Lee Grant

sage

• Replies 455
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone else find it odd that the Lee Grant deal has been an open secret for a good week or so, yet there have been no corresponding rumours around ANYONE at all being interested in our surplus keepers?

If we haven't got a deal sewn up for at least one of them then SR is really not the transfer market clever dick he makes out he is

There have been rumours on here of Fielding to Birmingham and Legzdins to Newcastle

Just a thought....what if we were to loan out one of our keepers rather than selling them both?

As GreenRam said, there's been no concrete rumours at all about our current keepers but I'm sure there would be takers for a loan deal. Neither of them will be happy to sit on the bench and NC might still want to keep one for the future. Grant isn't exactly a spring chicken anymore.

Just a thought....what if we were to loan out one of our keepers rather than selling them both?

As GreenRam said, there's been no concrete rumours at all about our current keepers but I'm sure there would be takers for a loan deal. Neither of them will be happy to sit on the bench and NC might still want to keep one for the future. Grant isn't exactly a spring chicken anymore.

Keepers can go on till their late 70's though...

Anyone else find it odd that the Lee Grant deal has been an open secret for a good week or so, yet there have been no corresponding rumours around ANYONE at all being interested in our surplus keepers?

If we haven't got a deal sewn up for at least one of them then SR is really not the transfer market clever dick he makes out he is

long time until the season starts. No need to rush.

Really?!?!?! Have they been letting the cast of Geordie Shore pick their transfer targets or something?

Only saying what has been rumoured on here.

I'm afraid your humour is wasted on me...no idea who or what Geordie Shore are!

Only saying what has been rumoured on here.

I'm afraid your humour is wasted on me...no idea who or what Geordie Shore are!

I'll stick with something less referential of annoying/awful/painful reality shows then...

Has Alan Pardew been hitting the crack pipe again?

long time until the season starts. No need to rush.

I actually beg to differ in this case

If we've just picked up an experienced  £1m keeper on a free transfer, whilst having two current first choice keepers on the books going into their final year of contract – do you really think that a buying club is going to offer us a good price for either of them?

They will know we need to get rid, and the price will reflect that – otherwise they will just walk away and their contracts run down, or we pay them off early.

I reckon we could have got the best part of £1m for the pair of them, but that won't happen now if we haven't already got it sorted as part of the Grant deal

I actually beg to differ in this case

If we've just picked up an experienced £1m keeper on a free transfer, whilst having two current first choice keepers on the books going into their final year of contract – do you really think that a buying club is going to offer us a good price for either of them?

They will know we need to get rid, and the price will reflect that – otherwise they will just walk away and their contracts run down, or we pay them off early.

I reckon we could have got the best part of £1m for the pair of them, but that won't happen now if we haven't already got it sorted as part of the Grant deal

all depends on how desperate a club needs a keeper. Burnley now have no keepers. The could come in with a bid for Lego and wouldn't be in a position to wait for a contract to run out. Birmingham will need a keeper now butland's gone. The GK is the most important position on the pitch and we have 2 good keepers for this division if the plan is to loan or sell them it'll probably happen.

I don't think so because they both into there last year of their contracts. I think signing of Grant was based of football and business in mind

do you really think that a buying club is going to offer us a good price for either of them?

I totally agree... we won't... but who cares? We just signed a keeper who is probably as good as either of them for nowt, so any money we get for them gives us a tidy little profit right?

Well fingers crossed, but it could be a risky strategy

Fielding and Lego cost us about 600-700k between them, Grant is on a free so (ignoring any signing on fees and wages) a tidy profit would be anything more than that. If they go for less  then that's a tidy loss

Or maybe it suggests we don't have to sell to buy like we used to? Maybe SR has persuaded the board to get the replacement first, then sell, so we're not caught short like in seasons past.

Archived