Steve McClaren

Day

I do hope if we make the PL sometimes soon under The Mac there's a few Derby fans tapping these chaps on the shoulder to ask for an updated opinion.

'Not with Derby'

What's his record with Derby?

Where did Derby finish last year?

As a neutral I wouldn't rule Derby out of anything. I'd wait a while and see more results because the early indications wouldn't lead me to be so dismissive.

And Savage just loves Nige because he saved his career for a few years. At the end of the day Savage eyesight doesn't take in anything that doesn't boost his ego.

Imagine their shock when a small time club like Swansea got promoted. Snuck under the radar didnt they? Now look at them. Talk like they saw it coming. I think not lads. They only got credit when they played the best league in the world off the park.

Pundits are attracted to big names like a baby to lights. Shame it's a team game.

Noticed they've finally stopped dismissing Bayern Munich now. Welcome Bayern Munich to 'the club'. Now the world had 23 teams instead of 22.

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

McClaren is a gentleman, with morals, he shows it in the way he continually gives praise to the former manager, even though he has  been in charge for 10 games now.Well done sir.

Couldn't agree more. He's had a great start and I hope he keeps it up. I won't be after his head if we go on a losing run either. I hope others will feel the same way.

McClaren is a gentleman, with morals, he shows it in the way he continually gives praise to the former manager, even though he has  been in charge for 10 games now.

Well done sir.

I know this sounds a bit fairy, but I wonder if it's because he's surprised at how easy they all are to work with? I mean, as far as we know, they're all nice lads, very down to earth and humble, feel lucky to be at Derby and they play for the shirt week in week out. 

They're all pretty talented, not massively but they certainly make up for it in what Cloughie would call, heart, honesty and endeavour :lol:  

Can't be that hard for him? He just has to keep telling them what he wants them to do and they'll do it... meaning we get our moneys worth and enjoy watching Derby. 

A very good formula when you think about it and should we go up, The Mac would take the credit, Cloughie the praise... from me anyway. 

Good times at the moment, keep it up Derby!

I know this sounds a bit fairy, but I wonder if it's because he's surprised at how easy they all are to work with? I mean, as far as we know, they're all nice lads, very down to earth and humble, feel lucky to be at Derby and they play for the shirt week in week out

They're all pretty talented, not massively but they certainly make up for it in what Cloughie would call, heart, honesty and endeavour :lol:  

Can't be that hard for him? He just has to keep telling them what he wants them to do and they'll do it... meaning we get our moneys worth and enjoy watching Derby. 

A very good formula when you think about it and should we go up, The Mac would take the credit, Cloughie the praise... from me anyway. 

Good times at the moment, keep it up Derby!

For me that is something that Nigel Clough deserves massive praise for. It's a massive ask to find talented players who aren't somewhat arrogant, egotistical and self-centred. There of course needs to be a balance, but generally, if you can get them playing to 7/10 or better, with their temperament, you're on to something good.

Agree with the previous two posts completely.

The players seem to have a great togetherness, they all seem to get on, there's no egos and even the loanees have come in and gelled pretty instantly, that's a great sign. Clough does indeed deserve a lot of credit for this, it's not an easy thing to accomplish in the modern game and has allowed Mac to come in, feed off that enthusiasm and bring his own unique talents to the piece.

I think a blip is probably only around the corner but I hope that Mac and the side can have the strength of character to lift their heads and crack on when this run does come to an end.

Cloughie build the team, McC fine tuned it.  Personnally would have liked to have kept Nigel on as he could find the little gems, and with Mc being able to get quality loans in from the Prem, I think it would have worked very well.

Sad Nige went. Glad it was McC that came in.

Do people actually think the only difference between now and clough is we are tighter at the back?

We play with a different system, the players play with a totally different mentality, they don't look scared, they play with freedom and look to score goals and not scared to lose. We have added two very good players and organising the defence can't be that easy as clough couldn't do it in 5 years. Also when was the last time clough made a tactical substitution at half time?

Get over it he has gone and enjoy the excitement

Do people actually think the only difference between now and clough is we are tighter at the back?

We play with a different system, the players play with a totally different mentality, they don't look scared, they play with freedom and look to score goals and not scared to lose. We have added two very good players and organising the defence can't be that easy as clough couldn't do it in 5 years. Also when was the last time clough made a tactical substitution at half time?

Get over it he has gone and enjoy the excitement

Likewise

By pyschologist... i meant... growing the self confidence of the players, and having the mentality to go forward without the need for more numbers in defence, or trying to keep it in the corner with 6 whole minutes to go!

Heres two scenarios for you:

leicester away in the cup derby are leading, but leicester are coming back into it.

Nigel puts on an extra defender, draws the opposition onto us... not only do we concede an equaliser, but a winner for them too.

maccas in charge watford away, we have taken the lead twice to be pegged back twice at 2-2, whereas nigel would have tryed top protect his point and probably lost it.... macca brings on an extra forward in salmon, and we win 3-2 !

Archived