England v Germany

smiffy

For some strange reason I watched The Ordinary Boys play live at Wembley last night.

After all these years I thought I might have learnt my lesson by now, but I still watch and keep the faith.

But The Ordinary Boys, Kieran Gibbs, Chris Smalling, Kyle Walker, Ross Barkley, Tom Cleverley,

Jordan Henderson, Adam Lallana and Daniel Sturridge. C’mon someone do us a favour!

The only plus was that James Milner didn’t feature again! I mean this guy has had 44 Caps for England!

44 Caps for England!

I wouldn’t want any of them playing for Derby County, I wouldn’t want any of them near a sticker book,

so how do this lot get in the national side, because if that’s the best we’ve got then hey I refuse to panic

Dad’s Army…….

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/25012476

I’m just a realist that knows it is not worth panicking about. If anything I’m much wiser, I know we are an Ordinary Team and we are Ordinary when it comes to national football. As for tournament football well I’ve seen it plenty of times in the past and unfortunately it’s going to be ordinary in the distant future, unless Danny Mills helps sort it out!

I watched a bit of the Norway v Scotland game before this one, hoping Craig Bryson would put on a display, before The Ordinary Boys, but still early days for Craig and International Football, well at least he got a jog round Norway.

It's very easy to single out this kind of player for criticism. People used to do it with the likes of Darryl Powell and even Geraint Williams for Derby. The likes of Milner and Carrick play a vital role in teams and you only notice them when they're missing. I think Milner is vastly under-rated and would turn Derby into a quality side if here.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's very easy to single out this kind of player for criticism. People used to do it with the likes of Darryl Powell and even Geraint Williams for Derby. The likes of Milner and Carrick play a vital role in teams and you only notice them when they're missing. I think Milner is vastly under-rated and would turn Derby into a quality side if here.

How DARE you lump Georgie Williams in the same scentence as Darryl Powell....!!

Milner is a fantastic defensive winger

People get confused and have some sort of imagine that he's supposed to be this flying winger with a goal threat.. He's not.

He's exactly the sort of player Roy needs if he wants to grind out a 0-0 against Italy or Portugal as he'll spend all day tracking back the opposition's winger/full back

England are ordinary... We have been for a while.

I was looking back at a game from the golden era of 2002-08 and we still fielded a host of average players like Micah Richards, SWP, Danny Mills, Trevor Sinclair, Micheal Owen after injuries, Joe Cole, Paul Robinson, Scot Carson, David James etc.

Not one of our players from the Golden era would get into Spain's first or second team

Quite easily. Both were undervalued in a team surrounded by players of flashier ability.

Its all personal opinions , mine of Williams is that his distribution was about the worst I ever saw from a Derby player, he passed the ball to the other team consistently.

He's been pretty good for Liverpool.. But then again he's massively helped by playing against weak PL defences

People should realise than the PL and England national team isn't linked in any form..

All of our players are the grafters for the PL sides and are probably only in it because they're English.. I mean you can't imagine someone like Man Utd buying Cleverly if he was a German playing for Schalke or you can't imagine Gerrard getting anywhere near the amount of attention that he does if he was Bulgarian..

The frightening thing is if any of our players were German who would Joachim Low call up? I doubt you could name 5

To the squad?  could name 5 easily... 

to their first XI then you're struggling.

Baines/Cole would get in at left back

Rooney upfront, arguably Sturridge would start also... 

That's about it. Schurre is consistently in the German squad and he is just your standard 'good' Premier League player - certainly hasn't performed as well Townsend this season. 

The german starting 11 when everybody is fit... it's just too much football for one side. 

the squad, however, does have weaknesses.. 

Lallana was good last night, a team player; which we don;t have many of. Townsend, Sturridge, Barkley and, upon occasion, Rooney all went for the solo effort last night. Severely costs us in moments of pressure. Lallana still did a load of tricks and some magic, but he looked to get a cross in and still did the sensible thing when it was a safer option than going solo. This is the sort of ethic needed when playing internationally. They;ll never know each other as well as club teams will, so people playing with that ethic are vital, especially against the better teams.

Players who work for each other, not for themselves. It may work when we're playing against Ukraine/Poland (as you could see from the difference between Townsend against Poland/Ukraine and then against Germany) but not against top teams.

