Lee Grant

sage

I am with Moystn on this one though...

I look at it this way, for first team players going into next season (our players)

2 goalkeepers

0 Left Backs

3 Centre Backs (4 if you count Barker)

3 Right Backs

1 Right Mid (2 depends on Bavies signing)

3 Centre midfielders

2 Left Midfielders

3 strikers (assuming Tyson and Robinson leave) 

You look at that and say, need couple left backs, a centre back, a right midfielder, perhaps a centre midfielder and a couple strikers, goalkeeper wouldn't be last on my list but we've got 2 fine keepers, Lee Grant has been excellent this season and picked up a POTY award in the process, and we all know how much Clough loves a good POTY signing - and, he would be a good signing, but there are other priorities. 

Although Im being a bit pedantic here, we actually have 3 left backs at the club, or 2 left backs a versatile player.

Don't forget we have Hoganson, and Max Lowe who won scholar of the year, I know hes a young lad but if your good enough your old enough right? Also Freeman can play left back. The problem lies in that as it stands none of them would be my first choice pick to play at left back so we certainly need to bring 1 in.

• Replies 455
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Although Im being a bit pedantic here, we actually have 3 left backs at the club, or 2 left backs a versatile player.

Don't forget we have Hoganson, and Max Lowe who won scholar of the year, I know hes a young lad but if your good enough your old enough right? Also Freeman can play left back. The problem lies in that as it stands none of them would be my first choice pick to play at left back so we certainly need to bring 1 in.

Hoganson would need to vastly improve even to be considered a back-up left back for a top 6 side, and it is first team choices only and in their primary positions.

Freeman could well be first choice right back next season (if brayford goes) so I would think Aiden White and Forsyth will both be targeted in the summer, particularly white who has been Clough's first choice for the past 12 months. 

Who are our 3 right backs? Brayford, Freeman and ?

Back to Lee Grant though. I always laugh when a goalie get POTY award as it generally means you've had a terrible season. Keepers only shine if they are constantly being called into action by a poor back four (remind which "stalwart" plays in Burnley's defence this season?)

Like our doomed season in the Prem - Bywater had the best shot-saving stats, purely because he had so many shots to save

Back to Lee Grant though. I always laugh when a goalie get POTY award as it generally means you've had a terrible season. Keepers only shine if they are constantly being called into action by a poor back four (remind which "stalwart" plays in Burnley's defence this season?)

Like our doomed season in the Prem - Bywater had the best shot-saving stats, purely because he had so many shots to save

"http://i364.photobucket.com/albums/oo87/getbig_ttt/picardsurprisedx0" alt="picardsurprisedx0">

our third right back, guesses on a post card (although he has been injured for a ridiculously long time) 

O'Connor? Is he a right back? I forget!

Yeah, a good championship right back - a pretty pants centre back. 

From what I remember, he was a very good footballing player too.. perhaps could be deployed into a CDM role, but i've said that about Sammon.. I think basically, anyone that can plug THAT gap late on in games deserves a bloody medal! 

Did we play him at right back ever? I only remember him being a ropey CB and an abysmal LB performace against Leicester

Nope, he put in a tremendous shift against Forest at left back for the last 20 minutes or so and killed the game completely. 

His leicester performance was nearly as bad as Naylor's performance at left back against scunny - I think playing people out of position at left back as haunted us enough, I'd sign 3 just to be cautious!  :lol:

Did he really? That does surprise me. I remember being critical of Bywater before he got ditched and sent to Ipswich in favour of Carroll. At the time I remember thinking that goalies at the bottom end of the table generally made a name for themselves (Carson, Foster and Hart had on loan) as they get a lot of opportunities to make saves in adverse circumstances.

I don't remember Bywater looking anything other than lost in the Premier League, sadly he wasn't the only one!

Did he really? That does surprise me. I remember being critical of Bywater before he got ditched and sent to Ipswich in favour of Carroll. At the time I remember thinking that goalies at the bottom end of the table generally made a name for themselves (Carson, Foster and Hart had on loan) as they get a lot of opportunities to make saves in adverse circumstances.

I don't remember Bywater looking anything other than lost in the Premier League, sadly he wasn't the only one!

Were we not very good in the Prem? I don't seem to have any memory of that season at all...

Looks like he could be on his way!

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/burnley_fc/news/10395216.Burnley_face_Ram_raid_for_keeper_Grant/

MIDFIELDER Dean Marney has signed a new two-year deal with Burnley, but the Clarets look set to lose player of the season Lee Grant in the summer.

The club’s quest to cut the wage bill has led to lengthy negotiations with players whose contracts were due to expire after this season.

Of the seven senior squad figures up for renewal, so far only three have re-signed on similar or reduced terms.

Marney is the latest to commit to the club, following on from winger Ross Wallace and young defender Kevin Long, who have also both penned two-year extensions.

Michael Duff has trigged a 12-month extension, based on appearances, but the futures of midfielder Chris McCann, striker Martin Paterson and goalkeepers Brian Jensen and Grant have yet to be finalised.

It was believed progress was being made with Grant.

But Derby County appear to have stolen a march on their Championship rivals.

The 30-year-old, who pipped top scorer Charlie Austin to the supporters’ clubs’ player of the year prize this week, is understood to be lined up for a return to Pride Park, where he came through the youth ranks to launch his professional career.

Grant could end the season as Burnley’s only ever present in the league on Saturday. The former Sheffield Wednesday keeper has contributed to 11 clean sheets in 45 Championship games so far.

Speaking after picking up four of the supporters’ club branches player of the year prizes, compared to Austin’s three, he said: “I wasn’t expecting it at all to be honest.

“Probably along with the rest of the lads you’re just presuming Charlie and his goals he’s going to clean up, so I’m obviously delighted.”

He admitted the Clarets’ top scorer had helped to bring out the best in his own performance this season.

“I’ve certainly made use of Charlie this year, with penalties most definitely,” said the stopper.

“It’s something I’ve learnt, when you’ve got someone with the ability he has you want to draw on that. It’s not just Charlie, there are a couple of other lads that I spend a lot of time working with after training.

“It’s been good. It’s just a case of learning, training habits and taking different things (on board) and I think that’s maybe something that I didn’t do at first. It’s something I’ve made a point of doing a bit more so this year.”

But, a firm believer that goalkeepers improve with age, he is adamant the best is yet to come.

“It’s a bit of a boring one because everyone says it, but it’s probably true,” he added.

“I’d like to think I’m only halfway through my career in terms of the length of time I want to play so hopefully things will continue to get better for me,” said Grant, who aspires to have the career longevity that peers including Brad Friedel and Neil Sullivan have enjoyed.

“I do, yes, because those guys have obviously played at the top level and they’re doing it at 40-plus.

“I’m looking to try to do the same thing in terms of the length of time I want to continue to play.

“I certainly look at those guys for inspiration.”

Meanwhile, Burnley’s recruitment reshuffle has been hit by the exit of senior scout Lee Maybury. The former Portsmouth scout is understood to have resigned on Tuesday, just three months after being promoted, and is set to join Stoke City’s European scouting network next week.

Archived