iPro Stadium

DcFc Dyycheee

And that's a much much bigger company.

True but I guess that could work either way though, AmEx would have a better starting point in negotiations as they are wider known, but on the other hand they would have more money and Brighton (just noticed I spelt it wrong in my previous post :o ) would have expected more cash because of that. So I have no idea what the point of this post is :lol:

• Replies 740
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, it's fine by me, it won't affect my life in any shape or form.

If any sponsorship affects me, it's the shirt sponsor and the kit manufacturer and we've got Kappa fgs, these are the things I see all the time and buy and wash etc. 

My 15 year old daughter is not very happy about it but it's all she's known.  Many clubs have to put up with worse things than this - look at Cardiff.

True but I guess that could work either way though, AmEx would have a better starting point in negotiations as they are wider known, but on the other hand they would have more money and Brighton (just noticed I spelt it wrong in my previous post :o ) would have expected more cash because of that. So I have no idea what the point of this post is :lol:

You say that, but don't really see why that would matter. I doubt Brighton set out with the intention of getting an already known brand if it meant sacrificing a few million. I think Brighton actually has AmEx offices there, so that would be more the reason.

Well, it's fine by me, it won't affect my life in any shape or form.

If any sponsorship affects me, it's the shirt sponsor and the kit manufacturer and we've got Kappa fgs, these are the things I see all the time and buy and wash etc. 

My 15 year old daughter is not very happy about it but it's all she's known.  Many clubs have to put up with worse things than this - look at Cardiff.

I don't think Sam would baulk at anything if 

a) there was money to be made from it and...

b) it looked good on his cv!

Wouldn't a player on £13k be out top earner???

What's this thread all about anyway??? I had a weird dream last night that we renamed the stadium after some tin-top drinks firm and only people to give a toss were kids born after 1995............... Hang on!

Anybody aged 20 or under will have only ever known Pride Park as Derby's home. I assume most of us older ones are just grateful its not too embarrassing.

Thinking about it, i can't recall using Pride Park in general conversation much anyway. I never use the term, "I'm going to pride park on saturday", or suchlike. Even for tickets and stuff its more likely to be "i'm going to the ground".

Well it means money I s'pose and it's a shame that seems to be the bottom line every way you look at it.

My opinions not relevant though, it's going to happen no matter if fans agree or not, but it would have been nice to see it named for something to do with the place it's in, maybe the Rolls Royce Stadium, Bombardier Arena, or the Baseball Park, just not a sports drink with no link to tradition, or the area of Derby.

For me there's no identity in it.

Anybody aged 20 or under will have only ever known Pride Park as Derby's home. I assume most of us older ones are just grateful its not too embarrassing.

Thinking about it, i can't recall using Pride Park in general conversation much anyway. I never use the term, "I'm going to pride park on saturday", or suchlike. Even for tickets and stuff its more likely to be "i'm going to the ground".

exactly what i said earlier sir, i never refer to Pride Park in conversation, always just "the ground" or "the match".....the name Price Park means nothing, it has no history, no soul etc etc it was a sponsored stadium right from the start so as Stephen Patrick Morrissey once said "what difference does it make?"...."it makes none"......

Well it means money I s'pose and it's a shame that seems to be the bottom line every way you look at it.

My opinions not relevant though, it's going to happen no matter if fans agree or not, but it would have been nice to see it named for something to do with the place it's in, maybe the Rolls Royce Stadium, Bombardier Arena, or the Baseball Park, just not a sports drink with no link to tradition, or the area of Derby.

For me there's no identity in it.

I'm glad it wasn't Rolls Royce or the first time we lost after it was renamed we'd have had to put up with the press and those tossers up the road cracking jokes about the wheels falling off or something equally hilarious...

Yes but for my 15 year old, it's a big thing. We all go on about the good old days, The Baseball Ground, standing on the terraces etc but it's a different era, this is her era, she wasn't embarrassed about the name as we are, it's a shame, but she'll just have to get used to football changing, like we've had to.