To the squad?  could name 5 easily... 

to their first XI then you're struggling.

Baines/Cole would get in at left back

Rooney upfront, arguably Sturridge would start also... 

That's about it. Schurre is consistently in the German squad and he is just your standard 'good' Premier League player - certainly hasn't performed as well Townsend this season. 

The german starting 11 when everybody is fit... it's just too much football for one side. 

the squad, however, does have weaknesses.. 

Sturridge.....you have got to be joking right.....he wouldnt get in to the German squad, come to think of it he wouldnt get into any national squad. 

Cole and Rooney are the only ones that would get anywhere near the squad, they are the only world class players we have had for a long long time.

i think part of england problems there all very very good players with long balls, but when comes to using the ball on the deck and using it in tight areas we struggle like hell like germany and chile showed us that. if i was roy hodgson i would might them train on a dead small area so they have to play the easy and simple balls. i think that is something that will hughes does for us very well. but they need to come and see us play because derby do know how to stand there ground.

Sturridge.....you have got to be joking right.....he wouldnt get in to the German squad, come to think of it he wouldnt get into any national squad. 

Cole and Rooney are the only ones that would get anywhere near the squad, they are the only world class players we have had for a long long time.

Which strikers are better than Sturridge for Germany though?

fact is, they have it rough in the striking department.

Mario Gomez is their top man... Kruse is no better than Lambert though. 

Which strikers are better than Sturridge for Germany though?

fact is, they have it rough in the striking department.

Mario Gomez is their top man... Kruse is no better than Lambert though. 

Rough in the striking department? Erm I'd say Muller, Gomez, Klose (for the natural frontman) plus Kroos and Ozil (who played uptop in qualifying games) are all capable enough of playing the frontman and being better than any of our lot..

Don't look into their squad that was picked for the England game... They had a good number of key players rested..

Kruse will migt not even make their squad come the WC

As for Schurrle... it's a strange one. As he has done pretty well for the German national side and Low seems to get alot out of him. As for 'good standard PL player' that's abit harsh.. You should give him time, and you should also take into account the PL is not the be all and end all to judge a player. Afterall, some of our English boys have excelled in the PL and then made to look completely average at International level

26% of Premier League players are eligable to play for England. 47% of Bundesliga players can turn out for Germany. I have no idea what the percentages are for the top five or six clubs in each country, but I suspect that the difference is even greater.

Untill these statistics change, England will never be competitive.

26% of Premier League players are eligable to play for England. 47% of Bundesliga players can turn out for Germany. I have no idea what the percentages are for the top five or six clubs in each country, but I suspect that the difference is even greater.

Untill these statistics change, England will never be competitive.

Not necessarily...

only the top English talent plays in the Premier League, with all the other international players that are also very good.

It will only drive competition upwards, and the best English players will be the ones who play week in week out - along side your Brazilians, Spaniards...etc  

If you're good enough, you will play IMO.. 

Rough in the striking department? Erm I'd say Muller, Gomez, Klose (for the natural frontman) plus Kroos and Ozil (who played uptop in qualifying games) are all capable enough of playing the frontman and being better than any of our lot..

Don't look into their squad that was picked for the England game... They had a good number of key players rested..

Kruse will migt not even make their squad come the WC

As for Schurrle... it's a strange one. As he has done pretty well for the German national side and Low seems to get alot out of him. As for 'good standard PL player' that's abit harsh.. You should give him time, and you should also take into account the PL is not the be all and end all to judge a player. Afterall, some of our English boys have excelled in the PL and then made to look completely average at International level

I mean as proper strikers go, Sturridge is preferable to all but Gomez, Muller usually plays wide right doesn't he? but yeah, my point is they have a base of players that are world class.. we still have players that would crack their squad. 

they have 4 keepers in the top 20 in the world IMO (Adler, Neuer, Weidenfeller and Stegen)

Schmelzer, Hummels, Mertesacker, Boateng, Lahm are all top players..

Their midfield is the best in the world for me (sorry spain) I don't even know how they can fit them all in..

Ozil, Muller, Kroos, Reus, Schweinsteiger, Gotze, Gundogan and Khedira are all world class players.. 8 world class midfielders in one team, it's madness. 

upfront, meh... Gomez, Kruse, Klose and Podolski? make up their frontmen. 

Archived