England v Germany

smiffy

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not necessarily...

only the top English talent plays in the Premier League, with all the other international players that are also very good.

It will only drive competition upwards, and the best English players will be the ones who play week in week out - along side your Brazilians, Spaniards...etc  

If you're good enough, you will play IMO.. 

But how do they get to be good enough? As the percentage of foreign players rise, the opportunities for English players to play week-in week-out in the Premier League falls. Raw talent can only take you so far, top level experience is also needed.

You see someone in training day in day out, you'll get an idea... I think the foreign influx into the Premier League is used as a scapegoat for our own short-comings.

Otherwise you play football in the championship, if the talent rises in the premier league - it stands to reason it will in the championship, or they could go abroad of course.

I mean as proper strikers go, Sturridge is preferable to all but Gomez, Muller usually plays wide right doesn't he? but yeah, my point is they have a base of players that are world class.. we still have players that would crack their squad. 

they have 4 keepers in the top 20 in the world IMO (Adler, Neuer, Weidenfeller and Stegen)

Schmelzer, Hummels, Mertesacker, Boateng, Lahm are all top players..

Their midfield is the best in the world for me (sorry spain) I don't even know how they can fit them all in..

Ozil, Muller, Kroos, Reus, Schweinsteiger, Gotze, Gundogan and Khedira are all world class players.. 8 world class midfielders in one team, it's madness. 

upfront, meh... Gomez, Kruse, Klose and Podolski? make up their frontmen. 

The thing is buddy rarely do teams play with 'proper strikers' anymore.. The likes of Portugal, Germany and Spain can easily get away without playing a proper striker.. Muller isn't your typical number 9 but he's played through the middle alot for Bayern with Ribery and Robben outside of him and he can also play out on the flank..

The closest England have to a layer like this is Rooney.. All of our other strikers are just those that play down the middle, which is extremely easy now for top teams to defend against.

As for the midfield comparison.. Whilst Germany have worldclass midfielders Spain are still on another level to anyone else.. The 4 that Spain use in Iniesta, Xavi, Xabi Alonso and Busquets might not have the attacking quality of Germany but those 4 dominate the Germans and have done for the past 5 years through possession and interchange..

I'd definitely take Xavi, Xabi Alonso, Busquets, Fabregas, Iniesta, David Silva, Isco, Juan Mata, Jesus Navas, Pedro over Germany's 8 as Spain's lot offer alot more cover and are much better in possession which is handy for defensive tactics..

Whilst Khedira is a solid DM he lacks ball ability (brilliantly demonstrated by Atletico Madrid in the classico) and Schweinsteiger is their only other player that can play the breaking up role and even that's not his particular strength. Germany's midfield lacks balance and protection for their back 4.. Which has been beautifully exploited over the past 5 years.. All IMO of course.

You see someone in training day in day out, you'll get an idea... I think the foreign influx into the Premier League is used as a scapegoat for our own short-comings.

Otherwise you play football in the championship, if the talent rises in the premier league - it stands to reason it will in the championship, or they could go abroad of course.

I agree with you to an extent about our own shortcomings. There are issues with the coaching of young players in England that need to be addressed. Too much emphasis is put on strength and power at the expense of technique for example.

But as to your point about talent in the Premier raising talent in the Championship, I think that when an import takes a starting place in a Premier side, then the English player that has been displaced will either stagnate on the bench or drop down a division thus stifling young talent there.

As for players going overseas, well that's a strange one. Not sure why it should be the case, but our lads just don't seem to travel well.

So yes, I suppose in some ways the foreign influx is used as an excuse. But the fact remains that we have more foreign players at our top clubs than in most of Europe, and of the so called top footballing nations we are perennial under achievers.

Archived