You say that, but don't really see why that would matter. I doubt Brighton set out with the intention of getting an already known brand if it meant sacrificing a few million. I think Brighton actually has AmEx offices there, so that would be more the reason.

Suppose but it would increase the awareness of a new ground with a bigger name.

I think a lot of people here underestimate how much the younger generation like pride park.  When I was little I got a day off school to see the queen open it, it was cutting edge (in my world) and it was awesome.

When I think back to the BBG days, all the real glory was before my time, I loved that stadium but Pride Park feels like home of The Rams to me.

Nice to see we are moving with the times, I thought £7m sounded like too little but from what others have said it's quite good.

Out of interest, does anyone know why the business park was called Pride Park in the first place? 

Has the word 'Pride' got any reference to Derby or the area???

If the business park was named after some historical reference regarding Derby's previous industrial achievements, and thus as the the stadium is named after the park, changing the name for a sponsorship deal is a bad move by the club. However, if the name of the park has no real traditional relevance, then why does it matter whether the name of the stadium is changed???

It was a pretty unimaginative name in the first place, and a cringe worthy one at that!!

Another way of looking at iPro instead of assuming it won't get off the ground is that it could become successful in the sector and something Derby should be proud to be associated with. I doubt people would have complained too much if we became the Lucozade Stadium or Powerade Stadium. So perhaps in a few years time, iPro could well be a household name and successful brand too, it's early days after all.

Thinking about it, I don't refer to Pride Park either. I normally say "I'm going to watch the Rams on Saturday" and of course, envious Geordies/Northumbrians just look on, wishing that they supported such a great team too :)

So, for me, it makes no difference. I don't use "Pride Park" and I won't use "iPro", unless, coincidentially, that becomes a name for some kind of ointment for older people in years to come, in which case, I might!

We lost our soul in 1997. If it's not the City Ground, I couldn't care less what it's called.

Pretty annoying that the club hyped up a 'big announcement' to be a stadium rename.

Did they though?

They invited a couple of reporters and photographers along for an announcement, then one of the journos built the hype. The club if anything, tried to play it down, knowing perhaps that fans are not as excited about these kind of things as they are.

We lost our soul in 1997. If it's not the City Ground, I couldn't care less what it's called.

Pretty annoying that the club hyped up a 'big announcement' to be a stadium rename.

What kind of an announcement do you think would best suit such a major change including a large investment in the club over a long time period?

A small announcement?

Did they though?

They invited a couple of reporters and photographers along for an announcement, then one of the journos built the hype. The club if anything, tried to play it down, knowing perhaps that fans are not as excited about these kind of things as they are.

Why release an announcement at 8pm? To me that's hyping it up. Just tell the Telegraph, let it trickle through.

Also the club felt the need to tweet a photo of Rush and someone from Ipro as though it's great news and we just need to witness this piece of important history.

I think it should have been dealt with in more of a 'look, we know alot of people won't be too happy with this but it's a good opportunity to compete', rather than making it out to be some fantastic joint venture.

We're one step closer to franchising. Derby City Ramraiders.

Why release an announcement at 8pm? To me that's hyping it up. Just tell the Telegraph, let it trickle through.

Also the club felt the need to tweet a photo of Rush and someone from Ipro as though it's great news and we just need to witness this piece of important history.

I think it should have been dealt with in more of a 'look, we know alot of people won't be too happy with this but it's a good opportunity to compete', rather than making it out to be some fantastic joint venture.

We're one step closer to franchising. Derby City Ramraiders.

So you own a business and want some publicity, you are also committing to give away £7m if your business lasts 10 years. You're not going to be happy if the deal is done with NO publicity shots, no mention or no fanfare in the slightest are you?

Why did we lose our soul?? Moving from a dilapidated **** hole of a stadium that was named after an American corruption of rounders, where three of the stands didn't even face square on to the pitch, where the catering was crap, the toilets stunk and it was almost impossible to park? The place was rocking when we stuffed a few teams (albeit top teams in Europe), but it wasn't so great when we had 9,000 in there. "Lost our soul" FFS!!!

Archived