Mason Bennett

FeedTheFish

Out of interest (and probably something for another thread really). Last couple of seasons we had the likes of Hendrick, Bennett, O'Brian and Highes break through from the youth team. We're still obviously viewed as a good place for youth to be and develop, hence the loans, but I there anyone on the verge if breaking through this season. Who is the next, next big thing? Or is there something sinister happening with the youth set up (which then brings it back to the point, if the youth setup isn't what it was under Clough, could that be a catalyst to people on the fringe, like Bennett, wanting away)?

From what I've seen, Jamie Hanson and Max Lowe are the two most likely to make the step up next. Hanson is a deep-lying CB, almost a sweeper. Got a hell of a long pass on him, reads the play well (provides good cover for the full backs) and is very vocal. Think he was on the bench for the last game of the season against Millwall.

Lowe plays left back. Very quick from what I've seen. Been capped for England U17.

It's worth remembering that Bennett still plays for the U18 team with Hanson, Lowe etc so when we see him on the bench for the senior squad so regularly, we must remember he's well ahead of his peers.

The U18 are playing at the iPro on Thursday night in the FA Youth Cup. It's only a couple of quid to get in (free if you're a ST holder) and it's well worth it to get a look at the next crop of players.

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From what I've seen, Jamie Hanson and Max Lowe are the two most likely to make the step up next. Hanson is a deep-lying CB, almost a sweeper. Got a hell of a long pass on him, reads the play well (provides good cover for the full backs) and is very vocal. Think he was on the bench for the last game of the season against Millwall.

Lowe plays left back. Very quick from what I've seen. Been capped for England U17.

It's worth remembering that Bennett still plays for the U18 team with Hanson, Lowe etc so when we see him on the bench for the senior squad so regularly, we must remember he's well ahead of his peers.

The U18 are playing at the iPro on Thursday night in the FA Youth Cup. It's only a couple of quid to get in (free if you're a ST holder) and it's well worth it to get a look at the next crop of players.

Hanson is fantastic at set pieces, better than anyone else in our current match day squad. Lowe has made it onto the bench a couple of times. The fact that we have stuck it out with Forsyth and not brought in back up shows to me how highly thought of Lowe must be. 

It would be interesting to see if we ever decide to change our formation in the next year or so to include Hanson as a sweeper. 

The game the U18's play is very different to the senior squad though. A lot of attacks start with a long ball from Hanson towards striker Kwame Thomas (tall but still not physically powerful enough to play the target man role). There's not much of the passing/link up play which we see from the likes of Hughes, Bryson and Martin. I think the youth players would have to train with the senior squad an awful lot to get used to the change of style, or we need to impose a style throughout all age levels of the academy (a la Barca) so it becomes simply the way we play from U15 all the way up to the first team.

Archived