Q and A with Sam rush

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Think i've said this before but i've never understood why we always seem to 'aim for the playoffs'.

Wouldn't it be better to aim for the top 2? Or champions?

May seem obvious but thats what 'winners' would do.

Who said that we were 'aiming for the playoffs'?

Sorry this is late, I wrote it this morning but had to rush off before I had chance to send it.

I ended up going to the Matlock one, would honestly say they are well worth going to. As long as people say the right questions and are open minded to what is being said then it makes for a good atmosphere. There was no real Sammon bashing (which had been the case at some other pubs it seems) or criticism of the board etc which just lead to interesting questions and responses. Sam talks very well and is very honest about his opinions on players and the board. With this there are two key differences between him and Glick, I think Rush has a lot of ambition and a bit more of a fighting attitude to achieve goals. The other is that I think he talks like a supporter.

Cant remember all of what was said, and would not really like to put quotes to Rush which may or may not be what he exactly said. So please dont take this all as gospel:

-Hughes wont go unless big money and a loan back next season, can only see Hughes being interested in a big move to a top team but can't see Man City wanting to move for a player who is not the finished product. Think he said he would be surprised if Hughes isn't here next season

-Brayford, I dont think he can guarantee anything for next season. He said they will try their best to keep him. Mentioned Clough and Bray have a very good relationship over a number of years which could be a factor in making him stay. But also admitted realistically that Bray is probably Premiership class now. 

-Robinson and Tyson, both wanted to go out on loan. Could not hear this very well but I think he said Robinson feels he should have been starting games and may not be coming back (not a falling out I dont think, but something is in place for summer?). Tyson they think will be back because he hasnt been able to do much at Millwall, there is a deal in place for him to go permanently in summer, but doubts Millwall will take it up now.

-Squad, most will be offered new contracts (as we saw with Freeman today) it seems. I think he only said Deeney will move on. Ben Davies he expects to be here next season, and I presume Roberts too. Also confirmed Doyle would be offered a new contract. Basically said 'Clough came to me saying I want one more year to look at Doyle, he's top scorer for u21's and he is not on high wages. Then that is not a big risk. Now if he came to me and said I want to give another year to Tyson who is on a higher wage, then has to be more consideration'. Also compared Doyle to Hogansen, who is at a similar level but yet doesnt have the same criticism.

-Next year, play off is the minimum expectation, he said Clough has gone through the hard work now and its time for Derby to become exciting again. The idea, I think, is in the summer to get five signings in (from reading between the lines, this will be a Martin, Forsyth, a experienced tough central defender, a strong midfielder and another striker). The belief is that this should kick Derby on into the play off places, then there will be movement in loans (Rush said he was a big advocate) or transfers to maintain us into play offs or even better.

Got the idea that Rush thinks we are very close to maintaining a serious push, the general consensus agreed with him last night. I would too, but we maybe could have said that this time last year before the Shackell and Davies had left. One thing Rush did say, that he doesnt want to be saying the same things next year. 

There was some stuff about attendances and pricing John Vicars mostly talked about. Cant remember most of it, but dont think there was anything we hadnt heard before.

The only problem we really had was that the pub obviously did not care for it, letting people by the bar have loud conversations over what Sam, John and Faye were saying. There were only around 30 people (I guess) there who had all bought a drink, maybe with a bit more respect we would have bought a few more.

Sorry this is late, I wrote it this morning but had to rush off before I had chance to send it.

I ended up going to the Matlock one, would honestly say they are well worth going to. As long as people say the right questions and are open minded to what is being said then it makes for a good atmosphere. There was no real Sammon bashing (which had been the case at some other pubs it seems) or criticism of the board etc which just lead to interesting questions and responses. Sam talks very well and is very honest about his opinions on players and the board. With this there are two key differences between him and Glick, I think Rush has a lot of ambition and a bit more of a fighting attitude to achieve goals. The other is that I think he talks like a supporter.

Cant remember all of what was said, and would not really like to put quotes to Rush which may or may not be what he exactly said. So please dont take this all as gospel:

-Hughes wont go unless big money and a loan back next season, can only see Hughes being interested in a big move to a top team but can't see Man City wanting to move for a player who is not the finished product. Think he said he would be surprised if Hughes isn't here next season

-Brayford, I dont think he can guarantee anything for next season. He said they will try their best to keep him. Mentioned Clough and Bray have a very good relationship over a number of years which could be a factor in making him stay. But also admitted realistically that Bray is probably Premiership class now. 

-Robinson and Tyson, both wanted to go out on loan. Could not hear this very well but I think he said Robinson feels he should have been starting games and may not be coming back (not a falling out I dont think, but something is in place for summer?). Tyson they think will be back because he hasnt been able to do much at Millwall, there is a deal in place for him to go permanently in summer, but doubts Millwall will take it up now.

