Lee Grant

sage

• Replies 455
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Because the goalkeeping department isn't where we need strenghening the most, we now how 7 keepers, so we need to soft at least 2, it reminds me of the situation when Man City had 8 strikers. Our priority should be a striker who is actually capable of scoring goals and a good right midfielder if that isn't painfully obvious.

I am also not impugning Grant, he's obviously a very good keeper I just think our number one target should be a striker because its obvious Sammon and Martin are not the answers to our problems, I can only hope we sign a Will Grigg or a Johnny Russel when Tyson and Robinson go.

That's just it though, I don't think the striker department is the most important. I've already said that with Grant in goal this season rather than a mixture of Fielding and Legzdins, we'd be much better off and perhaps in the play-offs. Isn't that what we want? We have Ward who can get 20 goals, Sammon and Martin could also get 20 goals each if they have good seasons...so to me that department isn't all that important. I'd actually put a right winger and left back ahead of a striker and even then a good goal keeper makes the most difference to a team imo. Grant number one signing? For me, yes.

That's just it though, I don't think the striker department is the most important. I've already said that with Grant in goal this season rather than a mixture of Fielding and Legzdins, we'd be much better off and perhaps in the play-offs. Isn't that what we want? We have Ward who can get 20 goals, Sammon and Martin could also get 20 goals each if they have good seasons...so to me that department isn't all that important. I'd actually put a right winger and left back ahead of a striker and even then a good goal keeper makes the most difference to a team imo. Grant number one signing? For me, yes.

You seriously think Sammon and Martin can get 20 goals each? And Ward is periodically injured so as much as I'd like him to get 20 goals I think his hamstring will be the death of him. Although I do agree grant is more solid than Fielding and the Latvian.

In regard to Deeney, I would presume we're just free-ing up wages and reverting to the strategy as having Deeney as a back-up to release funds towards other positions. 

Not the worst thing in the world to do, we've done it before with Deeney. It does mean relying on loans once Grant gets injured or totally loses form, as Deeney is indeed absolutely no competition for him. 

You seriously think Sammon and Martin can get 20 goals each? And Ward is periodically injured so as much as I'd like him to get 20 goals I think his hamstring will be the death of him. Although I do agree grant is more solid than Fielding and the Latvian.

Yes, IF they have good seasons they could get the goals, though as Cardiff have proven this season who needs a 20+ striker? A good right winger would make up for some of the goals that the strikers can't get, and if Ward stays fit he'll do the same on the left. It's all ifs and buts though eh?

Fielding to Birmingham + Burke coming our way

Baptise

Vaughan

Grant

Martin

Forsyth

That doesn't excite me too much, replace Vaughan with Russell and Martin with Grigg, and Forsyth with Cresswell who is a FREE!!! There's a play off team.

'The grass is always greener' springs to mind.

Aaron Cresswell is contracted to Ipswich until 2015, and that's not from a recent extension that was back in 2011, no idea where you've got the impression he'd be free - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/15494519

Saul Deeney must be the luckiest guy in football, getting paid a decent wage to do feck all and when a player gets injured they don't bother playing him or he picks up an "injury", not really a number 2 keeper but a 2.5 so to speak.

The only keeper that springs to mind who had a similar situation was Steve Harper

Fielding to Birmingham + Burke coming our way

Baptise

Vaughan

Grant

Martin

Forsyth

That doesn't excite me too much, replace Vaughan with Russell and Martin with Grigg, and Forsyth with Cresswell who is a FREE!!! There's a play off team.

Aaron Cresswell is 23, he is not free regardless of his contract situation.

Archived