iPro Stadium

DcFc Dyycheee

So you own a business and want some publicity, you are also committing to give away £7m if your business lasts 10 years. You're not going to be happy if the deal is done with NO publicity shots, no mention or no fanfare in the slightest are you?

This was always going to split the opinion of supporters. Playing up as out and out good news and not addressing the people that this will upset is stupid. That's the kind of thing Sepp Blatter does.

• Replies 740
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why did we lose our soul?? Moving from a dilapidated **** hole of a stadium that was named after an American corruption of rounders, where three of the stands didn't even face square on to the pitch, where the catering was crap, the toilets stunk and it was almost impossible to park? The place was rocking when we stuffed a few teams (albeit top teams in Europe), but it wasn't so great when we had 9,000 in there. "Lost our soul" FFS!!!

That was our home, that's where we had our most succesful periods. You're right about the toilets and the catering (although have you been to PP recently? Catering hasn't come on too much), but we decided to move away from that to a piece of baron land. And, much the same as the BBG, when we get '9,000 in there', it's not great either.

I'm fine with it, it actually wasn't a complaint. But if we were going to change the name of the BBG I'd be much more upset than I am about Pride Park.

I'm not some romanticist who plays up the BBG - I've been when the crowds were bad, when it was packed, when we got promoted, when we got spanked. But that was home. This is somewhere we play our matches.

This was always going to split the opinion of supporters. Playing up as out and out good news and not addressing the people that this will upset is stupid. That's the kind of thing Sepp Blatter does.

well that's the thing. I don't think people have the right to be upset. People only pay for the privilege of watching football and owning merchandise, the rest is periforal.

Fans think the club owes them something because they are attached emotionally to it, well, sadly, like in the case of me being madly in love with the girl who doesn't want to know, it doesn't mean anything.

Fans have the right to call it whatever they want. I've been calling it the City Ground for the last 10 years, whenever I get into a taxi before the match "city ground please driver!", I always end up there. The area is still known as Pride Park, the address will still be Pride Park, effectively nothing is lost, and only money for nothing is gained.

Why release an announcement at 8pm? To me that's hyping it up. Just tell the Telegraph, let it trickle through.

Also the club felt the need to tweet a photo of Rush and someone from Ipro as though it's great news and we just need to witness this piece of important history.

I think it should have been dealt with in more of a 'look, we know alot of people won't be too happy with this but it's a good opportunity to compete', rather than making it out to be some fantastic joint venture.

We're one step closer to franchising. Derby City Ramraiders.

Why shouldn't it be hyped up? Why wouldn't the club and company want to put out a press release and a nice pic of the two people largely behind it? Both parties are clearly pleased with the deal and it is putting £7M into the club that we didn't have before. Your last paragraph isn't even worth commenting on (but clearly I'm going to  :) ), Why would you think that because we have changed the name of the stadium would we change the name of the team from County to City Ramraiders or whatever? You may not have been around at the time but Derby County were at the forefront of sponsorship in football with their Saab deal a zillion years or so ago. Cheer up!!!

So you own a business and want some publicity, you are also committing to give away £7m if your business lasts 10 years. You're not going to be happy if the deal is done with NO publicity shots, no mention or no fanfare in the slightest are you?

What did iPro themselves do to publicise it? Where was their fanfare? As far as i saw it was just Cliff on twitter.

Personally I'd have preferred a business with a bit more of a presence, a bit more of a tradition. I've had a look at their website and it looks cheap, I've had a look at where their offices are based and it looks cheap, I've had a look for any announcements at all of planned new hires for this global brand.  Surely they must have needed employees to get to this stage? Or must be needing them now, Production, packing, logisitcs, sales? Marketing?

All from Unit 6 Waterside Drive langley.

That's what's bugging me, I can't find anything so far that suggest this company is going places.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for entrepreneurs and this Cliff Bogle and his mates might just be the next huge success.

I just don't see their credentials for becoming a major sponsor of our football club. I'm probably just being daft.

Why shouldn't it be hyped up? Why wouldn't the club and company want to put out a press release and a nice pic of the two people largely behind it? Both parties are clearly pleased with the deal and it is putting £7M into the club that we didn't have before. Your last paragraph isn't even worth commenting on (but clearly I'm going to  :) ), Why would you think that because we have changed the name of the stadium would we change the name of the team from County to City Ramraiders or whatever? You may not have been around at the time but Derby County were at the forefront of sponsorship in football with their Saab deal a zillion years or so ago. Cheer up!!!

Hull City have changed their name. Cardiff now play in red. You can't be that out of touch to think that changing our name is never going to happen...can you?!

What did iPro themselves do to publicise it? Where was their fanfare? As far as i saw it was just Cliff on twitter.

Personally I'd have preferred a business with a bit more of a presence, a bit more of a tradition. I've had a look at their website and it looks cheap, I've had a look at where their offices are based and it looks cheap, I've had a look for any announcements at all of planned new hires for this global brand.  Surely they must have needed employees to get to this stage? Or must be needing them now, Production, packing, logisitcs, sales? Marketing?

