iPro Stadium

DcFc Dyycheee

I see both sides of the argument but I don't understand what we're selling out on here. We're all going to keep calling it Pride Park. All iPro are paying for is a renaming of our stadium in interviews, match reports and on the Tele (though not all the time of course, pundits and players will still call it Pride Park).

It's win-win. The name change isn't really a name change at all, but we're getting 7 million for it.

Why not?

• Replies 740
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Leicester started off as Walkers, then that deal expired. This is solely a way of funnelling money into the club, I wouldn't at all be surprised if some of our owner/investors also have a vested interest in the future of iPro.

As for Cardiff and Hull, Cardiff owner chasing the 'red equals luck, dragon equals luck, I know...', Hull owner just trying to fight the reality that Hull is a grim place by trying to make it exciting. We don't have deluded owners thankfully.

It's a snowball effect though innit - ok, right now Hull and Cardiff are the exceptions rather than the rule, but they both sow a seed in the public conscious. For the fans, it gradually becomes the norm, or at least more acceptable (hell even sometimes fashionable!). For the owners, it shows that if they want to make a similar change they could indeed get away with it - so long as they're happy to live with the negative fan sentiment.

Look back 20 odd years and how many grounds had sponsored names? For the record now, I'm looking more at football as a whole rather than exclusively at Derby (which I realise is not a particularly extreme example right now).

Look at it positively.

If iPro go bust at some time in the future, then we just get the internet's main product to sponsor the stadium. It's a one-letter addition - stick an 'n' on the end.

I see both sides of the argument but I don't understand what we're selling out on here. We're all going to keep calling it Pride Park. All iPro are paying for is a renaming of our stadium in interviews, match reports and on the Tele (though not all the time of course, pundits and players will still call it Pride Park).

It's win-win. The name change isn't really a name change at all, but we're getting 7 million for it.

Why not?

I don't know. Do people still call Leicester's the walkers? Genuine question. In time I think we'll drop 'pride park'.

ipro sounds ok. But it's this kind of thing that's wrong with football. I understand its neccesary now and Derby are just playing the new game. But look at football now. Can you Duracell take your future kid watching Derby? Can you take him around the country?

You've got subscription costs to watch the top league. Now the Champions League too has been bought I wonder where that bill will get picked up?

Euro Championships to be played across the continent?

Even our attendance announcement is sponsored.

Money, money and more fookin money. Who invited these cnuts in with their billions? Hello Mr Murdoch, what can I do for you? You'd like to buy the game and sell it back to people at a ridiculous prices on your exclusive channel? Now every club is shitting on everything to try and stay in the game.

Kids will laugh at the idea of football being open to anyone.

So greedy and exclusive and the way all clubs constantly have to focus on the pounds and pennies makes me sick. When did players become worth so much more than any doctor or soldier? Why does Rooney get 100k after tax? Why?!?! Why does he earn in one week what it would take me to earn in years?

It's corrupt ******** the lot of it. Gone too far to go back and it will get a whole lot worse. It's snowballing now.

What happens on the pitch is like the sideshow. The game is played by adverts and ground names and shirt sponsors and kick off times and...

Greedy **** game. How many North London council kids think watching Arsenal play a home match is an event? They can't go and watch their team play a GAME on a park because Dad's wages have to save up a year to buy Jack Wlshere some new tyres and the **** is reflected in the ticket price.

who cares what its called? i never say pride park anyway, i just say the ground or whatever, so it dpesnt really bother me

also ipro appears to be a company with a good ethos; and as they grow and get bigger, surely that can only be a good thing for us?

buxton drinks the drink in training aswell, so if its good enough for him, its good enough for me!

who cares what its called? i never say pride park anyway, i just say the ground or whatever, so it dpesnt really bother me

also ipro appears to be a company with a good ethos; and as they grow and get bigger, surely that can only be a good thing for us?

Buxton drinks the drink in training aswell, so if its good enough for him, its good enough for me!

People thought Nestle had a good ethos and ethics. 

Buxton drinks the drink in training aswell, so if its good enough for him, its good enough for me!

How are you able to judge that Derbydave?

All I see is the same bottles in a different wrapper from a company and an almost identical product range, that was seemingly set for global domination.