-Squad, most will be offered new contracts (as we saw with Freeman today) it seems. I think he only said Deeney will move on. Ben Davies he expects to be here next season, and I presume Roberts too. Also confirmed Doyle would be offered a new contract. Basically said 'Clough came to me saying I want one more year to look at Doyle, he's top scorer for u21's and he is not on high wages. Then that is not a big risk. Now if he came to me and said I want to give another year to Tyson who is on a higher wage, then has to be more consideration'. Also compared Doyle to Hogansen, who is at a similar level but yet doesnt have the same criticism.

-Next year, play off is the minimum expectation, he said Clough has gone through the hard work now and its time for Derby to become exciting again. The idea, I think, is in the summer to get five signings in (from reading between the lines, this will be a Martin, Forsyth, a experienced tough central defender, a strong midfielder and another striker). The belief is that this should kick Derby on into the play off places, then there will be movement in loans (Rush said he was a big advocate) or transfers to maintain us into play offs or even better.

Got the idea that Rush thinks we are very close to maintaining a serious push, the general consensus agreed with him last night. I would too, but we maybe could have said that this time last year before the Shackell and Davies had left. One thing Rush did say, that he doesnt want to be saying the same things next year. 

There was some stuff about attendances and pricing John Vicars mostly talked about. Cant remember most of it, but dont think there was anything we hadnt heard before.

The only problem we really had was that the pub obviously did not care for it, letting people by the bar have loud conversations over what Sam, John and Faye were saying. There were only around 30 people (I guess) there who had all bought a drink, maybe with a bit more respect we would have bought a few more.

Good post, I've noticed the same as you in terms of drive and ambition from Rush. 

I think putting a top 6 or break policy is nice to hear, but realistically without major signings it won't happen - forsyth and martin would struggle in a top 6 side, and are only bit part players - with talk about Brayford possibly wanting to leave for a better option, I am a bit skeptical at least, as he is one of our 'top 6' players. 

Higher standards need to be set in play, and wider/broader scouting methods need to be in place. One thing we haven't done very well in recent years is take advantage of the 'bosman' players, which has brought us Commons, Rasiak and Idiakez in the past. 

I thought brayford wanted a new contract.

I ended up going to the Matlock one, would honestly say they are well worth going to. As long as people say the right questions and are open minded to what is being said then it makes for a good atmosphere. There was no real Sammon bashing (which had been the case at some other pubs it seems) or criticism of the board etc which just lead to interesting questions and responses. Sam talks very well and is very honest about his opinions on players and the board. With this there are two key differences between him and Glick, I think Rush has a lot of ambition and a bit more of a fighting attitude to achieve goals. The other is that I think he talks like a supporter.

-Brayford, I dont think he can guarantee anything for next season. He said they will try their best to keep him. Mentioned Clough and Bray have a very good relationship over a number of years which could be a factor in making him stay. But also admitted realistically that Bray is probably Premiership class now.

-Next year, play off is the minimum expectation, he said Clough has gone through the hard work now and its time for Derby to become exciting again. The idea, I think, is in the summer to get five signings in (from reading between the lines, this will be a Martin, Forsyth, a experienced tough central defender, a strong midfielder and another striker). The belief is that this should kick Derby on into the play off places, then there will be movement in loans (Rush said he was a big advocate) or transfers to maintain us into play offs or even better.

Good write up thanks. for the info.

Good post, I've noticed the same as you in terms of drive and ambition from Rush. 

I think putting a top 6 or break policy is nice to hear, but realistically without major signings it won't happen - forsyth and martin would struggle in a top 6 side, and are only bit part players - with talk about Brayford possibly wanting to leave for a better option, I am a bit skeptical at least, as he is one of our 'top 6' players. 

Higher standards need to be set in play, and wider/broader scouting methods need to be in place. One thing we haven't done very well in recent years is take advantage of the 'bosman' players, which has brought us Commons, Rasiak and Idiakez in the past. 

Very much agree with the last part there are players who have been in good form that are free in the summer Will Grigg to name one.

Um.....i was tempted to go to that one. I was driving past at 8.10 but thought i wouldn't be too popular when the tea burnt to a crisp.

Another year for doyle? Kinell.

Very much agree with the last part there are players who have been in good form that are free in the summer Will Grigg to name one.

In all honesty, I think we should shop for players who are out of form - this would be my method if I was a manager of a small budget championship club. Let's face it, the championship see's players going in and out of form - going from nobodies to heroes back to nobodies in months. 

If a player is technically good enough, but things just aren't ticking for him - then you get a potential bargain! especially goalscorers...

In the summer you could of easily picked Glen Murray up for less than a million pound he played 38 games scoring 6 goals last season, this is just an example - I could use this example for people to back sammon, but I won't  :ph34r:

This is where a manager with a keen eye comes in, I was hoping that we could nab McGugan from under their nose, because he has a lot of ability, inconsistent and will hide but his ability is second to none. 

Archived