Derby County v Chelsea

Day

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought we were terrific. Nervous at times but good.

But i expected a 5-0 thrashing and tbh 1-0 would have been fair.

Our team cost 1.05m.

Their subs cost £80m

But we coped with them pretty well.

I thought hendrick was great to begin with but faded.

It was great to see bailey back.....and he did well.....like a new signing.

Bennett was a surprise....gave us a huge boost.

Hughes should realise now why we are his best option.

Keane was very nervous but played well overall.

Martin played well.

The referee seemed to give them several decisions which were unwarranted.

But all in all......i was proud of how we played.

watching Sammon hold two of the best defenders in the country off, one on each arm and then turn between them both was the highlight of the match for me. 

Cahill looked frightened to death of him.

i wasnt too impressed with their back 4, martin seemed to be able to hold up the ball with ease against them. And as for cashley cole, he was an embarrassment. 

Ok, I"m going to buck the trend a bit. Not to criticise the way we played, because we tried our hardest. But in my opinion Chelsea played within themselves for a large part of the game, stepped it up for 20 minutes and frankly ran us ragged, scored twice and could have had more, then saw the game out reasonably comfortably. 

I never got the feeling at any stage we could pull off an upset, and for people to suggest we outplayed them or that the ref somehow gave them a goal with his interception is rubbish. In terms of the second goal, I've just seen it and I'm afraid Granty made a hash of it. I thought at the time it took a nick off Bucko but it just swerved past Grant. The gulf in quality was so great that I didn't feel excited or on the edge of my seat at any stage of the game.

There were some positive points - Forsyth was superb against Ramires and then Willian, both world class talents, and Hughes I thought played really well. Both Keane and Bucko played really well and it was a compliment that Chelsea felt the need to bring on Hazard and Torres.

So we didn't get thrashed in terms of the score, but defeat was always coming. I hope it doesn't affect our confidence or league form. 

absolute disgrace you never see any of our players trying to win a free kick from nothing.....

Don't like it when Martin does it either, no need.

The best I ever saw was from Wardy, an oscar winner that was.

Grant 6 

Wisdom 7

Buxton 8

Keane 7

Forsyth 7

Eustace 8

Hendrick 7

Hughes 6

Ward 4

Martin 7

Dawkins 6

Subs 

Bennett 7

Sammon 7

Bailey 7

Positives

Defensively we were pretty resolute.

Passed the ball well in periods

Buxton was superb imo

We gave a good account of ourselves, and din't get humiliated.

Bailey being back in the first team

Negatives

Ward

Set pieces

Hughes seems to have lost his spark (been happening for a good few weeks now)

Bennett looked very bright when he came on

All in all a good day out!

Bring on Leicester!

If Chelsea were so comfortable and the gulf was so great, then why on earth did they have to bring on Hazard and Torres? And I didn't say that Chelsea were gifted a goal by the referee - I said that they should not have been in possession of the ball to win the throw-in deep in our territory at that time. It's not to say that they wouldn't have scored a second, so why was my comment 'rubbish'?

Grant 6 

Wisdom 7

Buxton 8

Keane 7

Forsyth 7

Eustace 8

Hendrick 7

Hughes 6

Ward 4

Martin 7

Dawkins 6

Subs 

Bennett 7

Sammon 7

Bailey 7

Positives

Defensively we were pretty resolute.

Passed the ball well in periods

Buxton was superb imo

We gave a good account of ourselves, and din't get humiliated.

Bailey being back in the first team

Negatives

Ward

Set pieces

Hughes seems to have lost his spark (been happening for a good few weeks now)

Bennett looked very bright when he came on

All in all a good day out!

Bring on Leicester!

I'm wondering why that's in the list of negatives RBC?

Anyone else think it was Keane's fault for the first? I know it's a cracking ball in but Keane let him go.

Did very well today.

Apart from his dive I thought Ramires was class today. Will.i.an is awesome as well.

Our subs were terrific and certainly had a big impact on the game, especially Bennett.

Hughes played well 2nd half.

Ward and Dawkins poor. 

No point picking it to death. The gulf in funding and hence quality is too much to compare them on an equal footing.

We gave a good account of ourselves, enjoyed the day (how great to see the ground full again?) and we can get back to the league in good heart.

I don't really see what was bad about Hughes today. What he excels at is being an option and keeping things ticking over, I think we have just gotten used to it.

What we did really well in the first half was be disciplined and stay on our feet, yes it gave them plenty of possession but it did not give them clear chances. And we created a few of our own chances.

