Derby County v Chelsea

Day

Thought we played well, very organized at the back. Some has criticized Ward and Dawkins, but I wouldn't. No weak links in our team yesterday. Biggest mistake was Grant's hoovering in their second goal.

Eventhough possession we're pretty even, they had ball in better areas. Good team that Chelsea, all they are lacking is world class striker. Etoo and Torres surely ain't same players they used to be.

Next game is bigger one, hopefully we can keep going. Interesting to see who will make way to Bryson, all midfielders succeeded.

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My two penneth worth.

I though we were disappointing overall. This nonsense I'm reading about feeling proud. Why?

We didn't play particularly well and never looked a threat until the game was over in the final 5 minutes. We sat back and set our stall out to frustrate and hopefully catch them on the break. That's fair enough as a tactic but it does require your midfield to be at it and unfortunately for us, Hughes was largely anonymous, Dawkins was a passenger and Hendrick a little out of his depth.

It doesn't surprise me on here to see so many slagging off Ward as per usual but ironically, he was one of the few Derby players that looked as if he wanted to take on Chelsea.

Our defence was good. Forsyth in particular looked good in possession though Grant's regular inability to find a white shirt when distributing the ball was frustrating.

Martin had a decent game. A proper hold up forward.

All in all it was a frustrating watch. I watched Blackburn take on Man City the previous day and was really hoping that Derby went into this game with the same belief and zest. Unfortunately that wasn't the case.

The game if truth be told I thought was like a throwback to 'that' premiership season when we went into each game hanging on for dear life and hoping to catch a lucky goal on the break.

What this game will surely do will put to bed those that feel Hughes will move on for any fee close to the 10M mark. I would doubt many clubs would be willing to part with 4M for his services at present. You can protect/defend him all you like but he looks a pale imitation of the player that was running rings around the Championship a season ago.

.....a long long long way away.

Cut out your little boy bullying tactics now NutRam.

You have something to say about my post then add it but please cut the BS.

Bullying?

Just commenting.

PistoldPete2

My two penneth worth.

I though we were disappointing overall. This nonsense I'm reading about feeling proud. Why?

We didn't play particularly well and never looked a threat until the game was over in the final 5 minutes. We sat back and set our stall out to frustrate and hopefully catch them on the break. That's fair enough as a tactic but it does require your midfield to be at it and unfortunately for us, Hughes was largely anonymous, Dawkins was a passenger and Hendrick a little out of his depth.

It doesn't surprise me on here to see so many slagging off Ward as per usual but ironically, he was one of the few Derby players that looked as if he wanted to take on Chelsea.

Our defence was good. Forsyth in particular looked good in possession though Grant's regular inability to find a white shirt when distributing the ball was frustrating.

Martin had a decent game. A proper hold up forward.

All in all it was a frustrating watch. I watched Blackburn take on Man City the previous day and was really hoping that Derby went into this game with the same belief and zest. Unfortunately that wasn't the case.

The game if truth be told I thought was like a throwback to 'that' premiership season when we went into each game hanging on for dear life and hoping to catch a lucky goal on the break.

What this game will surely do will put to bed those that feel Hughes will move on for any fee close to the 10M mark. I would doubt many clubs would be willing to part with 4M for his services at present. You can protect/defend him all you like but he looks a pale imitation of the player that was running rings around the Championship a season ago.

I think its fair to compare with "that" season when we lost 2-0 at home to Chelsea also in 2007-08. That was one of our better performances that year IMO.  Fact is all the top Championship teams lost to premier opposition in the Cup except for Forest who were playing West Ham reserves. All the promoted Championship teams will need to improve a lot if they are to survive in the Premier , leave alone playing against Champions League and World Cup winners. We played at least respectably well.

I was trying not to make any comparison with the 07/08 season for the reason that yesterday was a little too much of a reminder, especially that shrug of the shoulders 'well that was predicatable' feeling at the end of the game.

If we were a league 2 side that performance would have deserved all the pride and shouting from the rooftops it got. Fact is we aim to be in the same league as Chelsea next season.

Mcsilks point about Blackburn and Man City was a good one, they had a real go at them. We either didn't or couldn't. Not sure which.

Cut out your little boy bullying tactics now NutRam.

You have something to say about my post then add it but please cut the BS.

Why is RamNut's reply 'little boy bullying tactics' but your altering the poster's name to whom you are replying not at least as much bullying, McClit?

:p

Why is RamNut's reply 'little boy bullying tactics' but your altering the poster's name to whom you are replying not at least as much bullying, McClit?

:p

Because I am attempting to bully the bully.

I merely changed his name around. What you have done is altered my username. That's fighting talk :angry:  :D

Because I am attempting to bully the bully.

I merely changed his name around. What you have done is altered my username. That's fighting talk :angry:  :D

'mcsilks' doesn't give me a lot to go on with really. Can't you change it to one with more vowels?

Towards the end of the game in an effort to get a goal, we switched to what looked like a 4-2-3-1 formation

Hughes-Hendrick

Bennett-Dawkins-Sammon

Martin

Seemed to work pretty well and allowed for extra support to get to martin quicker, when Bailey came on for Dawkins he dropped in to cm and pushed Hughes up

I think the main thing we've learnt from this is that Admins/Mods and any other self important jobsworths should not be allowed to start matchday threads.

Power to the people.

Bring back Sage etc...

your turn next..

:lol:

Thought we did pretty well - it was always going to be a case of stemming the flow and taking our chances when they came about - we did have some great opportunities and a goal wouldn't have been unfair on us, but Chelsea could have had 5 or 6.

Martin gave one of the best forward displays I've seen at PP in years - his hold up play against Cahill and Luiz was, no exaggeration (IMO), world class. You look at where those two CBs are, and the way their career is going, and he matched them. Was a real handful. He backed himself too. He shouted at someone (I think it was Forsyth) for playing it long instead of into his chest. He wants it there all the time.

I was really impressed with Buxton, particularly in the first half. He did himself proud with the armband. Was domminant in the air against Eto'o. Hendrick had a good'un as well. Looks like the player we've seen in recent years when he's been in good form. Consistency is his problem but he should be brimming with confidence after yesterday.

Was disappointed with Hughes - though he had a stinker. Perhaps they did a number on him, but I can't remember him doing much at all.

We were a bit too nervy when it went in to the final third and that's what cost us a goal. A bit more composure, players in the right position (someone else hitting that shot from Eustace, for example) and we could've had one to our name.

Only real negative was the first goal - once again, conceding from a set piece. When you're up against a team like that you can live with wonder strikes or 30 pass moves, but all professionals should be equals when it comes to corners and free kicks. Poor defending again.

Whilst watching it I was thinking about the changes in personnel that could have won us the game - a winger with genuine pace and a striker with some pace and a good finish and it could have been slightly different. Perhaps, if we were to go up, we wouldn't need to change too much around...

In some ways I'm pleased it happened. We have a season defining fortnight which could see us back in the automatic spots, or out of the top six. We now have one focus, and 3 1/2 weeks to improve the squad. Over to you, Steve...

Archived