Derby County v Chelsea

Day

Jake Humphrey: "That was shooting practice at times for Chelsea, wasn't it?"

Neil Warnock: "The game was lost on a free-kick"

Well which is it!? Did they outclass us, or did one moment decide it? Come on, I have absolutely no idea about what I just watched so I need the pundits to tell me, but they're telling me different things!

Nice to see Jake Humphrey knows as much about football as he does F1, he also said "cupset" at HT, please.

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Even though we're out it was a good finish to the game. Mason and Sammon made a big difference, nice to see Bailey get a few minutes as well, he did ok.

No shame in losing to Chelsea, we did alright. Just a bit of regret we never really looked like we were going after them until we were already 2 down.

Thought everybody did alright. Martin held it up lovely.

Subs should have been on 10mins sooner. Oh well, at the end of the day they have a bottomless money pit and we don't. Pleased Torres still missing that barn door and the ball hit Cashley in the face lol

We were good today and it's a testament to how we defended and kept our discipline that they could only unlock the door with a set piece. Bit silly from Ward to give it away but that's what you get with him, he was working hard to get back to make up for giving it away in the first place.

We had a few chances but couldn't quite carve out anything clear cut. It's a shame we can't get our set pieces right, poor delivery yet again. Don't think anyone had a poor game and the defence and midfield in particular put in an epic shift, they've come on leaps and bounds and hopefully that will put us in good stead against the top 6 in the Champ too.

Hopefully the lads aren't too down hearted and we can get back to winning ways at Leicester, that's a bigger game in the grand scheme of things. I hope we don't get into our shell and forget what we're best at, fast flowing, attacking football.

The comments from various media outlets don't surprise me, most of them don't know that football exists outside of the Champions League places.

Mark Lawrenson, at iPro Stadium for 5 live Sport

Derby County 0-2 Chelsea

"In the end the substitutions changed the game but ultimately the pace and quality of Chelsea was just too much for Derby. But County have massive potential, and Will Hughes has a long way to go but has massive ability."

Sitting in the hotel having a coffee. When is Bucko going to let Eto'o out of his pocket? Well played everyone - now beat the dippers next week.

The lads did well and can hold their heads up.

Deserved a goal to reward their efforts really. 

When they had the ball though it takes some getting back off them and ultimately can't moan about 2-0 as we only sporadically got any pressure on them until it was too late.

Ref was Premier League happy as usual.

Well which is it!? Did they outclass us, or did one moment decide it? Come on, I have absolutely no idea about what I just watched so I need the pundits to tell me, but they're telling me different things!

Have to say I agree with Warnock. Their second goal came after the ref intercepted one of our passes on a promising breakaway, Chelsea got a lucky deflection off him which led to their second.

So there you have it, I agree with Warnock.

Only complaint i have with us at the moment is that we need to beat the first man on corners. Thats not just been the problem today but most matches. I dont think Ward can kick the ball that far. Other than that were sorted. 

When Ward went off there was a delay in taking a corner. The reason being no-one knew who was supposed to take them. Highlighted a real issue. You should have at least 3 players wanting to take every corner and be good at them. When we get back to the training ground I want Paul to take 3 or 4 players to one side and work on corners until their feet bleed. 

He is a TV presenter. Nothing else. I wouldn't take anything he says about any sport seriously. 

Hendrick, Eustace and Hughes were class against Chelsea's midfield. Restricted them to long range shots for the majority of the game. Bennett was immense when he came on (probably due to Cole's tiredness) and Sammon and Bailey looked decent. Only criticisms would be the delivery from set pieces and we didn't have anyone in the box on a few occasions when Forsyth and Wisdom put crosses in

Archived