14% at the end of the first half - but that was for the preceding 5 minutes when Chelsea had 2 corners, a free kick and the ball went out three times.

Thanks.

You'll probably find that the stats for the last 5 minutes of the second half would have been about 90:10 in our favour.

I prefer my stats from the Football League itself, not some media internet streaming company.

So, it's first half 45 derby, 55 Chelsea.

Fact!

Well good for you, Boycie.

Fukt.

My two penneth worth.

I though we were disappointing overall. This nonsense I'm reading about feeling proud. Why?

We didn't play particularly well and never looked a threat until the game was over in the final 5 minutes. We sat back and set our stall out to frustrate and hopefully catch them on the break. That's fair enough as a tactic but it does require your midfield to be at it and unfortunately for us, Hughes was largely anonymous, Dawkins was a passenger and Hendrick a little out of his depth.

It doesn't surprise me on here to see so many slagging off Ward as per usual but ironically, he was one of the few Derby players that looked as if he wanted to take on Chelsea.

Our defence was good. Forsyth in particular looked good in possession though Grant's regular inability to find a white shirt when distributing the ball was frustrating.

Martin had a decent game. A proper hold up forward.

All in all it was a frustrating watch. I watched Blackburn take on Man City the previous day and was really hoping that Derby went into this game with the same belief and zest. Unfortunately that wasn't the case.

The game if truth be told I thought was like a throwback to 'that' premiership season when we went into each game hanging on for dear life and hoping to catch a lucky goal on the break.

What this game will surely do will put to bed those that feel Hughes will move on for any fee close to the 10M mark. I would doubt many clubs would be willing to part with 4M for his services at present. You can protect/defend him all you like but he looks a pale imitation of the player that was running rings around the Championship a season ago.

Archived