All from Unit 6 Waterside Drive langley.

That's what's bugging me, I can't find anything so far that suggest this company is going places.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for entrepreneurs and this Cliff Bogle and his mates might just be the next huge success.

I just don't see their credentials for becoming a major sponsor of our football club. I'm probably just being daft.

huh? what they did was simply to sign a deal with a football club at 8pm. It's created lots of publicity for them. It's probably better than a standard advertising campaign at this juncture.

I too am concerned. Where are the products? How long will this business last? where is the drink produced/bottled?  etc etc.

But I know Sam is a lawyer, and these 'chancers' (if they are that) might be in for a shock if they think they're pulling a fast one.

Out of interest, does anyone know why the business park was called Pride Park in the first place? 

Has the word 'Pride' got any reference to Derby or the area???

If the business park was named after some historical reference regarding Derby's previous industrial achievements, and thus as the the stadium is named after the park, changing the name for a sponsorship deal is a bad move by the club. However, if the name of the park has no real traditional relevance, then why does it matter whether the name of the stadium is changed???

It was a pretty unimaginative name in the first place, and a cringe worthy one at that!!

I may be completed wide of the mark here but I have it in my head that Pride was an acronym.

P

Regeneration

In

Derby

E

Not sure what the P and E stood for or if the idea has been totally made up off the top of my head!

http://www.prideparkstadium.com still has a pretty nice website

http://www.iprostadium.com is not quite so impressive

and its things like that making me tense.

When you spend 7m on a sponsorship deal, you make sure you've got someone buying a domain name for 49,95.

I checked their LinkedIn profile again.

They're connected to a company called ipro sport media - no news on them at all, no employees either, just this product listing. Which looks pretty familiar.

The link to THAT website doesn't work either.

Soccerade
No logo
Product Overview

Soccerade drinks are based on  Leppin Smart Energy, for people appreciating the benefits of comfortable energy to help them improve their physical and mental performance in everyday life. Soccerade's long chain carbohydrates provide a concentrated source of energy that is quickly digested and absorbed, even during hard exercise.

Soccerade provides gentle energy, making the drinks suitable for people of all ages, from children to professional athletes.

Cristiano Ronaldo of Real Madrid CF is Soccerade's global ambassador.

• No Artificial Colours
  • No Preservatives
  • No Caffeine or Other Stimulants
  • Quenches Thirst and Maintains Hydration
  • Provides Gentle, Long-lasting Energy
  • Provides Measured Amounts of Electrolytes (Minerals & Salts)

Possibly the same product rebranded? The original looks a bit too kiddy for adult footy fans.

http://www.fuzion.ie/index.cfm?page=viewNews&newsId=533

Interesting article here on the laucnh of Soccerade in 2010.

Interesting especially because we were one of the clubs listed as endorsing the product then.

The science behind the new “Smart Energy” is that the drink provides the body with stable blood sugar and a body with stable blood sugar is more likely to have better focus and attention plus more energy and endurance for both body and brain. Stable blood sugar also reduces the craving for sweets, thus assisting in losing or maintaining healthy body weight.As a natural product it contains no preservatives, artificial colours, caffeine, or other stimulating substances, which can have harmful effects both in the short and long term.  Therefore it is fit for daily activities and has an advantage over many energy drink brands that use caffeine, taurine and single sugars.

Professional Fitness Experts agree with Ronaldo and Soccerade is now the official drink of soccer teams across the UK, including Newcastle FC and Derby County FC.  Nigel Ashley Jones, Strength & Conditioning Coach at Derby County FC stated “The water based quality of the drink allows for better hydration unlike other sports drinks. It quenches thirst directly and ticks all boxes for us scientifically. It has fantastic flavours and most importantly the players enjoy it and indeed benefit physically from it.

Soccerade is available nationwide through Dunnes Stores, Spar and Londis.  For more information visit www.soccerade.com

Out of interest, does anyone know why the business park was called Pride Park in the first place? 

Has the word 'Pride' got any reference to Derby or the area???

I was working vaguely in the same company when the original Pride Park project kicked off.

The Government had an initiative called "City Challenge" where cities could bid for massive amount of funding to regenerate an area of the inner city to attract further investment.

The trading company set up to manage the bid was called Derby Pride – a load of people from my work got seconded to this company to work on the bid.  

As far as  can remember there was no acronym involved in the term pride but I could be wrong. Obviously when they won the City Challenge money they named the area Pride Park, and then the stadium became Pride Park Stadium almost by default. There was no explicit reasoning behind the name. It's kind of like christening the new baby "the new baby" because that's what it is. The new baby now has a name at last!

When you look back at what was achieved, it's hugely impressive in my opinion, and ironically something we Derbeians should indeed have pride in. A more detailed write up is here

http://www.derbygripe.co.uk/pride.htm

Archived