Q and A with Sam rush

I'm delighted Sam Rush has done this. How many other football CEO's would come down to the local pub  and talk publicly with fans regarding plans and details with players, transfers etc. I wonder if Al-Hasawi would do the same with the forest fans.

On second thoughts, he is a Muslim gentleman so that ruins my argument slightly....

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm delighted Sam Rush has done this. How many other football CEO's would come down to the local pub and talk publicly with fans regarding plans and details with players, transfers etc. I wonder if Al-Hasawi would do the same with the forest fans.

On second thoughts, he is a Muslim gentleman so that ruins my argument slightly....

he could sit in local kebab shops and smoke dried fruit through a bong.

Sorry this is late, I wrote it this morning but had to rush off before I had chance to send it.

I ended up going to the Matlock one, would honestly say they are well worth going to. As long as people say the right questions and are open minded to what is being said then it makes for a good atmosphere. There was no real Sammon bashing (which had been the case at some other pubs it seems) or criticism of the board etc which just lead to interesting questions and responses. Sam talks very well and is very honest about his opinions on players and the board. With this there are two key differences between him and Glick, I think Rush has a lot of ambition and a bit more of a fighting attitude to achieve goals. The other is that I think he talks like a supporter.

Cant remember all of what was said, and would not really like to put quotes to Rush which may or may not be what he exactly said. So please dont take this all as gospel:

-Hughes wont go unless big money and a loan back next season, can only see Hughes being interested in a big move to a top team but can't see Man City wanting to move for a player who is not the finished product. Think he said he would be surprised if Hughes isn't here next season

-Brayford, I dont think he can guarantee anything for next season. He said they will try their best to keep him. Mentioned Clough and Bray have a very good relationship over a number of years which could be a factor in making him stay. But also admitted realistically that Bray is probably Premiership class now. 

-Robinson and Tyson, both wanted to go out on loan. Could not hear this very well but I think he said Robinson feels he should have been starting games and may not be coming back (not a falling out I dont think, but something is in place for summer?). Tyson they think will be back because he hasnt been able to do much at Millwall, there is a deal in place for him to go permanently in summer, but doubts Millwall will take it up now.

-Squad, most will be offered new contracts (as we saw with Freeman today) it seems. I think he only said Deeney will move on. Ben Davies he expects to be here next season, and I presume Roberts too. Also confirmed Doyle would be offered a new contract. Basically said 'Clough came to me saying I want one more year to look at Doyle, he's top scorer for u21's and he is not on high wages. Then that is not a big risk. Now if he came to me and said I want to give another year to Tyson who is on a higher wage, then has to be more consideration'. Also compared Doyle to Hogansen, who is at a similar level but yet doesnt have the same criticism.

-Next year, play off is the minimum expectation, he said Clough has gone through the hard work now and its time for Derby to become exciting again. The idea, I think, is in the summer to get five signings in (from reading between the lines, this will be a Martin, Forsyth, a experienced tough central defender, a strong midfielder and another striker). The belief is that this should kick Derby on into the play off places, then there will be movement in loans (Rush said he was a big advocate) or transfers to maintain us into play offs or even better.

Got the idea that Rush thinks we are very close to maintaining a serious push, the general consensus agreed with him last night. I would too, but we maybe could have said that this time last year before the Shackell and Davies had left. One thing Rush did say, that he doesnt want to be saying the same things next year. 

There was some stuff about attendances and pricing John Vicars mostly talked about. Cant remember most of it, but dont think there was anything we hadnt heard before.

The only problem we really had was that the pub obviously did not care for it, letting people by the bar have loud conversations over what Sam, John and Faye were saying. There were only around 30 people (I guess) there who had all bought a drink, maybe with a bit more respect we would have bought a few more.

Thanks for the info!

Hope we keep Bray and get a few players.

In all honesty, I think we should shop for players who are out of form - this would be my method if I was a manager of a small budget championship club. Let's face it, the championship see's players going in and out of form - going from nobodies to heroes back to nobodies in months. 

If a player is technically good enough, but things just aren't ticking for him - then you get a potential bargain! especially goalscorers...

In the summer you could of easily picked Glen Murray up for less than a million pound he played 38 games scoring 6 goals last season, this is just an example - I could use this example for people to back sammon, but I won't  :ph34r:

This is where a manager with a keen eye comes in, I was hoping that we could nab McGugan from under their nose, because he has a lot of ability, inconsistent and will hide but his ability is second to none. 

