iPro Stadium

DcFc Dyycheee

I'm not over the moon about the renaming of the stadium, but I do have to ask some older fans.

Just because PP hasn't seen what the BBG did, doesn't mean it has no history!!

To you maybe it doesn't! You have seen better days with DCFC, the thousands of younger fans born c1990 onwards have not!

Pride Park is THEIR Baseball Ground.

Poom is THEIR Shilton.

The Semi Final with Man U was THEIR famous European clash with Juventus.

Jim Smith was THEIR Brian Clough.

Do you not understand how the younger fans are upset?

That's a rather depressing post, feel sorry for the young 'uns now!

• Replies 740
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The money is paid up front every year so there is no gamble.

Do you really think we are going to be spending future years income?

You mean as in 08 when the Investec loan was secured against the second parachute payment,or as in the so called 'revolving loan' ,secured against future income streams?

Pride Park has no history that is comparable to other stadiums that have been around for a while. To talk about semi final games as history is actually embarrassing for me.

You shouldn't be embarrassed, you should be sad that the young lot haven't had the privilege to see what you have.

Those times hopefully will be with us again one day though, I'd love yo see them with my own eyes, rather than YouTube clips through my PC Monitor.

And I may have said that I'm not over the moon with the naming rights, but I never said I wasnt behind it.

I agree we need to maximise revenues to compete, and if the stadium has a name change for it then so be it.

I just pray that's as far as it goes.

Does anyone think they could handle what happened with Cardiff?

How very.short memory you lot have pp have seen earnio whacope poom stamic and so on with have seen carling cup semi final against man u play off semi final against southampion. So do not tell me pp has no histroy. I am not happy about sell pride park name. I wish the Americans would **** off.

Only one out of four, come on :)

Does anyone think they could handle what happened with Cardiff?

No way. I couldn't support some blokes ego every Saturday. Change the colours and the badge as we play in that identikit stadium and what is left?

Would you keep going?

If he had the money to see us where Man City are.

im no accountant like some ;-) but we are continually spending future years income, be it season ticket, tv, or sponsorship money.

I dont know the ins and outs of the sponsorship, but if we sign a player in Jan on the back of this; which we have indicated we will, I would suspect that the deal will be over 3 years and would probably be based on future installments from this deal.

There was an article in DET today that said the money would be in installments over the 10 years and would not be increased if when we reach the Premier League.

I very much doubt that such an experienced group of businessmen will be putting all of their eggs in one basket with a new start up business.

I personally think that the wage budget may be increased to reflect this new income but don't see us going out spending millions on players based on the extra £700k a year income.

You mean as in 08 when the Investec loan was secured against the second parachute payment,or as in the so called 'revolving loan' ,secured against future income streams?

No I don't mean that, both the examples you have given were clearly guaranteed future income. I think the board are clearly intelligent enough to see that this new income stream is by no means guaranteed.

TobyWanKenobi

It's bricks and mortar. Memories are in our heads, not in buildings. A change of name does not impact on this.

Some people need to grow up.

Players make those memories, and so £7,000,000 will buy us some memories.

No way. I couldn't support some blokes ego every Saturday. Change the colours and the badge as we play in that identikit stadium and what is left?

Would you keep going?

If he had the money to see us where Man City are.

There's changing a stadium name, then there's changing an identity.

Normally you have to commit a very serious crime and do a lot of years in prison to have a new identity.

Although Cardiff are still Cardiff to the onlooking eye, the temptation of Man City-esque lifestyle for the club would be hard to turn down for some fans. (not saying Cardiff have that, just replying to your post)

As nice as it would be, I hope we never have to face that decision.

Derby County is Derby County, I'm sure most of us would like to keep it that way.

Hate this move, yes great commercial move and money for nothing...good in that respect, but for us young un's, the excitement of being a kid watching the stadium go up, going to this place with a cool name at the time and going to see it opened by the queen.....to then just go and change it!A part of my childhood just died! Will always be Pride Park

I've only ever really known PP, went the odd one at the BBG but I can only just remember it, I don't consider PP a prestigious name to Derby County and something to be exceedingly proud of. When you mention Derby to other fans you often here "I used to love going the baseball ground" amongst other comments about the old stadium, barely anything of our new one. As much as I love a Saturday afternoon a PP it doesn't bother me we've gave it a new name for £7,000,000. I see it as a wise and logical deal to help the club progress so we can actually gain these glory years back and have something to be properly proud of at PP. I always smile thinking of those Semi Final wins vs Southampton and Man Utd but wouldn't you prefer something a little more? Think of the bigger picture..

Almost some sense then coming from a moronic 20 year old who is unbelievably care free in life. :D

Hate this move, yes great commercial move and money for nothing...good in that respect, but for us young un's, the excitement of being a kid watching the stadium go up, going to this place with a cool name at the time and going to see it opened by the queen.....to then just go and change it!A part of my childhood just died! Will always be Pride Park

Cool name? your having me on

Having a few good players isn't history.

Bradford made the Carling Cup final last year. Ipswich the semi final the year before (?)

Nothing like the BBG, City Ground, Old Trafford or Anfield

Dis you just compare the City Ground to Old Trafford and Anfield? Good lad

The BBG was (and it's memory still is) special to me because it was where I watched the team play during my formative years, so I can easily understand those who have only known PP feeling a similar attachment not least because some of the football we have had during the PP years has genuinely been fantastic. At times. The Jim Smith team was a really good side and the football they played bore good comparison with the teams of Sir Brian, Dave Mackay and Arthur. And we have had great occasions and games, like the play off semi, the coffee cup and others - matches than will be part of family folklore in years to come - as well as great individual players.

I like the name Pride Park. It has grown on me and the name and area represents a considerable commercial success that has given the city some security through the last few years of recession. I bet other cities come and visit and try to copy. It's important.

So even for me, changing the name is important emotionally. But though I may dislike many of the changes I see, football has moved on. Generating income is now all important through anything from TV to sponsoring substitutions. There's a large bit of me that feels that football is/has sold it's soul (if it ever had one) but it won't be readily undone and unless we keep up we will fall even further behind than we already are; stand even less chance of seeing our team prosper and compete at the top.

Ipro's not such a bad name. And if we have to change again at some point in the future you never know, we may get something even better

I was blase about the name change at first because I was looking at it from my own point of view. If it was the Baseball Ground changing we'd have been in uproar about it.  I hadn't considered the young uns perspective of only knowing PP, being given the day off school for the visit of the Queen and all the fanfare of the new stadium. I was too busy mourning the loss of my spiritual home across the city at the time to see it that way.

Its not ideal at all but a its a sad fact of the modern game and i think young uttox summed it up eloquently......be sad lads by all means, but look forward not back. Some of you will be absolutely blown away by the passion and excitement if this helps us to a new era of success.

Believe me, when Derby are on the up the last thing you'll worry about is the name of the ground. You've seen a bit of excitement over in notts and down at lessta because they think they may mount a challenge for the prem?

Well, i'm telling you now, little old Derby will blow those fookers out of the water when it comes our way!

Archived