When am I allowed to be anti Clough?

TroyDyer

Clough will manage in the Premiership one day, I just hope it's with Derby. I'd also be willing to bet that he'd do better than most if he one day manages England.

Some Derby fans forget he's having to teach these lads how to play a high level of against the grain passing football, they have next to no experience, I mean you can even see them looking across to him for help all the time! Combine that with no pot to p*ss in and **** fans that expect too much and it's quite a tough job....

I think Nigel and most of our players deserve praise for doing as well as they do!

Clough in, up the rams!

My God, what nonsense.

How can you even put "Nigel Clough" and "Premiership" in the same sentence? Your overhyping someone for no apparent reason. Granted He's brought in a young(ish) squad compared to most sides in the league, but Darren Wassell also deserves praise for the delevelopment of the youngsters. Not seen nobody mention Wassell when mentioning Hughes. Nigel Clough wasn't watching the reserves on a freezing cold night at Belper, instead it was Metgod!

You then say they have no experience? Keogh, Brayford, Sammon, Fielding, Roberts, Coutts, Bryson, Ward, Tyson, Buxton, Davies and O'Connor have no form of experience then? Only Hughes and Hendrick can be considered amongst the younger, less experienced players getting into the starting eleven each week.

Even then, Jeff Hendrick is rapidly approaching a hundred first team appearances for the club, that's not enough experience? How many more games does he need to be considered EXPERIENCED?

Then you later mention Clough will outdo a England managers record and could even manage the national side, can you seriously sit there with a straight face reading that?

"Nigel Clough the England manager"

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Clough will manage in the Premiership one day, I just hope it's with Derby. I'd also be willing to bet that he'd do better than most if he one day manages England.

Some Derby fans forget he's having to teach these lads how to play a high level of against the grain passing football, they have next to no experience, I mean you can even see them looking across to him for help all the time! Combine that with no pot to p*ss in and **** fans that expect too much and it's quite a tough job....

I think Nigel and most of our players deserve praise for doing as well as they do!

Clough in, up the rams!

I LOL'd

I'm glad it cheered you both up!

Seriously though, it's the same ***** over and over again. I can't see how anyone can doubt he'd be a top manager if he was allowed to bring in who he wanted. It's not like he's ever been unrealistic transfers wise, can you honestly say he's had the support he deserves?

My God, what nonsense.

How can you even put "Nigel Clough" and "Premiership" in the same sentence? Your overhyping someone for no apparent reason. Granted He's brought in a young(ish) squad compared to most sides in the league, but Darren Wassell also deserves praise for the delevelopment of the youngsters. Not seen nobody mention Wassell when mentioning Hughes. Nigel Clough wasn't watching the reserves on a freezing cold night at Belper, instead it was Metgod!

You then say they have no experience? Keogh, Brayford, Sammon, Fielding, Roberts, Coutts, Bryson, Ward, Tyson, Buxton, Davies and O'Connor have no form of experience then? Only Hughes and Hendrick can be considered amongst the younger, less experienced players getting into the starting eleven each week.

Even then, Jeff Hendrick is rapidly approaching a hundred first team appearances for the club, that's not enough experience? How many more games does he need to be considered EXPERIENCED?

Then you later mention Clough will outdo a England managers record and could even manage the national side, can you seriously sit there with a straight face reading that?

"Nigel Clough the England manager"

...ugh...

...this the same Darren Wassall who was a player under Clough at Burton? The same Wassall who was brought into the club after Nigel came in?

The same Brayford, Bryson and Buxton who got their first taste of Championship action under Nigel? The same Brayford who was a youth player under Nigel at Burton?

The team is growing together, that is the entire point.

Speaking of "Nigel for England", I recall seeing more than one article suggesting him as a long term future option for England during the purple patch of 10-11. I wouldn't think international management would be his thing, but who knows... At this point in time it doesn't look likely, but you never know in football.

I dont think that sounds irrational, in fact it sounds sensible. But I'm overwhelmed by the knowledge, well, prediction (based on recent history), that we will not get the reinforcements required. Clough will 'make do', thus creating another season of excusing from sympathists like some of the people here.

Some managers just get on with it. With Clough we seem to be in a perpetual state of rebuilding, in spite of him signing about 40 players in 4 years!

I don't see it as rebuilding.

He was buying players like Pringle when he had absolutely no money available to him. I'm sure he could have bought someone better than him (he is just an example, by the way), but the point remains he was only in a position to sign relatively unproven players.

