Lee Grant

sage

Goalkeeper agrees three-year deal to become Derby County's first summer signing.

Derby County have quickly moved to make their first summer signing by agreeing to sign Burnley goalkeeper Lee Grant.

The 30-year-old, who began his career with Derby, has agreed to join the Rams from their npower Championship rivals effective from 1st July 2013, after turning down the offer of a new contract with the Clarets in order to join Nigel Clough's side.

The former England Under-21 international was last week named as Burnley's Player of the Season by the Turf Moor faithful and Clough is delighted to have landed the experienced shot-stopper.

Clough said: “Lee knows the Club, he has experience, he has a presence about him and he knows the division very well.

“He is an accomplished and consistent goalkeeper at Championship level and we are delighted he has chosen to join us.

“We wanted that extra experience and presence on the pitch, as well as in the dressing room, and he is exactly what we were looking for.

“Once we knew he was available, it was too good an opportunity to miss.”

Grant joined the Rams as a trainee in 2000 from Watford and made his senior debut in the 2002–03 campaign against Burnley, before picking up the Young Player of the Year Award at the end of the season after playing 30 games.

During his seven years at Pride Park, the shot-stopper made 79 appearances for the Club, and also enjoyed loan spells with Burnley and Oldham Athletic.

Grant’s time at the Rams came to an end in July 2007 when he agreed a three-year deal with Sheffield Wednesday, where he went on to play an integral part in maintaining the Owls’ Championship status during the 2007–08 campaign.

In July 2010, Grant completed a return to his former loan club Burnley; linking up with former Owls boss Brian Laws. 

Grant played his final and 126th game for Burnley last weekend and helped Sean Dyche’s side to a 2-0 victory over Ipswich Town.

The goalkeeper left the field to a standing ovation after being substituted in the 90th minute, to allow Brian Jensen some match time in his testimonial year with the Clarets. - http://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/article/derby-to-re-sign-grant-811657.aspx

• Replies 455
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey guys, Burnley fan here!

Just wondered how you lot felt about this? I'm very sorry to see Grant go, good keeper, consistent and will be missed.

Good luck next season and hopefully we can get a keeper sorted soon as we have none now Grant and Brian Jensen have left! haha.

Peace! 

Keepers can go on till their late 70's though...

Sign Shilts up - he's not going anywhere.

Well, not in his car, anyway.

I actually beg to differ in this case

If we've just picked up an experienced  £1m keeper on a free transfer, whilst having two current first choice keepers on the books going into their final year of contract – do you really think that a buying club is going to offer us a good price for either of them?

They will know we need to get rid, and the price will reflect that – otherwise they will just walk away and their contracts run down, or we pay them off early.

I reckon we could have got the best part of £1m for the pair of them, but that won't happen now if we haven't already got it sorted as part of the Grant deal

I don't think that both will go anyway, and neither should they (unless they don't fancy a fight for a first-tem place). One will, one probably won't.

What we may have seen here is a statement of intent from Sam Rush - a determination to demonstrate to the faithful (and the faithless) that under his stewardship / CEOship / whatevership, the intention is for Derby County to go somewhere.

Of course, that might just be blind, unsubstantiated optimism on my part. 

Anyone else find it odd that the Lee Grant deal has been an open secret for a good week or so, yet there have been no corresponding rumours around ANYONE at all being interested in our surplus keepers?

If we haven't got a deal sewn up for at least one of them then SR is really not the transfer market clever dick he makes out he is

Maybe one or both involved in part exchange deals that are close to being tied up and we don't want to/can't announce them yet.

Fielding to Brum with Burke coming the other way has been touted often enough to be a possiblity.

Maybe one or both involved in part exchange deals that are close to being tied up and we don't want to/can't announce them yet. Fielding to Brum with Burke coming the other way has been touted often enough to be a possiblity.
The same Burke that just signed a contract extension?

Hey guys, Burnley fan here!

Just wondered how you lot felt about this? I'm very sorry to see Grant go, good keeper, consistent and will be missed.

Good luck next season and hopefully we can get a keeper sorted soon as we have none now Grant and Brian Jensen have left! haha.

Peace! 

Delighted - I always rated him and was sorry he ever left here in the first place. Best wishes for next season.

Means that a fee would be involved, that's all.

I'm not saying it's going to happen but yeah I think it's a possibility.

I think Birmingham took up the option of the extra year on his contract. That doesn't rule out him leaving by any stretch.

I'm not saying it's going to happen but yeah I think it's a possibility. I think Birmingham took up the option of the extra year on his contract. That doesn't rule out him leaving by any stretch.
Have to say that my be a footballing 1st if that does happen lol

Just listened to his interview on Rams Player, funny quote was "I'm only 30, that's half way through my goalkeeping career" (Something along the lines of that)

He's going to go until he's 60 then?  :lol:

Not unless he started goalkeeping as soon as he dropped out of his mother!

Archived