Derby County v Chelsea

Day

PistoldPete2

Thought we did pretty well - it was always going to be a case of stemming the flow and taking our chances when they came about - we did have some great opportunities and a goal wouldn't have been unfair on us, but Chelsea could have had 5 or 6.

Martin gave one of the best forward displays I've seen at PP in years - his hold up play against Cahill and Luiz was, no exaggeration (IMO), world class. You look at where those two CBs are, and the way their career is going, and he matched them. Was a real handful. He backed himself too. He shouted at someone (I think it was Forsyth) for playing it long instead of into his chest. He wants it there all the time.

I was really impressed with Buxton, particularly in the first half. He did himself proud with the armband. Was domminant in the air against Eto'o. Hendrick had a good'un as well. Looks like the player we've seen in recent years when he's been in good form. Consistency is his problem but he should be brimming with confidence after yesterday.

Was disappointed with Hughes - though he had a stinker. Perhaps they did a number on him, but I can't remember him doing much at all.

We were a bit too nervy when it went in to the final third and that's what cost us a goal. A bit more composure, players in the right position (someone else hitting that shot from Eustace, for example) and we could've had one to our name.

Only real negative was the first goal - once again, conceding from a set piece. When you're up against a team like that you can live with wonder strikes or 30 pass moves, but all professionals should be equals when it comes to corners and free kicks. Poor defending again.

Whilst watching it I was thinking about the changes in personnel that could have won us the game - a winger with genuine pace and a striker with some pace and a good finish and it could have been slightly different. Perhaps, if we were to go up, we wouldn't need to change too much around...

In some ways I'm pleased it happened. We have a season defining fortnight which could see us back in the automatic spots, or out of the top six. We now have one focus, and 3 1/2 weeks to improve the squad. Over to you, Steve...

I think if you add Bryson , Russell and Bamford to those on duty on Sunday and we aint far short of a promotion team.  We need strength in depth in case of injuries .

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In all honesty...

Don't call me crazy.. but, for me this certainly raised a few eyebrows of the Premier League... capabilities, let's say of some of our players.

Jake Buxton, okay, a fresh legged Torres tormented him but he made Eto'o look League One standard.

Craig Forsyth, absolutely back pocketed one of my favourite Premier League players - the peak of his improvement, also put in a few good balls that could have seen us score.

and Martin was first rate, but his ability has never been in question - just his mobility.

Other end of the spectrum - Ward is a very effective Championship players, but better defenders can read him. Hughes looked scared stiff to do anything wrong, wrong attitude.

I think if you add Bryson , Russell and Bamford to those on duty on Sunday and we aint far short of a promotion team.  We need strength in depth in case of injuries .

I think we need better players, we need half a team for the prem or stronger for next in the Champoionship,so we dont need to add 8/9 which doesn't seem to work.... so i hope we add one or two in key positions, for me, we need a 'creative' midfielder .Adnan Januzaj e.g...(for when we need to unlock teams like Hudders/fester etc), and a winger Jordan Ibe ..(for obvious reasons), its a 'wish list' ,  and cover/competition for Forsythe ... in Mac we trust 

I don't understand the self-flagellaion of some of our fans. We played the second best team in England, with a team with around a thouzand caps, whose wages are ten or twenty times that of our plahers and we gave them a game. A real good game.

What did people expect, wave after wave of Derby atfacks? We defended and attacked as a team. Our full backs got 3 or 4 crosses in each. More attacking than their full backs.

Our taking free kicks and corners were poor. Beyond that we were excellent.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lupiD9xa3O4&feature=youtu.be

Apologies if already posted but I love this video.  It seems Mac is held in high regard by some of his England players and by Jose.

One question, who is the dodgy looking geezer in the trilby and scarf greeting all the Chelsea players?

Does Steve McClaren start speaking to Jose in one of his many languages at one point! Talk about making your hosts feel as comfortable as they like. I'd have led them straight through the away dressing room, out the fire exit and pointed at an empty plant pot at best for them to get changed in!

The crook in the hat and scarf welcoming the spivs in, is one of the nasty geezers out of Charlie & The Chocolate Factory, surely!

I don't understand the self-flagellaion of some of our fans. We played the second best team in England, with a team with around a thouzand caps, whose wages are ten or twenty times that of our plahers and we gave them a game. A real good game.

What did people expect, wave after wave of Derby atfacks? We defended and attacked as a team. Our full backs got 3 or 4 crosses in each. More attacking than their full backs.

Our taking free kicks and corners were poor. Beyond that we were excellent.

Exactly.

I don't buy the Blackburn/City game as an example.

If Chelsea turned up as poorly as City did at Ewood Park, we would have given them a similar game.

Also - and I'm surprised no one has raised this point - Blackburn are 10th in the Championship, and that was their biggest match of the season for them. And they're going to get pummeled in the replay.

The players were obviously pumped for the Chelsea match, but I can guarantee you not a single Blackburn player has given a second thought to their next Championship opponent leading up to the City match, whereas I bet the whole Derby squad has kept an eye looking forward to the Leicester match.

Leicester clearly weren't bothered about the Cup - they rested several players against Stoke. They're taking us seriously.

I think it caused us to miss an extra 5% of confidence and effort that most of the teams in the Championship may have magically found for a one-off game.

Exactly.

I don't buy the Blackburn/City game as an example.

If Chelsea turned up as poorly as City did at Ewood Park, we would have given them a similar game.

Also - and I'm surprised no one has raised this point - Blackburn are 10th in the Championship, and that was their biggest match of the season for them. And they're going to get pummeled in the replay.

The players were obviously pumped for the Chelsea match, but I can guarantee you not a single Blackburn player has given a second thought to their next Championship opponent leading up to the City match, whereas I bet the whole Derby squad has kept an eye looking forward to the Leicester match.

Leicester clearly weren't bothered about the Cup - they rested several players against Stoke. They're taking us seriously.

I think it caused us to miss an extra 5% of confidence and effort that most of the teams in the Championship may have magically found for a one-off game.

They rested Moore and Morgan with Nugent coming off the bench. That is it. Hardly a bit change.

Sorry lads, had to check on the chelsea forum to see what they thought of us and to be honest I was disgusted! I found many posts saying our support was awful, I thought we got behind the lads, even when we went down we stuck by our team and got pride park rocking. All I can say to chelsea fans is that i'm proud to support my local team! Bloody glory supporting rent boys...

Chelsea are a nothing club, they used to struggle to get 10000 home gates when I started watching.

Abramovich clears off and they don't get another sugar daddy and they'll be nowhere again in 18 months.

Sorry lads, had to check on the chelsea forum to see what they thought of us and to be honest I was disgusted! I found many posts saying our support was awful, I thought we got behind the lads, even when we went down we stuck by our team and got pride park rocking. All I can say to chelsea fans is that i'm proud to support my local team! Bloody glory supporting rent boys...

Really?! I thought the atmosphere was amazing. It certainly sounded that way from where I was sat! :o

Edit - Just had a quick read and it's confirmed my suspicions. Most comments which said this gave the impression they were watching on TV or listening on the radio. These glory supporters don't know ****.

Archived