Mason Bennett

FeedTheFish

Championship level is his current level, in the next few years I can see him becoming a star of the league and then on to bigger and better things. From what I have seen of him, he has the ability to finish a move off, he knows where the goal is and his shooting accuracy is up there. Reminds me of Defoe, a great eye for goal and unfair criticism of his ability. Mason looks to be stronger and quicker though. If the club works on his timing, positioning and decision making he will be a full England international one day.

Play him in the championship now in every game (starting) and he would get 12 goals easily. 24 teams in the league and he would make the top 20 goal scorers chart.

Finally, somebody who knows there football.

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree we don't have a clue what level he is at as he has only played a few games. Has he done 90mins yet? So why are we debating how good he is or will be. Why don't we just let him settle and of he breaks into the team we know he is decent and take it from there. Currently he is behind Martin, Russell, salmon, ward and it looks like Jacobs so he has a long way to go

I think it is much harder for Mason because he is a striker. There is so much pressure and all anyone looks at is the goals scored. Also Bennett, when playing for the first team, tends to be played in a wider role and not upfront which again limits his chances.

For those asking about his performances outside of the first team he is playing really well in the under 21s (from the extended highlights on rams player i should point out, no ITK :) ) there is a goal in pre season where he picks up the ball out on the left and takes it past 3 or 4 before scoring. Also I saw him play for England under 18/19s not sure at Burton got 2 assists from memory and was easily the best player there so he is progressing but as someone pointed out Will has a year on Mason so Mason could come through this year but again we have an abundance of strikers now whereas with will he was able to start at Left Midfield and work his way in.

Finally players grow at different speeds, there doesn't always have to be this comparison between Hughes' progression and Mason's.

Just did a quick check, Will is 15 months older than Mason. If you take last year away Will had made 3 first team appearances, Mason has made 17 (according to wiki), I'm not saying you are wrong but the logic you are using is flawed

Agreed, hadn't realised the age difference.

However this time next year I doubt we will be reflecting on Bennetts first full season as a first team player. If anything I think we will be reading reports of his loan performances at a lower league club.

Agreed, hadn't realised the age difference.

However this time next year I doubt we will be reflecting on Bennetts first full season as a first team player. If anything I think we will be reading reports of his loan performances at a lower league club.

Bit like David beckham, Defoe, terry, and even Lionel messi played 32 games in the lower leagues with the Barcelona feeder team before making the break in the first team.

A loan thing would not be a bad thing, in Spain most of their internationals start off at a feeder club to gain experience.

On this will vs mason thing that seems to have developed, think the general feeling is Will is the better prospect however I remember someone asking Wenger a question once to compare Fabregas and Wilshere. He was asked why he played Cesc at 16 and waited much longer with Jack.

He said it was because Cesc based his game on passing while Jack was more of a dribbler with a good burst of pace, he said it is much easier for a player of Cesc's nature to make an impact at a young age as the obvious physical disadvantage is less obvious.

I just hope they both make it big, will and mason that is obviously, the other two are already quite good.

• 1 month later...

Just watched Bennett's interview on YouTube from the other day. He seems so much more mature then he did a couple of years ago, it's staggering. I really do think his exposure to the first team has developed him a lot. Credit Nigel.

It was a good little interview wasn't it?

Especially liked the bit where he said it was a dream of his to play alongside Will, they've grown up together.

Good Lad Mason, hopefully you'll stay as grounded as that.

I would like to see Bennett go out on loan to a local club ( a chesterfield like club).

Get him some games week in week out which would be a bit more competitive than under 21 games and add a bit more of a physical aspect to his game and 'toughen' him up a bit.

I would like to see Bennett go out on loan to a local club ( a chesterfield like club).

Get him some games week in week out which would be a bit more competitive than under 21 games and add a bit more of a physical aspect to his game and 'toughen' him up a bit.

Why do you want him to go out on loan when he's coming off the bench and scoring goals for Derby?

Just watched Bennett's interview on YouTube from the other day. He seems so much more mature then he did a couple of years ago, it's staggering. I really do think his exposure to the first team has developed him a lot. Credit Nigel.

I'm sure basically having an adult's job for a year before he's even 17 is a contributing factor, I'd like to think I matured a bit between 15 and 17, but I guess you'd have to ask my mum.

I'll get her on here some time.

I'm sure basically having an adult's job for a year before he's even 17 is a contributing factor, I'd like to think I matured a bit between 15 and 17, but I guess you'd have to ask my mum.

I'll get her on here some time.

Pictures first to see if she is "fit for purpose" ;)

Mason has fantastic potential. GStar was correct in that he has got where he is today not just with talent but also his physical size and early development. There will be no doubt this has assisted him through the youth set up and he will have stood out. I have seen it many times where big lads dominate only to be caught up at U18/21 level.

Mason is in the perfect place for him right now.. A manager who is not affraid to play you whatever your age..

It's upto him now, he has probably had a fairly easy ride through the youth system but now he is with the men he will need to push on to another level.

Archived