Mason Bennett

FeedTheFish

Pass, but there again I don't watch any other youth teams.

Name me an English striker who was held in higher regard than Francis Jeffers when he was 17?

A quick look at the England u18 squad lists Chris Long (Everton) and Jordon Ibe (Liverpool) as their strikers so I am guessing that they must be considered better by someone?

Daniel sturridge was highly rated at 17

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well you said jeffers was the last player and he wad ****. And I'm saying sturridge was the last player and he isn't ****

I wasn't saying he was the last player, just using him as an example.

I also don't see Sturridge as the future of England, or if he is I see it as a bleak future.

I'm pretty sure they were round at different times.

Nail on the head though, some that are highly thought of at 17 go on to take the world by storm, some disappear into oblivion.

misunderstood what you meant, thought you meant what players were as highly rated at 17 as Jeffers was when he was 17. Although Jeffers was supposed to be Everton's Owen.

I think the point that G Star is trying to get across is that as Bennett is physically strong (an emphasis that is too highly sought after in British youth teams), he is able to bully fellow U18's accordingly.

When he comes up against the average Championship centre-back, who are far more of a physical match for him, a big advantage is negated, making him less effective.

Will Hughes beats players with skill, movement and intelligence with the ball - something that will remain a defining advantage.

Bennett may well have a good career, but also may find the going a bit tougher if he doesn't progress.

I hope he does well, and to judge him at 17 is wholly unfair - he has a good grounding, let's just hope he can build on it.

I think the point that G Star is trying to get across is that as Bennett is physically strong (an emphasis that is too highly sought after in British youth teams), he is able to bully fellow U18's accordingly.

When he comes up against the average Championship centre-back, who are far more of a physical match for him, a big advantage is negated, making him less effective.

Will Hughes beats players with skill, movement and intelligence with the ball - something that will remain a defining advantage.

Bennett may well have a good career, but also may find the going a bit tougher if he doesn't progress.

I hope he does well, and to judge him at 17 is wholly unfair - he has a good grounding, let's just hope he can build on it.

Spot on.

That is exactly what I was told. Up until this point he has stood out because of his size as opposed to lightning speed or skill.

Now other players of his age are catching him up and he may not stand out as much.

You only need to look at the goal video posted on here to say the way he can bully opponents, not saying that is the only thing to his game but am saying that this is what has made him stand out up to this point.

He certainly hasn't been afraid to put himself about when playing in the first team but has he done anything that has made anyone think...wow what a talent we have here? He hasn't for me.

I think some people are taking this as an attack on him by me. It's far from that, I would love him to succeed but just thought it was worth sharing what I have heard (or what Eddie believes I have made up).

Bennet has looked good in the games he has played in, but Im not sure how anyone can be sure that he will be a future England star, all G-Star is offering is an opionion.

There are not many footballers who go onto represent their country, so the law of averages probably back him up, however its nice to be having a debate on how good players are going to be, rather than how dire they are.

I also worry about Bennett a little, doesn't seem to be advancing as quickly as others. Still ridiculously young, easy to forget when he's been around the first team so long.

Just that Hughes came in and got better week after week until January time. Also his touch and vision were years ahead of others in the championship. All that holds him back is his size, he will eventually fill out a little though. And experience which he gains week by week.

Bennett looks ok, personally be surprised if he played for england though. Hughes is nailed on for me, genuinely can see him being called in soon. Surely the most promising of our u21 squad and still years of developement.

Huddlestone was playing regular by bennetts age, and while a good player has only sparsely played for England. Hughes is far and away the better prospect.

We have a left back worth keeping an eye on, max Lowe. Just called into the u17 England squad. He's very quick, attacking fullback who can defend as well as cause problems further up the field. Ashley cole like.

Not seen much of lelan, Dawkins and Hanson but all are highly rated.

I think Bennett will do a lot more for Derby County than Will Hughes in his career, as I can see Bennett becoming a very good regular at this level in the next few years, whereas I think Hughes will be gone definitely before he hits his 20th birthday! 

Having watched Bennett a few times, he is ridiculously strong, quick and powerful - but he has very sharp feet to add. He makes poor decisions and that will hinder him, but I think he will get game time this season, in one form or another - and, would be pretty confident of him hitting his first championship goal this season.

Better than Theo and Tyson, and watching him in the under 21s from time to time - he looks a lot better than the majority of players, but even at that level he can power his way through, and causes all types of problems. 

A good player, think he will struggle to become a full england international - but, has the potential to become quickly one of the better players at this level, and more importantly an established premier league asset in the future. I think Will is just that next standard up, and in all honesty I don't think Hughes will be that far away from an England call up, perhaps not before THIS world cup, but after it passes and euros and 2018 world cup come in mind - I think he'll be in the 'next batch' of players. 

i don't really understand why people think he won't boss defenders around at first team level? obviously its going to be more difficult and the championship is a tough, competitive and physical league and initially it going to be difficult but at 17 he hasn't stopped growing either. he will (should) become faster, strong and more agile as well as learning from the pros around him and through coaching to turn defenders and deal with the rough stuff. or am i totally mistaken and when a player hits 17 all coaching is dropped, all growing is stopped and they activate a little switch that stops them gaining anymore intelligence of the game?

I agree that Will looks the better player just now and that mason has a lot to learn but clearly the lad has a lot of ability. i remember watching his debut start v Middlesbrough  that he has good positioning, never stops running and had a fierce shot. at that age he looked raw but more than capable of knocking defenders around which, lets face it, isn't that hard to do!

just give the lad a bit of time, pretty sure he will come good.

I think some people are taking this as an attack on him by me. It's far from that, I would love him to succeed but just thought it was worth sharing what I have heard (or what Eddie believes I have made up).

Go and have a lie down. I just said that you are today's #ITK - with the reverence, belief, acceptance or contempt that brings.

Championship level is his current level, in the next few years I can see him becoming a star of the league and then on to bigger and better things. From what I have seen of him, he has the ability to finish a move off, he knows where the goal is and his shooting accuracy is up there. Reminds me of Defoe, a great eye for goal and unfair criticism of his ability. Mason looks to be stronger and quicker though. If the club works on his timing, positioning and decision making he will be a full England international one day.

Play him in the championship now in every game (starting) and he would get 12 goals easily. 24 teams in the league and he would make the top 20 goal scorers chart. 

Every time he has come on for the first team.

A few times at youth level (where he does still stand out)

Think this only goes to back up my point that the lack of game time that he gets probably goes to show that he is not rated as highly as Hughes or Hendrick, although granted Jeff is a bit older.

Just did a quick check, Will is 15 months older than Mason. If you take last year away Will had made 3 first team appearances, Mason has made 17 (according to wiki), I'm not saying you are wrong but the logic you are using is flawed

Archived