We probably do what you said anyway. Jamie ward fell out with manager wasn't playing. Paul Coutts captain for a while got dropped and was forced out. In terms of their age and quality bargains. Fielding was a boyhood Blackburn fan had numerous England youth internationals was first choice u21s for a while and wanted first team for his development another bargain saying goalkeepers come good at 28/29.Maghoma at burton would be worth a punt I think he was on the books of spurs as a boy and could just be a late developer gets raving reviews from league 2 fans and is full of confidence going into next season. I would give

burton 2/3 of our good youth players on full season loans to keep the peace.

Thanks for the responses, will be interested to see how the rest of the q and a's go.

Rush also made the point that he is the boards biggest critic and (again, I think. maybe i didnt hear this bit correctly) made no illusion that the owners have money. If he thinks that Derby needs a player, or a loan, then he will be knocking on their door.

I think some people may see this little tour to try and boost season tickets but I'm not so sure Rush is too interested in that if im honest. People did ask these questions and he basically said 'if we are winning, they will come'. So he wants to achieve results, its not about rebuilding its about starting to challenge.

Like I say, I think the idea is to not deplete the squad. They want to add quality to it which I think we will all agree, is a defender, midfielder and striker, with experience. He said 'we are six points off now, with a small squad. If we added that bit of quality, then we could be a lot higher'.

Again, please dont take these quotes word for word. But I think its the general gist

Oh, sorry last bit I can remember which may not have been mentioned.

-IF Hughes had to be sold for the money, all the money would go into the squad (think he said same for Brayford?)

-Did not hear this bit very well but think he said that since Rush had been in his position, they had been able to save or take around £500,000 from one part of the club and put it into the playing side. I could be wrong about this as it doesnt quite make sense somewhere (either I could have heard the figure wrong, or I lost concentration during this bit!)

DCFC Belper The Tavern Q & A

Season Tickets

In the east stand they are making it so you pay more for the good quality seats with the best views which have gone up by about £35. By the best seats this means the central seats, and cheaper for the ones near the corners.

Midfield Situation

Roger Davies made the point of saying who would you drop in the centre of midfield if we were to sign another CM. However it was acknowledged that we need another option, not necessarily to start but maybe an experienced head to come on and slow the game down and keep posession, in games such as Sheffield Wednesday away where we were 2-0 up and had nobody with the composure to dictate the tempo of the game.

Financial Fair Play

Sam Rush described this as a theme and that it was not something that would massively help us, and we are already conforming to the regulations, unlike forest and leicester. Also mentioned was the problem of the teams relegated from the prem with their £22 million parachute payment, however Sam Rush said that this season is a good example of spending more money doesnt necessarily get you a better league position, e.g. wolves and blackburn.

Investment

Rush said because the money has been put into improving the structure of the club and we now have a good foundations, we may see a larger proportion of future investment going into the playing staff.

Loan Players

Rush said that they are very impressed in Forsyth and Martin and hinted that we are already starting to look at agreements. As Forsyth has another year on his contract they are trying to negotiate a fee, and Martin is more difficult as we cant let on we are too keen or Norwich will just extend his contract and demand a fee.

Future Buys

Rush said that Nigel has come to him with a list of positions at this minute rather than in particular names, the positions highlighted were left back, centre back and striker. Rush also said that priorities of signings however are likely to be Forsyth (Rush seems to rate Forsyth very highly) and Martin as they are impressing currently. When it comes to centre back, they said they like Buxton however if him or Keogh were to get injured then there is next to no cover.

Thats more or less what was discussed this evening, i may of missed some slight things but thats what i can remember. My impressions of Rush are that he seems to mean business more than Glick and he is very confident of a top 6 finish next season. He seems to be much more driven to achieve goals and receptive to the fans views. However the only way we will find out is in the summer.

DCFC Belper The Tavern Q & A

Season Tickets

In the east stand they are making it so you pay more for the good quality seats with the best views which have gone up by about £35. By the best seats this means the central seats, and cheaper for the ones near the corners.

Midfield Situation

Roger Davies made the point of saying who would you drop in the centre of midfield if we were to sign another CM. However it was acknowledged that we need another option, not necessarily to start but maybe an experienced head to come on and slow the game down and keep posession, in games such as Sheffield Wednesday away where we were 2-0 up and had nobody with the composure to dictate the tempo of the game.

