Derby County v Chelsea

Day

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Eustace MOM for me, think he played very well. Thought Hendrick and to a lesser extent Hughes were rabbits caught in headlights today

PistoldPete2

BBC Sport stats saying:

we had 16 shots and they had 17

we had 4 on target they had 3

Posseion was 48-52

Lads can hold their heads up high today

Yes respectable performance and result. Thought we deserved a goal especially in last 10 mins.

Considering we were missing our player of season so far we did very well. Think if we had had Bryson, Russell and Bamford available we would have got  a goal. Maybe could have brought subs on earlier cos Sammon and Bennett looked lively which is what you need in a Cup tie.  

We were very good today, against a championship team we win. For the first 65 minutes we were great defensivley and it took a set piece for the first and something happened for the second, not sure if it was a dodgy deflection or dodgy keeping?

Bucko MOTM, Ward couldnt looked less bothered and gave away a stupid foul. 

Hendrick was the best CM in the first half, Hughes did well but struggled with the pace of the game.

Sammon was great when he came on, polar opposite of ward. He wanted the ball and fought for it constantly, Bennett was all over Cole in the last 10 mins and probably could have scored. Nice to see Bailey back and all.

Deserved a goal against much better opposition.

Good performance, felt we showed we could play good football against top opposition and showed that a lot of our players wouldn't be too out of place at the top level. Martin, Hughes, Bennett (in particular) and (at times) Forsyth looked at home, kept on playing their stuff regardless and were unlucky not to score/put in a killer ball. Ward played okay, amazing how much better he is when he's interested.

Bucko. Will be thoroughly shocked if the man isn't on the plane to Brazil this summer.

Subs played well, nice to see JBails back and Sammon's enthusiasm was refreshing. Bennett had a blinder, left Cole for dead upon occasion and could have sworn his shot was creeping in.

There were points where we could have changed the game, Ward/Eustace's opportunities in the first half but overall we deserved to lose. I felt sometimes we gave them a bit too much respect and the real difference wasn't as much on what they did with the ball but what they did without it, seemed quicker to all the second balls and more aware of space. Pressurised well and read some of our moves, making us look naive.

Onto Leicester away, historically a happy affair *sobs and slams head on keyboard*

Why are we crap at set pieces? Am I right in thinking we've only scored two free kicks all season, out of our hundreds of goals. And Ward's was a fairly spawn deflection. Just seeing Huddersfield's free kick that was scored yesterday, to put them back in the game. That was sublime. You get the feeling our guys, as good as they are, could try that all day and not get anywhere near a goal. And it's such a waste of a great opportunity. Certainly in games like these, against stronger opposition, you've got to make better use of those opportunities.

Not bashing at all, we were magnificent in defeat. But this seems like something we seriously need to work on. Ward continues to step up for every free kick despite wasting every single fecking one. I can't believe not a single player out of Hughes, Bryson or Hendrick don't have the ability to be able to take that responsibility away from him. Is Bamford any good at a set piece?

I have no argument with Chelsea winning that game, even though the scoreline flattered them a little. The first goal was from a real quality cross (we only produced one ball in like that - the one where Jamie just failed to get a touch during the first half), and the second one - well, basically Chelsea were lucky to have possession presented to them after the referee produced a brilliant interception in midfield to send them forward.

Was a bit disappointed with Hughes, he was non existant first half, barely had a touch.

Started to show what he was about after there second went in when they gave him more time on the ball.

Not as impressed as others with our performance. We f*cked up some good situations first half and then done nothing second half until they were 2 up. 

Martin was class in what was quite a poor game I thought. 

Why are we crap at set pieces? Am I right in thinking we've only scored two free kicks all season, out of our hundreds of goals. And Ward's was a fairly spawn deflection. Just seeing Huddersfield's free kick that was scored yesterday, to put them back in the game. That was sublime. You get the feeling our guys, as good as they are, could try that all day and not get anywhere near a goal. And it's such a waste of a great opportunity. Certainly in games like these, against stronger opposition, you've got to make better use of those opportunities.

Not bashing at all, we were magnificent in defeat. But this seems like something we seriously need to work on. Ward continues to step up for every free kick despite wasting every single fecking one. I can't believe not a single player out of Hughes, Bryson or Hendrick don't have the ability to be able to take that responsibility away from him. Is Bamford any good at a set pieces ?

I said the same thing, and its my major criticism about our play in the last few months, we have had numerous set pieces in great positions and i would love Albert to do a graph on how many have resulted in anything ? Same with corners..

If Mac needs one thing to change for 2014 its that !

For me, sorry but Wardy isnt worth keeping going forward into 2014 and beyond, for all the reasons already mentioned by others.

I said the same thing, and its my major criticism about our play in the last few months, we have had numerous set pieces in great positions and i would love Albert to do a graph on how many have resulted in anything ? Same with corners..

If Mac needs one thing to change for 2014 its that !

For me, sorry but Wardy isnt worth keeping, for all the reasons already mentioned by others.

Mind you, with the amount of goals we've scored, imagine how many we'd have scored if we didn't waste so many free kicks and corners (not to mention penalties). We'd be on about 100 goals by now. In the grand scheme of things, it seems quite a simple thing to change as well.

Archived