Bryson

valleyram

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I chuckled

I reckon of your 72 posts, at least half of them are based around praising Craig Bryson.

He's a solid Championship midfielder, he'll never be anything more, accept that.

The lad has clearly got some feeling for Craig Bryson then EKR. He joined when Bryson signed and told us what kind of player we'd be getting. I think he's been spot on.

Maybe he's Brysons brother or his mate? Nowt wrong with that.

I think for a while you've possibly underestimated Brysons importance to us anyway.

Valleyram can also take massive heart in that you're not usually right about football at all. Especially when "at least" half of your posts are about Clough never being tactically good enough to win away? ;-)

P3 W3 D0 L0 F10 A2

Thank christ the home form is a bit dodgy.

I chuckled

I reckon of your 72 posts, at least half of them are based around praising Craig Bryson.

He's a solid Championship midfielder, he'll never be anything more, accept that. 

I don't know, for me Bryson would be a hidden gem in the top division. Okay, I don't think he is outstanding quality (he is good quality) but not outstanding, but for me he would be exactly the same player in the premier league that he is in this league, he grafts and works hard and just keeps things ticking by.

I don't see any aspect of his game that would worsen against better players, he never tries to play above his station as it is - so for me he'd be at the same kind of level. 

We've got a lot of players that would come unstuck against more domineering and better players, but Bryson isn't that type of player for me. 

If we're in need of a goal or are cruising watch Bryson closely. He starts making runs that you'd expect top centre forwards to be making. I remember when I first noticed this last season, had we had the players with the vision and ability to slot him through he would have been one on one three times and this was in the space of five minutes. His timing of the run really is top class.

And on regards to an above post about Bryson being just as effective in the top flight as he is in the second tier, I'll always remember what somebody once posted on here. The way he plays, he'd be suited to Barcelona, he'd still be able to play his game and do what he does best. In no way am I saying he's good enough for Barca by the way!

If we're in need of a goal or are cruising watch Bryson closely. He starts making runs that you'd expect top centre forwards to be making. I remember when I first noticed this last season, had we had the players with the vision and ability to slot him through he would have been one on one three times and this was in the space of five minutes. His timing of the run really is top class.

And on regards to an above post about Bryson being just as effective in the top flight as he is in the second tier, I'll always remember what somebody once posted on here. The way he plays, he'd be suited to Barcelona, he'd still be able to play his game and do what he does best. In no way am I saying he's good enough for Barca by the way!

someone who watches the game , well done m8 , ur right the runs he makes and he is never picked out happens so often , does he throw a tantrum ? nop just works back and gets the ball back , I might be wrong but I reckon if he was in playing in premiership and making those runs he would be picked out more often than not and score a lot more than he actually does

For me Bryson is a bit overrated.  No doubt his goals on Sat were very well taken, although they aren't the kind of goals he'll score very often in his career.  From the highlights it sort of looked like it was one of those days when everything we hit went in.  Not that I'm complaining - I'll take that!  God knows it's happened against us enough in the past.

I find that Bryson is good against weaker opposition when he's given a bit more time and space on the ball but struggles to make an impact in games where the opposition has a decent midfield who can string a few passes together.  He's energetic, covers a lot of ground and gives '110%', which will naturally endear him to any set of fans he plays for in British football, but to rave about him as some do is a bit over the top. I've heard people talk about him 'running the midfield' and giving a 'midfield masterclass', which is really quite exaggerating somewhat.  Unless they're talking about running the midfield in quite a literal sense then I don't get it.  Eranio and Idiakez used to control midfield, Bryson doesn't.

Don't get me wrong though, for the money we paid for him he's been a bargain and is more than a competent midfielder for this division. Much bette than (the inexplicably highly rated) Paul Green.  The way our fans were desperate for him to stay left me puzzled to say the least.

The thing about Bryson is that he's a jack of all trades, master of none. He's not an out & out attacking midfielder like Scholes or a Xavi (extreme examples to compare him to but their midfielders who create, score & dictate a midfield). And he isn't the type to dominate the opposition and intimidate like a Keane or Batty.

What he does do is offer a lot of energy and simple, effective passing. Its nice that he's added some goals to his play but wouldn't back him to bag 10/12 a season.

He has not added goals to his play.

This was one game!

If he scores consistently ie every 3 games or so for the next few weeks then I will agree but one hatrick does not mean he has added goals to his game.

Well so far this season in all competitions he has 4 in 7, if he keeps that up all season then everyone will be impressed!

He has not added goals to his play.

This was one game!

If he scores consistently ie every 3 games or so for the next few weeks then I will agree but one hatrick does not mean he has added goals to his game.

Goals per season average for Craig Bryson

Kilmarnock - 3.5

Derby County - 5.5

League goals so far this season - 4

I'd say that's a slight improvement...

I think the only way Bryson will play in the PL is with Derby. I think Hendrick and Hughes are better. I think his game is mostly what he does off the ball. He's not great in the tackle, doesn't score a great many goals, he's not a playmaker. He's a steady pedestrian with good energy. I like him but I don't think he'd be impossible to replace. At the same time I like him being here because he's a tidy footballer.

Like most Derby players his attitude is top class.

Archived