Mason Bennett

FeedTheFish

he should've had more exposure to the rigours of competitive football by now, even it it meant farming him out to Burton to get used to being kicked by old pros with no pace, and to build up the experience of using your attributes to your favour. My fear is that he'll take time to turn the raw potential into valuable contributions. If anyone can remember how useless Dean Sturridge looked for a couple of seasons, mainly before Steve McLaren got hold of him and taught him how to use his backside to turn a defender, I can see Mason having/needing a season or two to just get used to football. It's harder for strikers I think, that's why so many plummet down the leagues and then come back up.

The kid has only just done his GCSEs, I think you need a reality check on that front! Mason obviously has talent but the management clearly feel it's a bit too raw and he's not quite ready yet. I trust them on this and I think he'll be used sparingly until they feel he's ready to cope with it week in week out. He's a completely different character to Hughes it seems and we'll do well to keep his feet on the ground!

I'd rather he stayed with us, where we can keep an eye on all aspects of his development than farming a talented young kid out on loan, where's unlikely to be as well looked after as he is here. Best off in our U21s and the odd first team appearance for another season, if he develops quickly then he'll get into our side on merit.

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

he should've had more exposure to the rigours of competitive football by now, even it it meant farming him out to Burton to get used to being kicked by old pros with no pace, and to build up the experience of using your attributes to your favour. My fear is that he'll take time to turn the raw potential into valuable contributions. If anyone can remember how useless Dean Sturridge looked for a couple of seasons, mainly before Steve McLaren got hold of him and taught him how to use his backside to turn a defender, I can see Mason having/needing a season or two to just get used to football. It's harder for strikers I think, that's why so many plummet down the leagues and then come back up.

Probably right regarding the likelihood that he'll need time to find his feet - but he's still 2 years younger than Sturridge was when he made his debut. No rush (I mean no hurry - I'm not confusing him with the Accrington Stanley wannabe)

Van Persie

Jordan Rhodes

Lee Hughes

All different standards, but they're out and out scorers.

RVP 185 goals in 403 games

Rooney 214 goals in 477 games.

What's that RVP scores an extra goal every 0.05 games, so 5 goals in it ?

I wonder how many games RVP has to play not in his favoured position as well?

I think Rooney has a lot more to his game than some people give him credit for, just he is English so an easy target.

The kid has only just done his GCSEs, I think you need a reality check on that front! Mason obviously has talent but the management clearly feel it's a bit too raw and he's not quite ready yet. I trust them on this and I think he'll be used sparingly until they feel he's ready to cope with it week in week out. He's a completely different character to Hughes it seems and we'll do well to keep his feet on the ground!

I'd rather he stayed with us, where we can keep an eye on all aspects of his development than farming a talented young kid out on loan, where's unlikely to be as well looked after as he is here. Best off in our U21s and the odd first team appearance for another season, if he develops quickly then he'll get into our side on merit.

Probably right regarding the likelihood that he'll need time to find his feet - but he's still 2 years younger than Sturridge was when he made his debut. No rush (I mean no hurry - I'm not confusing him with the Accrington Stanley wannabe)

sorry gents, guilty as charged. Even though I know his age, it didn't register!

I'd imagine he'll have a fair amount more game time this coming season. Clough needs to rotate the squad more next season if he's to achieve a top six finish. Mason should be playing a part.

16 year old Mason Bennett should've had more exposure to the rigours of competitive football by now, even it it meant farming him out to Burton to get used to being kicked by old pros with no pace, and to build up the experience of using your attributes to your favour. My fear is that he'll take time to turn the raw potential into valuable contributions. If anyone can remember how useless Dean Sturridge looked for a couple of seasons, mainly before Steve McLaren got hold of him and taught him how to use his backside to turn a defender, I can see Mason having/needing a season or two to just get used to football. It's harder for strikers I think, that's why so many plummet down the leagues and then come back up.

Possibly the worst post of the year.

To be fair he did hold his hands up a few posts back and admit he made a mistake - I think part of the problem is that this lad has been on the radar of the first team since the season before last - normally in that circumstance they are 19-20 and a loan move would not be a bad idea but in this case I don't think we need to send a 16-17 year old out to get kicked up in the air by league 1/2 defenders, U21's and the bench makes sense

To be fair he did hold his hands up a few posts back and admit he made a mistake - I think part of the problem is that this lad has been on the radar of the first team since the season before last - normally in that circumstance they are 19-20 and a loan move would not be a bad idea but in this case I don't think we need to send a 16-17 year old out to get kicked up in the air by league 1/2 defenders, U21's and the bench makes sense

Sage, the fact that you actually changed wording in my post makes it YOUR post not mine, so yeah, possibly the worst post of the year. Naughty though. I'm sure I say enough to pull me up on without having to doctor my quote.

Even if we don't see him at all this year we can hardly complain. As brilliant as Hughes is I don't think Nigel wanted us to see that much of him.

These lads are young. Especially Bennett. The lads his age that still don't know what their position is. Bet half the lads his age think they're strikers.

I'm sure Nigel will do what's best by them than what's best by the club.

• 1 month later...

Also they're the future of England, in regards to Hughes and Bennett. And let's face it while they play for us in the Championship they won't be picked for the senior England squad! Saying that though i suppose zaha got picked whilst at palace.

From what I have seen I don't think Bennett will make international grade.

Hope I am wrong but I think he has stood out up to this level because of his size.

I have not seen anything to suggest he will be stand out at this level now he is up against bigger guys.

Hope I am wrong but that is my honest opinion.

Hughes is leagues ahead of him I think.

Archived