Lee Grant

sage

• Replies 455
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very interesting, about a month ago no-one would have predicted a new keeper would top the list of potential signings.

Always liked Grant in his spell with us, hopefully has grown in confidence and stature.

If it's true it would certainly fit the 'experienced' quality Championship label being banded around.

Doubt it'll be tomorrow though...

if it was him and morch, and then lego and fielding both sold what sort of fee would we be looking at for the two £1.5-£2 for the pair??

would certainly give some funds to strengthen if they arent planning on selling hughes

Burnley fans can't stnd him, must adit I'm quite put off by him nowadays, I did rate him when he was first here though.

these ones seem able to stand him:

http://boards.footymad.net/forum.php?tno=104&fid=297&sty=2&act=1&mid=2112966172&page=1

"probably the best we've had in my time watching"

"consistently excellent performances from Jason Shackell and Lee Grant"

"Emergence of Lee Grant as our clear No.1.keeper."

"The emergence of a back 5 of Grant, Trips, Long Shackell and Mee/Lafferty which (if Grant resigned) is a viable unit at this level for the foreseeable future"

"The excellent form of Grant this season and the absence of shouts of "Beast"."

Note "This season." In recent years he has not been in favour with them, he is not great with crosses and though a decent shot stopper, he's not a great organiser either. It's something they get on his back for.

This one would seem a tad underwhelming when we have decent shot stoppers in Fielding and Legdzins to suit our purposes, but if Clough thinks he's a better option than those two then fair enough.

Swapping and changing keepers, each season, what's the point?

Fielding is five years younger than Grant, not reached his peak yet and now because he lacks an agility (or two) we flog him. Why don't we put our coaches to use and actually improve the lad? He was gonna be a future England international at one point according to some on here, what went wrong?

Legzdins is another, people raved about him earlier in the season and now a 30 year old ex rams player is much better? Jesus!

Interested to read another post on their forum:

'Strikers you would like us to look at next season

James Vaughan - been on fire at Huddersfield on loan
Jose Baxter - Another former Everton youngster who has also been a shining light in a team down the bottom
Paddy Madden - Fantastic record at Yeovil
Sylvan Ebanks Blake - Out of contract at Wolves and recovering from injury. Plenty of goals at this level. Definitely won't move above the championship.
Kevin Doyle - Not as unrealistic as it may have been two or three seasons ago.
Will Grigg - Good record at Walsall and out of contract this summer'.

A familiar sounding list eh?!

Going back to the subject, i'd prefer Fielding out of him, Legzdins and Grant - doesn't have the height but agile and evokes more confidence in his general demeanour, which is important for this position.

I don't really have a problem with either of the keepers at the moment and I like the fact that they give each other competition.

The only reason I could see for shuffling the goalies would be to save some money/generate some for use elsewhere in the squad

They are both distinctly average with not a lot to choose between them, if it were a case of choosing between a Shilton and a Clemence I could see your point

I'd be very happy if we got Grant back. At 30 he is in his prime as a keeper. An experienced keeper would help the back 4 to be more solid generally, its not just the saves he makes

I'd let Frankie go, but I'd like to keep Legzdins. I think he is a young keeper with considerable potential for improvement and you need 2 good keepers

Burnley fans can't stnd him, must adit I'm quite put off by him nowadays, I did rate him when he was first here though.

I can't a warning for suggesting someone may or may not be racist on here, however, it's documented that Burnley is a town with lots of intolerant (to other races) inhabitants. My cousin is good mates with Granty and says he's been racially abused oop there.

Archived