England v Germany

smiffy

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Garbage. 
some of the stuff I've just seen was embarrassing. 

how bad was the general play? simple passes that they over hit/misplaced. (anyone see that freekick from Kyle Walker? just kicked the ball out of play  :angry:)

Gerrard was shocking and has been for the past year or so
Sturridge was *****.
Did Henderson actually touch the ball?

Also, it was like the players were frightened to shoot. (apart from Townsend in the second half) 

I didn't watch it..

But I'm not suprised they lost..

England have one tactic.. Score first usually from a scrappy corner or set piece and then hold on for the rest of the game.. If that fails, go for a 0-0 like they did against Italy or Ukraine..

If the opposition score first and have an ability to either defend or hold onto the ball then it's curtains for England..

My take...

Hart is a world class keeper - looks very short of confidence and indecisive still though. 

Walker is an athlete, not incredibly brilliant with the ball.

Smalling just reminds me of Nyatanga.

Jagielka is the jake buxton of the national side - constantly good, distribution is usually good.

Cole was good, he is very good.

Gerrard played like a good defensive midfielder should.

Cleverley isn't good enough, there is better options than him to. 

Townsend again, is terrible decision maker - quality isn't that high either. He is a trier, he will not give up the gun.

Lallana, for me looked out of position - don't think he is quite good enough personally.

Sturridge is a good player, and will hopefully build a partnership with Rooney.

Rooney still our best player by a long way.

I want Terry back in the side - it's ludacris that our best centre back isn't playing for whatever reason, and put Cahill next to him (our best partnership) 

We're just not Germany - they're another level. 

I'm not sure what people expect, to be honest.

I thought England did ok for what they are - genuinely third rate.

It's only going to get worse. Young English players, already content to sit on their arses and collect huge salaries, now know that they are just a couple of first team appearances away from the national team. No need to improve, no need to go abroad to broaden experience. Just be a man utd employee.

Our only chance of winning a World Cup would be to employ a totally ruthless manager. Some one with no scruples about putting together a team rather than picking the "best" players.

We can't pass and retain possession like Chile did last week. its not how we play. We encourage the bigger, stronger, quicker kids to play percentage football all the way through kids and youth teams so why do we expect our national team to play differently.

Alf Ramsey knew that back in the 60's. He knew we couldn't outplay the "continentals" and the South Americans. He knew they cheated and dived and were dirty, sly basstards so he put Jack Charlton, and Nobby Stiles in the team and played to our strengths. If they were gonna dive anyway they might as well be in pain!

His decision to play Hurst instead of the far better Jimmy Greaves in the final was the decision of a tremendously strong and brave man. Greaves was the better player. Hurst was more likely to win you the game.

We had good, solid players in that 66 winning team, but only Gordon Banks, Bobby Moore and Bobby Charlton were world class, the rest were grafters.

As much as it pains me to say it, we'd probably have more chance of winning the World Cup if Tony Pulis had the job.

Just got back from the game. Shocking.

I can't bare watching Sturridge. Really don't get it.

He's been pretty good for Liverpool.. But then again he's massively helped by playing against weak PL defences

People should realise than the PL and England national team isn't linked in any form..

All of our players are the grafters for the PL sides and are probably only in it because they're English.. I mean you can't imagine someone like Man Utd buying Cleverly if he was a German playing for Schalke or you can't imagine Gerrard getting anywhere near the amount of attention that he does if he was Bulgarian..

The frightening thing is if any of our players were German who would Joachim Low call up? I doubt you could name 5

Indeed, we ar If we play like Stoke at least we'd have a particular style. Get four big guys to play at the back, 4 fast players in midfield to man-mark their midfield and press them when they've got the ball. A big target man upfront with probably Rooney as the one player who can make something happen but still works hard.

We are currently trying to keep it tight and score set pieces anyway. Might as well pick a team that can do that. Our main problem is we are not stuck in the dark ages enough. We are about as good as Stoke were before Pulis arrived, about 40-50th best team. If we had the balls to go dinosaur, we could be tenth with a chance of making a cup final.

I don't think we looked as bad as people think. There was some promising direct play going on but Germany defended really well. In the early stages Germany were pressing hard but England managed to keep the ball for the most part. I thought Sturridge made all the wrong decisions, his inter-play skills are all wrong and he doesn't link well with Rooney at all. They'll never make a good partnership. 

I find it interesting that what Germany criticise England football for, is what they've battered us with in the last two games. 'Kick and rush' football, or counter attacking football, direct play. Exactly what they criticise us for, and in turn what has made England so self deprecating over the course of the last 3 or 4 years.

Even when the younger players came on, I thought we still looked okay, didn't have a negative impact on how we were doing, just couldn't get the shot off which is so frustrating when you watch either England or Derby, although Derby are sorting that out now.

It was always going to be a difficult game regardless of who they put our in their starting 11 and I'm not at all surprised they scored from a header.

I also find Ballack and Lehman to be extremely arrogant, very punchable faces.

Pleased Gary Neville is involved in the set up, agreed with everything he said pre match.

What's up with Ballack and Lehman? I didn't watch it. They say owt in particular?

Lehman has always been a tw@. He's 'a personality' (a cnut)

A lot of Germans are quite arrogant in the media about their national side. I must admit those Polish players are rather good.

For some strange reason I watched The Ordinary Boys play live at Wembley last night.

After all these years I thought I might have learnt my lesson by now, but I still watch and keep the faith.

But The Ordinary Boys, Kieran Gibbs, Chris Smalling, Kyle Walker, Ross Barkley, Tom Cleverley,

Jordan Henderson, Adam Lallana and Daniel Sturridge. C’mon someone do us a favour!

The only plus was that James Milner didn’t feature again! I mean this guy has had 44 Caps for England!

44 Caps for England!

I wouldn’t want any of them playing for Derby County, I wouldn’t want any of them near a sticker book,

so how do this lot get in the national side, because if that’s the best we’ve got then hey I refuse to panic

Dad’s Army…….

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/25012476

I’m just a realist that knows it is not worth panicking about. If anything I’m much wiser, I know we are an Ordinary Team and we are Ordinary when it comes to national football. As for tournament football well I’ve seen it plenty of times in the past and unfortunately it’s going to be ordinary in the distant future, unless Danny Mills helps sort it out!

I watched a bit of the Norway v Scotland game before this one, hoping Craig Bryson would put on a display, before The Ordinary Boys, but still early days for Craig and International Football, well at least he got a jog round Norway.

Archived