Fast forward a while, and as soon as he's given a bit of money he signs players like Ward, Keogh and Sammon (totally open to opinion, but I think he adds something to the team). No doubt he's signed some duffers but he's got progressively better in the transfer market - that's fairly plain to see. And it's shown on the pitch, too.

If he can just make those few tweaks, then he's got a team strong enough for me to make a judgement on whether he's the right man to get us promoted. I'm not even saying he will definitely be the right person - I just want a level playing field to judge.

I'm glad it cheered you both up!

Seriously though, it's the same ***** over and over again. I can't see how anyone can doubt he'd be a top manager if he was allowed to bring in who he wanted. It's not like he's ever been unrealistic transfers wise, can you honestly say he's had the support he deserves?

Of course he has, I mean, it's not like other managements who are apparently good at this level have joined clubs, been given war chests that would give us nosebleeds and finished in a similar position to us.

I don't see it as rebuilding.

He was buying players like Pringle when he had absolutely no money available to him. I'm sure he could have bought someone better than him (he is just an example, by the way), but the point remains he was only in a position to sign relatively unproven players.

Fast forward a while, and as soon as he's given a bit of money he signs players like Ward, Keogh and Sammon (totally open to opinion, but I think he adds something to the team). No doubt he's signed some duffers but he's got progressively better in the transfer market - that's fairly plain to see. And it's shown on the pitch, too.

If he can just make those few tweaks, then he's got a team strong enough for me to make a judgement on whether he's the right man to get us promoted. I'm not even saying he will definitely be the right person - I just want a level playing field to judge.

I'm not going to argue with your post, it's sensible and reasonable. There's nothing in it to dispute, we just both see different futures for Derby under Clough.

Also I understand that but I don't doubt his ability to spot quality players that would play well for Derby. There have been many players that he has openly stated that he would like only to say "they exceeded our valuation"

But I suppose that's more about the board, backing and finances rather than Nigel's weaknesses which most managers have.

Also I understand that but I don't doubt his ability to spot quality players that would play well for Derby. There have been many players that he has openly stated that he would like only to say "they exceeded our valuation"

But I suppose that's more about the board, backing and finances rather than Nigel's weaknesses which most managers have.

In the cases of Le Fondre, Mackie, Sharp, Hooper, Austin, Lambert, Cox and Wood, I'd say bad judgement. All went on to prove to be worth more than Clough was willing to pay, and better than Sammon, who he was willing to pay double what he originally wouldn't budge on paying for. I think the Sammon transfer shows how Clough realised his valuation of players and judgements are way off. He wouldn't match Wigan's price 18 months earlier, then paid nearly double after! I'd say more than anything, Clough's LACK of scouting vision, and unwillingness to explore the cheaper foreign markets, considering the likes of Idiakez, Rasiak, Bisgaard and Reich cost nothing and slotted into a smaller wage budget..

In the cases of Le Fondre, Mackie, Sharp, Hooper, Austin, Lambert, Cox and Wood, I'd say bad judgement. All went on to prove to be worth more than Clough was willing to pay, and better than Sammon, who he was willing to pay double what he originally wouldn't budge on paying for. I think the Sammon transfer shows how Clough realised his valuation of players and judgements are way off. He wouldn't match Wigan's price 18 months earlier, then paid nearly double after! I'd say more than anything, Clough's LACK of scouting vision, and unwillingness to explore the cheaper foreign markets, considering the likes of Idiakez, Rasiak, Bisgaard and Reich cost nothing and slotted into a smaller wage budget..

Qualify this post.

name='mostyn6' timestamp='1361454094' post='390268']

Those parts, in the main.

Don't go off looking into your crystal ball, back it up with references.

[size=8][size=8][size=8][size=8][size=8]ಠ_ಠ[/size][/size][/size][/size][/size]

Everything about this post is nonsense, unsubstantiated rubbish. There's opinions, then there's just making things up.

Let's start with:

Le Fondre - Why do people rave about him, I still don't get this. By minute he's no better than Davies or Theo at this level? What more does he do for a team?

Mackie - QPR were spending, we weren't

Hooper - We were talking mega bucks here, far more than we could have ever afforded, this is just comical to bring up

Sharp - Was never an option

Austin - ...

Lambert - What?! I don't even get this?

Cox - worse than what we already have, cost more too, don't get what you're saying here

Wood - Cost more in fee and wages than any player at the club right now

Then you mention Sammon, who chose to go to a Premier League club... oh wow, what terrible work by the club!

Try sitting through 90mintues of the garbage recently, on a freezing cold Tuesday night.

You always quick to out others down if they disagree, yet you don't even goto the games. Your opinions are pretty void.

I watch the full replays of each game that I can.

Archived