At least through my booze induced spectacles anyway.

Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho was full of praise for Steve McClaren’s Derby County side after their hard-fought win at the iPro Stadium this afternoon.

Mourinho’s selection demonstrated a great deal of respect for Derby, as he named an array of world class talent to take on the Rams in their FA Cup Third Round tie.

Despite the loss, the Rams put in a performance to be proud of and refused to be overawed or outplayed by the West London outfit. 

After the match, the Portuguese coach was keen to emphasise how well he thought the Rams had performed, and how his team selection reflected just how highly he thought of his opponents.

Mourinho told chelseafc.com:“The game was difficult, but we got the job done against a good Championship team. 

“The players respected their opponent; they played seriously from minute one. We didn't need a second game.

“In the first-half we played quite well, we were not far from scoring but it was still 0-0 at half-time and that is a big risk, because after that if the opponent scores you are in trouble.”

With eight wins from their last ten games in the League, Derby sit fourth in the table and have become serious promotion candidates since Head Coach, Steve McClaren, returned to the club.

And when asked what he thought of the Rams’ promotions credentials under the former England boss, Mourinho said he thought Derby showed huge potential.

He added: “I’m not an expert in the League, but what I know is that he [McClaren] is doing a very good job and they are going well in the League.

“The team is already in a quite comfortable play-off position and it’s because they have a good side and they can fight for promotion.”

In the dying moments of the game, the Chelsea boss and the Rams’ Head Coach shared a word on the touchline and Mourinho explained what he said to his opposite number.

He said: “I wished Steve the best for the rest of the season in the Championship.

“He is doing a very good job, improving the side a lot, they have a good side and they can fight for promotion. I hope next season I can come here not in the Cup, but in the Premier League.”

PistoldPete2

Ok, I"m going to buck the trend a bit. Not to criticise the way we played, because we tried our hardest. But in my opinion Chelsea played within themselves for a large part of the game, stepped it up for 20 minutes and frankly ran us ragged, scored twice and could have had more, then saw the game out reasonably comfortably. 

I never got the feeling at any stage we could pull off an upset, and for people to suggest we outplayed them or that the ref somehow gave them a goal with his interception is rubbish. In terms of the second goal, I've just seen it and I'm afraid Granty made a hash of it. I thought at the time it took a nick off Bucko but it just swerved past Grant. The gulf in quality was so great that I didn't feel excited or on the edge of my seat at any stage of the game.

There were some positive points - Forsyth was superb against Ramires and then Willian, both world class talents, and Hughes I thought played really well. Both Keane and Bucko played really well and it was a compliment that Chelsea felt the need to bring on Hazard and Torres.

So we didn't get thrashed in terms of the score, but defeat was always coming. I hope it doesn't affect our confidence or league form. 

I think maybe Chelsea were always going to win as they had almost their best team out and we were missing Bryson.  And Chelsea deserved to win. But on another day with a bit of luck we could have nicked it. Not to be , move on...

Absolutely spot on!

No point picking it to death. The gulf in funding and hence quality is too much to compare them on an equal footing.

We gave a good account of ourselves, enjoyed the day (how great to see the ground full again?) and we can get back to the league in good heart.

I can't understand what more people want from Hughes.

Never flaps. Never plays anyone in the *****. Tried to settle Derby.

Him and Hendrick and Eustace I thought did really well. They tried to get us playing but unfortunately it wasn't Dawkins or Ward's day and to often they were strangled by Chelsea's 5 midfielders.

The 4231 was too much for us. The 3 pressed us so much and it was only down to 4 players that we managed to play any football in the first half.

It was a crowded midfield of top players and yet Hughes upstaged Essien and Mikel imo. Of course you have to take into account how much help from great players Essien and Mikel had to say that. I just thought that had you swapped Essien for Hughes he'd have done little more for us.

Oscar and Ramires and Willian I thought were class first half. They gave Chelsea the edge to be the better side in the first 45.

Second half was much the same but after the goal when Chelsea's 3 retreated a bit deeper I thought Hughes and Hendrick did all they could. The rest of the team got going a bit and we looked good.

Eustace tired and they were scary on the counter attack but Hughes I thought remained our calm and most influential player.

Genuinely don't understand what's expected of him. At his age. In a team that never has the odds firmly in its favour.

If Hughes was against us today he'd have bossed it. We haven't surrounded him with great players. We've got freebies and local lads and youngsters and loanees around him.

Archived