When am I allowed to be anti Clough?

TroyDyer

I can generally get a feeling about a manager pretty quickly, but only if it's a definite failure!

I knew within a month that Jewell would be a disaster, I knew within 3 months that whilst Nigel Clough will improve things and wouldn't strictly be a disaster, would struggle to take us to where we want to be. I don't dispute that Nigel has the ability to establish a team in the middle of the table. He would be an ideal manager for a team coming up like Huddersfield. But for me, he hit his 'ceiling' 3 years ago, and it's still the same now.

I never had the feeling about Phil Brown (weirdly) nor George Burley, but I also knew that Gregory would fail.

You do sound like a very clever person 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/rolleyes' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':rolleyes:' />

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Because I've supported the club for 24 years and it's ingrained in me.

I probably worded the question badly. What I mean is, when will others on this forum finally say enough is enough?

That's a good question - you'll obviously get a wide variety of replies.

For me, enough will be enough when Clough has the team good enough to mount a challenge for the top six and doesn't. In my view we have a solid mid table team in a solid mid table position. If we get the reinforcements we need (which IMO are a LB, ST and creative CM) and keep the nucleus of the squad, I expect us to reach the play offs. If he doesn't, and someone else is available to make betterment of the team, then I think it may be time for a change.

If we're in with a shout of finishing in the top six going in to May next year and just miss out, he deserves another season to realise that aim.

For me, enough will be enough when Clough has the team good enough to mount a challenge for the top six and doesn't. In my view we have a solid mid table team in a solid mid table position. If we get the reinforcements we need (which IMO are a LB, ST and creative CM) and keep the nucleus of the squad, I expect us to reach the play offs. If he doesn't, and someone else is available to make betterment of the team, then I think it may be time for a change.

If we're in with a shout of finishing in the top six going in to May next year and just miss out, he deserves another season to realise that aim.

This post right here is 100% correct.

I dont think that sounds irrational, in fact it sounds sensible. But I'm overwhelmed by the knowledge, well, prediction (based on recent history), that we will not get the reinforcements required. Clough will 'make do', thus creating another season of excusing from sympathists like some of the people here.

Some managers just get on with it. With Clough we seem to be in a perpetual state of rebuilding, in spite of him signing about 40 players in 4 years!

I can generally get a feeling about a manager pretty quickly, but only if it's a definite failure!

I knew within a month that Jewell would be a disaster, I knew within 3 months that whilst Nigel Clough will improve things and wouldn't strictly be a disaster, would struggle to take us to where we want to be. I don't dispute that Nigel has the ability to establish a team in the middle of the table. He would be an ideal manager for a team coming up like Huddersfield. But for me, he hit his 'ceiling' 3 years ago, and it's still the same now.

I never had the feeling about Phil Brown (weirdly) nor George Burley, but I also knew that Gregory would fail.

You're a bit of a comedian mate. I envisage you sat at home with a crystal ball predicting the outcome of player interviews and managerial careers, and getting it right more or less every time.

Put the bong down dude and go for a walk.

You're a bit of a comedian mate. I envisage you sat at home with a crystal ball predicting the outcome of player interviews and managerial careers, and getting it right more or less every time.

I bet it was a magic 8 ball.

I bet it was a magic 8 ball.

Why didn't I think of that?! Well played.

In addition to the thread topic, why is it people who want Clough gone always play the victim. I think it's something directly related to their mentality as a whole. Negative fans with negative motives feeling like they are received negatively.

Maybe change your attitude, look at the bigger picture (x1000000) and stop craving everything you demand instantly.

When you go on on holiday, you don't just hop on a plane. You spend all year saving for the bugger.

Because I've supported the club for 24 years and it's ingrained in me.

I probably worded the question badly. What I mean is, when will others on this forum finally say enough is enough?

Some already have...

It's a little bit of a strange question though... In your opinion Nigel should be gone... In mine as long as the team continues to improve little by little I will be happy since that will edge us closer every year to being an established Premier League team...

I turn 30 in May 2015 and would very much like a promotion for my birthday... If I get it early I can also live with that...

Simple question.

After 4 years of him in charge, I am now firmly of the opinion that Nigel is not the man for the job. I have zero excitement going to games to watch the same negative dross, and lack of ambition.

Despite many people around me at PP being of a similar opinion, that stance is seen as ridiculous by many on this forum.

I've only been back on the forums a few days and I've already been called a WUM and a Forest fan, because I think Clough should be replaced for the club to move forward. The fact is, it's the club I love. Not the staff and players. They come and go. And short of signing Lee Hughes or Marlon King, I couldn't give a **** who's here, if we're moving back where we should be.

So I ask you, what will need to happen for you to say enough is enough? It seems to me that in many of your eyes, he's bullet proof.

Will he need to be named in the Savile enquiry or will he actually, finally, be judged on his ability, or lack of?

Question, what would be gained by getting rid of him now.

Can you name one available manager who has a proven track record of working on minimal funding and wage budget who would do any better? What would they do any differently? Why would they benefit the club long term?

There's no reason to go for the boom and bust route while we're clearing moving forward both on and off the field. Patience is a virtue and good things come to those who wait. Sometimes we need to stop acting like children and actually have the faith to allow Nigel to do his job.

Simple question.

After 4 years of him in charge, I am now firmly of the opinion that Nigel is not the man for the job. I have zero excitement going to games to watch the same negative dross, and lack of ambition.

Despite many people around me at PP being of a similar opinion, that stance is seen as ridiculous by many on this forum.

I've only been back on the forums a few days and I've already been called a WUM and a Forest fan, because I think Clough should be replaced for the club to move forward. The fact is, it's the club I love. Not the staff and players. They come and go. And short of signing Lee Hughes or Marlon King, I couldn't give a **** who's here, if we're moving back where we should be.

So I ask you, what will need to happen for you to say enough is enough? It seems to me that in many of your eyes, he's bullet proof.

Will he need to be named in the Savile enquiry or will he actually, finally, be judged on his ability, or lack of?

I'd have thought appearing from nowhere at te same time as someone else and criticise everything on every thread in a 24 hour blitzkrieg is always going to get on peoples nerves. It is having an agenda and ramming it down peoples throats. That isn't debate. Everyone has their own opinion, we wouldn't be here if we didn't like debates, but this approach has frankly looked liked WUMMERY.

I'd have thought appearing from nowhere at te same time as someone else and criticise everything on every thread in a 24 hour blitzkrieg is always going to get on peoples nerves. It is having an agenda and ramming it down peoples throats. That isn't debate. Everyone has their own opinion, we wouldn't be here if we didn't like debates, but this approach has frankly looked liked WUMMERY.

Is WUM a magic word on here? Does it get you into the crystal maze?

So you don't actually disagree with anything I post? Bravo, welcome to reality.

I can understand all the frustration that exists and also it be directed against Clough, the board and players. There is a lot of passion and love for our club in here but what I would like to see is that all that passion would materialize as a phenomenal backing the team on the game day. It is easy to blame everybody but it would be better earned after doing all you can yourself for the club.

If that other person was me, you should look again! I joined this forum at least a year before you.

Archived