I don't know what their ethos is, checking the history of the management team and its founders doesn't show me any ethos at all.

It shows me a set of hard working entrepreneurs who've got a good idea for a brand. It show me a group of intelligent young lads have come up with a potential gold mine, if they can get some credibility behind the name.

It shows me a managing director who must have been pretty successful at doing this before, if you google soccerade you'll see tit was widely available, and backed by Cristiano Ronaldo? It doesn't get much bigger than that as a sports soft drink. 

Outside of that? I don't see much evidence of a cutting edge, ready to produce, smoothly operating company.

It's surprising to me that they are not shouting about their successes at soccerade? What happened there, where did ipro come from?

I'm not totally against the deal, although I hate the way the game has gone, for the club the money could come in handy, but for us to be trumpetting this as some kind of game changing deal?

I think there are massive risks involved and I just question how much this will benefit derby county and how much it will potentially benefit ipro.

7m over 10 years? what happens when we go up? Does it get renegotiated? How do Derby benefit if this brand flies? What happened last time that stopped them from taking over the world with soccerade and what will they do differently this time around.

All questions I would ask before accepting this deal as the fantastic one it's being sold as.

Sorry everyone, I might be being a bit of a cock about it but they are my concerns.

I don't know. Do people still call Leicester's the walkers? Genuine question. In time I think we'll drop 'pride park'.

ipro sounds ok. But it's this kind of thing that's wrong with football. I understand its neccesary now and Derby are just playing the new game. But look at football now. Can you Duracell take your future kid watching Derby? Can you take him around the country?

You've got subscription costs to watch the top league. Now the Champions League too has been bought I wonder where that bill will get picked up?

Euro Championships to be played across the continent?

Even our attendance announcement is sponsored.

Money, money and more fookin money. Who invited these cnuts in with their billions? Hello Mr Murdoch, what can I do for you? You'd like to buy the game and sell it back to people at a ridiculous prices on your exclusive channel? Now every club is shitting on everything to try and stay in the game.

Kids will laugh at the idea of football being open to anyone.

So greedy and exclusive and the way all clubs constantly have to focus on the pounds and pennies makes me sick. When did players become worth so much more than any doctor or soldier? Why does Rooney get 100k after tax? Why?!?! Why does he earn in one week what it would take me to earn in years?

It's corrupt ******** the lot of it. Gone too far to go back and it will get a whole lot worse. It's snowballing now.

What happens on the pitch is like the sideshow. The game is played by adverts and ground names and shirt sponsors and kick off times and...

Greedy **** game. How many North London council kids think watching Arsenal play a home match is an event? They can't go and watch their team play a GAME on a park because Dad's wages have to save up a year to buy Jack Wlshere some new tyres and the **** is reflected in the ticket price.

I sold out ages ago mate when I sold my naming rights to a battery firm.

Leicester's ground will always be the Theatre of Crisps to me. Newcastle's ground is still St James. And you'll never have me calling Wigan's stadium anything other than the JJB.

Maybe it's because I'm younger than you, but I don't notice the advertising and sponsorship so much. I don't wince when I hear the sub has a sponsor. I just don't notice it at all.

I hate a lot of what football is, but I hate a lot of society too. It's all greed. We've always been greedy though. We're just very good at it these days and the world of football can't escape that.

We'll get football back you know. My kid will watch Derby with me, he has no choice, just like how I had to. The bubble will burst. BT just spunked 900 million on TV rights for a product that barely a quarter of the population will be able to watch - that's not sustainable.

Is there a possibility for our sponsor to have a sponsor? and then their sponsor has a sponsor? and then all then all the money goes upwards like a pyramid scheme until we're the richest club in the world and can finally build a stadium on the moon - the "iPro Lunar Arena - sponsored by McVities" or the "The Kelloggs Spaceball Ground - sponsored by Alka Seltzer sponsored by Betfair" or something

Is there a possibility for our sponsor to have a sponsor? and then their sponsor has a sponsor? and then all then all the money goes upwards like a pyramid scheme until we're the richest club in the world and can finally build a stadium on the moon - the "iPro Lunar Arena - sponsored by McVities" or the "The Kelloggs Spaceball Ground - sponsored by Alka Seltzer sponsored by Betfair" or something

The iPro Park Farm JJB Soccerdome... Brought to you by Nasa - in association with Buffalo Wild Wings.