Financial Fair Play

Sam Rush described this as a theme and that it was not something that would massively help us, and we are already conforming to the regulations, unlike forest and leicester. Also mentioned was the problem of the teams relegated from the prem with their £22 million parachute payment, however Sam Rush said that this season is a good example of spending more money doesnt necessarily get you a better league position, e.g. wolves and blackburn.

Investment

Rush said because the money has been put into improving the structure of the club and we now have a good foundations, we may see a larger proportion of future investment going into the playing staff.

Loan Players

Rush said that they are very impressed in Forsyth and Martin and hinted that we are already starting to look at agreements. As Forsyth has another year on his contract they are trying to negotiate a fee, and Martin is more difficult as we cant let on we are too keen or Norwich will just extend his contract and demand a fee.

Future Buys

Rush said that Nigel has come to him with a list of positions at this minute rather than in particular names, the positions highlighted were left back, centre back and striker. Rush also said that priorities of signings however are likely to be Forsyth (Rush seems to rate Forsyth very highly) and Martin as they are impressing currently. When it comes to centre back, they said they like Buxton however if him or Keogh were to get injured then there is next to no cover.

Thats more or less what was discussed this evening, i may of missed some slight things but thats what i can remember. My impressions of Rush are that he seems to mean business more than Glick and he is very confident of a top 6 finish next season. He seems to be much more driven to achieve goals and receptive to the fans views. However the only way we will find out is in the summer.

Cheers mate!

It's nice not to have that FFP rubbish talked up.

Hope he can be on our side more than Glick was. Glick seemed here to keep us quiet. Rush talks like he's going to try to build bridges. To take on our concerns. At the same time he seems pretty honest about what position we're in.

Brayford to leave? - well he's one of the best RB's outside the PL in this country. Of course there's a chance he'll want to test himself higher up. At least we're not hearing how we're building a young hungry squad that can stay in the PL. sounds more realistic when we're hearing that players like Brayford might have to go for the unfortunately long term greater good. Losing key players to strengthen multiple areas hurts. But I suppose when key sale provides 2/3 half decent players then a few key sales later we will actually see growth

Hughes - Well yeah, works the same for any club. I just hope Derby's idea of big money has got a bit bigger nowadays.

I think some people may see this little tour to try and boost season tickets but I'm not so sure Rush is too interested in that if im honest. People did ask these questions and he basically said 'if we are winning, they will come'. So he wants to achieve results, its not about rebuilding its about starting to challenge.

I've had a couple of conversations with Sam Rush now, and this is a pretty consistent line. He firmly believes that everything will fall into place - finances, atmosphere, attendences etc, if we can do the business on the pitch. The very best marketing is a winning team.

It makes perfect sense to me - although I have no idea how he's going to achieve that without spending big, which looks unlikely, might not work and could even put the club's existence in danger. That, I suppose is why chief execs get paid lots more than most of us.

I've had a couple of conversations with Sam Rush now, and this is a pretty consistent line. He firmly believes that everything will fall into place - finances, atmosphere, attendences etc, if we can do the business on the pitch. The very best marketing is a winning team.

It makes perfect sense to me - although I have no idea how he's going to achieve that without spending big, which looks unlikely, might not work and could even put the club's existence in danger. That, I suppose is why chief execs get paid lots more than most of us.

That is just plain ridiculous and not true.

That is just plain ridiculous and not true.

Of course it's true. If the club could get someone to lend them £200m they could outspend everybody in the league. It might even pay off and get us promoted and then into Europe. However, it could also fail miserably and leave us with debts that are unserviceable. We go into admin, Pride Park gets sold off, Moor Farm closes, all our players have their contracts terminated. We can't fulfil our fixtures and are expelled from the league. Suddenly there is no Derby County.

OK, so it would take some monstorous stupidity, but overspending COULD put the future of the club at risk.

It is my opinion that underspending is equaly as risky as it carries the threat of an unbreakable downward spiral, which coauld also end in administration.

Sam Rush has a difficult job - to get us into the top six by the end of next season, whilst PROBABLY spending less on wages and fees than any other team likely to be in the top ten. Not impossible, but bloody hard.

Archived