I'm ok with the name, I would have been really brassed off if we'd gone with something like The Cash Convertors Stadium or The Buy Mobiles Arena/Stadium. I can see Jeff Stelling saying "And we're off to The Ipro to hear about Derby's 4th against a sorry Nottingham Forest.  ;)

How are you able to judge that Derbydave?

All I see is the same bottles in a different wrapper from a company and an almost identical product range, that was seemingly set for global domination.

I don't know what their ethos is, checking the history of the management team and its founders doesn't show me any ethos at all.

It shows me a set of hard working entrepreneurs who've got a good idea for a brand. It show me a group of intelligent young lads have come up with a potential gold mine, if they can get some credibility behind the name.

It shows me a managing director who must have been pretty successful at doing this before, if you google soccerade you'll see tit was widely available, and backed by Cristiano Ronaldo? It doesn't get much bigger than that as a sports soft drink. 

Outside of that? I don't see much evidence of a cutting edge, ready to produce, smoothly operating company.

It's surprising to me that they are not shouting about their successes at soccerade? What happened there, where did ipro come from?

I'm not totally against the deal, although I hate the way the game has gone, for the club the money could come in handy, but for us to be trumpetting this as some kind of game changing deal?

I think there are massive risks involved and I just question how much this will benefit derby county and how much it will potentially benefit ipro.

7m over 10 years? what happens when we go up? Does it get renegotiated? How do Derby benefit if this brand flies? What happened last time that stopped them from taking over the world with soccerade and what will they do differently this time around.

All questions I would ask before accepting this deal as the fantastic one it's being sold as.

Sorry everyone, I might be being a bit of a cock about it but they are my concerns.

I honestly don't know why you're getting so worked up about this.

If they fail, we go back to Pride Park and miss out on the 700k a year (not the end of the world). It's not like they're going to drag us down into bankruptcy with them and Derby County ceases to exist.

Or am I missing something?

What you see as worked up, I see as a healthy interest in facts.

I don't trust the current CEO, I can't be more open than that.

Again I don't like the way this has been "sold" to us. This is not some established global brand we should be excited to have, this is 4 lads from Slough who are going to need a hell of a lot of support to grow to the levels needed to pay us the 7m quid. 

That support is coming from Derby County, we've just given them a vehicle into the market, a platform to launch from.

I don't think this company would get near any other football club for naming rights, at least not in it's current form and I don't know how we can claim 7m in sponsorship from a company that doesn't look to have too many guaranteed revenue streams existing right now.

I think the success of this company is heavily reliant on piggy backing Derby's marketing and brand.

Again I've got no problem with a group of young businessmen trying to make an idea fly, I've got huge issues with us pre declaring a 10 year deal and trumpeting it as the biggest of its kind. when the truth is the last sports drink start up these lads tried they dissolved after two years.

I just want to know that I can trust the people in charge of Derby to be telling me the truth when they speak.

We've just been backed by a start up and we're going to have promote them as much as we possibly can to help them pay us that 7m quid.

What you see as worked up, I see as a healthy interest in facts.

I don't trust the current CEO, I can't be more open than that.

Again I don't like the way this has been "sold" to us. This is not some established global brand we should be excited to have, this is 4 lads from Slough who are going to need a hell of a lot of support to grow to the levels needed to pay us the 7m quid. 

That support is coming from Derby County, we've just given them a vehicle into the market, a platform to launch from.

I don't think this company would get near any other football club for naming rights, at least not in it's current form and I don't know how we can claim 7m in sponsorship from a company that doesn't look to have too many guaranteed revenue streams existing right now.

I think the success of this company is heavily reliant on piggy backing Derby's marketing and brand.

Again I've got no problem with a group of young businessmen trying to make an idea fly, I've got huge issues with us pre declaring a 10 year deal and trumpeting it as the biggest of its kind. when the truth is the last sports drink start up these lads tried they dissolved after two years.

I just want to know that I can trust the people in charge of Derby to be telling me the truth when they speak.

We've just been backed by a start up and we're going to have promote them as much as we possibly can to help them pay us that 7m quid.

Sums up perfectly what I think too.

Archived